Servo City Remote Head - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 18th, 2008, 05:36 AM   #31
New Boot

Thanks for the update Jon

How did you fry the receiver? just in case I do the same thing in the future.

The only thing that scares me about this unit is the way the joystick moves. Ie. with limitations on pan tilt movement as per the the limits on the physical joystick travel. From my understanding if you leave the springs in the joystick, when you take your hands off the controller and the joystick centres the pan tilt head does the same thing rather than just stopping. Have you found this hard to get used too or am i completely off the mark?

I also have the grizzly pro R-one, how do you compare the two Jon?

Thanks for taking the time to post, I know your busy
Cam Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #32
Major Player

I fried my receiver by shorting it out. My battery back had a tear in the cord that I didn't notice and set the receiver on fire which stinks considering its $100. I was in a hurry and wasn't paying attention.

Once servocity gets new gearing, I will like the system much more. Currently, anything more than a slight movement will create too much movement for video. They are working on a quiet servo which would be better than the current servo noise. If you are moving it slow, it's really not too much of a factor but fast movements are too loud for my intended use.

I have a Futaba 2.4ghz wireless transmitter which is light years better than the joystick that comes with the system. I really like the fact that I can use the system from across a church without needing any wires. I have a 2.4ghz wireless video transmitter that works pretty good. I have the entire system powered by a 6vdc battery pack(servocity) and a 9vdc battery pack(video). Both battery packs will run the system for hours. I have tested it for 2 hrs constant movement and video transmittion.

As for a comparison between the Grizzly pro and Servo city, there really only two, SC offers more movement(360 degrees on either axis) and wireless. Obviously the grizzly pro offers more options and its pretty silent. I have the 3 camera system and love it for what it is. The servo city head would need 3 remotes to control three cameras, as the grizzly pro needs one. If and when the gearing gets resolved on the servo city head I will like it as a one camera system compaired to the grizzly pro due to the wireless factor and probably movement as well.
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #33
New Boot

Help needed on my servocity pan/tilt system!

Hello Jon!

My name is Tim, I'm from the Netherlands and I have an urgent question.

I received my Servocity pan/tilt head a week ago, but I don't know how to install it on my crane or tripod, because of the weird surface.. Already sent them an e-mail with the request to send me an instruction manual, but still no reply..
I'm afraid if I make something myself, eventually my camera will fall off & that'll not be good for business! I was wondering how you created your surface to fit it onto your tripod. I also have some issues with the screws and bolts that came with the package. In the 2 bolts there are white rings that don't allow you to tighten it better. The plateau wiggles like crazy, so that's not so good either...

I also have the 985 series, and I think you have way more experience working with it than I do, so I really hope that you can send me in the right direction!

I hope to hear from you!

Grtz, Tim van Weldam
Tim van Weldam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:17 AM   #34
Major Player

What tripod are you using? Does it have a tripod plate? I suggest purchasing a piece of metal or Aluminium, then attach your tripod plate to the bottom of the Aluminium and then attach the servo city head to the top of the Aluminium. I will take pictures of what mine looks like.

I have had lots of people asking if I would make one for them. The piece of Aluminium cost me $15, the nuts and bolts cost another $3. With pictures of mine and a drill, you should be good shape to make your own.

I would also recommend seperate the POT from the arm(s), DO NOT REMOVE IT COMPLETELY, see pictures I posted in an earlier thread. The constant feedback isn't something you will want. You will need to be very carefull when you remove them, if not, it will break. http://www.omiatek.com/dvinfo/Cam4%20(Large).JPG

UPDATE:
I ordered the new gearing for Servocity last week and it should arrive this week. I hope it will make the movements much easier or slower. The stock gearing is WAY to touchy.

I also purchased the WEVI video transmitter. I would highly recommend either of their products, depending on your budget. I picked up the WV-5, which isn't the camera mountable one, for $325. The camera mountable one is way out of my price range.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:46 AM   #35
Major Player

Mounting to Crane

I used the Bogen quick release plate and mounted it to my crane. It makes for easy mounting and dismounting.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Adapter.html
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:44 AM   #36
New Boot

Hi Jon!

Thanks for your reply! I went to the local hardwarestore, bought a piece of alluminum and a couple of nuts & bolts.. Because I don't have the proper equipment at home, I left it at a shop that will drill all the holes for me..;)

I don't think my tripod is the right one for the Servocity Head.. I own a manfrotto 700RC2.. I was planning to use the remotehead on my crane (ProAm DVC-250).. I do have the Bogen Quick-Release you recommended, it came with my FigRig..

I do have one question: What is a POT?? Where can I find it on the remote head and what is the effect of modifying it?

Sorry for asking so much, but I'm new in this area. I don't have the technical knowledge yet. It's my first servocity product..

I hope you can help me again!

Thank you for your time!

Tim
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM   #37
Major Player

Here is a picture, compare it to your Servocity Head.

http://www.omiatek.com/dvinfo/pot.jpg

The pot must stay attached to the wiring that goes back to the servo. If not, it will not work. You will have to manually adjust the silver part the comes out of the pot to find neutral. + or - either way and it will be off one way or ther other.

Last edited by Jon Omiatek; April 22nd, 2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:13 PM   #38
Inner Circle

where did you get the WEVI WV-5 for $325 ?
(they sell it here for 300$) http://www.ggvideo.com/idx_videowave.php
i plan to purchase one an modify it to make it camera mountable.
after all this model must not be far from the other one.
a pair of small 5.2 ghz antenna is easy to mount.
you just need to remove the video plug from the printed board and make a nice aluminum box (antennas on top, plug at bottom)
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 06:17 PM   #39
Major Player

I bought it from the same place, add shipping and it will be more than $300.

I might take the cases off and see what would be involved. Camera mountable would be very nice upgrade.

They work awesome, nothing like it for the price.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:20 PM   #40
Inner Circle

ok, i will order one set + antennas and let you know if it is ok
I am pretty sure these guy do not re-engineer a full print board for the same device.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM   #41
Major Player

I opened the boxes yesterday and I think I will just mount as is. No need for a metal box, unless you want it to have a certain look. I am no electronics guy but it doesn't seem like it wouldn't be difficult to add an attenna.

Please do let me know if you get it to work.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:17 PM   #42
New Boot

Jon,

Thanks for the advice and the time you took to explain what a POT was! The photo was really helpful! I don't have time to work on it now, but I do have some time this weekend, so I'll let you know how it goes!

What kind of films do you make?? Do you have some work posted somewhere on the net?

Take care!

Grtz, Tim
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:33 PM   #43
New Boot

Hi Jon

would wevi work for live gigs or is the delay too noticable i believe it's 15 frames.

cheers

cam
Cam Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:24 PM   #44
Major Player

I am new to the wevi, so I don't have any real life examples yet. I am still waiting on my NEW gearing from Servocity. I am going to call them tomorrow to find out if it's even shipped yet. I have a shoot on Saturday that I would really like to use it on.

I plan on attaching it to my crane for weddings, as a remote camera and for a few sporting events. I will post footage as soon as the NEW gearing is installed. The gear it ships with is almost completely worthless for video. IT'S WAY TOO TOUCHY. Move the stick very slightly and it moves way too much.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:19 PM   #45
Regular Crew

They (IDX) are about to release a HD transmitter. Around $6000US and transmits uncompressed SD/HD-SDI signal with 1 frame delay!

See IDX site for NAB press release, I'm amazed that no-one has heard about it already. Havnt seen it on any forum I visit
Andrew Fraser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms