DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Jibs / Cranes / Booms (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/)
-   -   "Body Boom" the wearable jib. Check this out! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/11505-body-boom-wearable-jib-check-out.html)

James Emory July 1st, 2003 03:50 PM

"Body Boom" the wearable jib. Check this out!

The Steadicam rig now has some company in the unusal apparatus category

www.bodyboom.net

Glen Elliott July 1st, 2003 04:03 PM

Wow- looked at the demo footage- some very impressive shots. I'd be terrified to skate and shoot at the same time- I'd be afraid my ass would take a fall and wreck my gear!

K. Forman July 1st, 2003 05:10 PM

Has anyone submitted for a price yet? I'm curious, as they are giving away a $2500 vest with the purchase of one.

I'm also waiting to hear from the feminists, that this is just phallic compensation.

James Emory July 1st, 2003 05:28 PM

Body Boom price

Have mercy!! The Body Boom system costs $25,000. I like its versatility, but I can't see them moving to many of those at that price. You can get a complete Jimmy Jib Triangle package with a 40' reach that totes the full size cameras for that price.

Glen Elliott July 1st, 2003 06:35 PM

$25,000- ouch, that's 90% of my '04 Subaru Imprezza STi. I'll take the STi. :)

Dylan Couper July 1st, 2003 07:04 PM

That does seem pricey for an item geared towards prosummer level cameras. However, it does look like a great piece of gear.

Robert Knecht Schmidt July 1st, 2003 07:09 PM

$25,000--that's with insurance included, right?

I was disappointed they don't show any actual footage of the Body Boom being used while rollerblading, despite the fact that the still looks like it's a video capture.

Imagine totaling a $25,000 piece of support gear (plus a several thousand dollar camera) with one unlucky spill--not incomparable to crashing a BMW.

Matt Stahley July 1st, 2003 07:09 PM

Glen if you purchase the STi you must shoot some video of that thing! Im a '01 Impreza RS owner - the last of the good body style before they went to the ugly Dodge Neon style headlights on the WRX! I hope you enjoy your Subaru!

John Steele July 2nd, 2003 03:56 AM

Jeez, 25 grand there's no way that people who are buying VX2000's and PD150's etc are going to spend 25k on something like this. I think they may be a bit off with their target market.

John.

John Locke July 2nd, 2003 08:47 AM

Depends...does it attract babes?

Robert Knecht Schmidt July 2nd, 2003 01:03 PM

One would seem to be less approachable, not more, when one is encumbered by a giant metal truss. When a babe does come hither, careful not to knock out her teeth.

Glen Elliott July 2nd, 2003 07:34 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Matt Stahley : Glen if you purchase the STi you must shoot some video of that thing! Im a '01 Impreza RS owner - the last of the good body style before they went to the ugly Dodge Neon style headlights on the WRX! I hope you enjoy your Subaru! -->>>

*OT* Matt, no I don't have one I drive a '03 Protege 5- a stark comparison to the STi. Though it's in a pretty blue that's quite similar to Subaru's. I just saw a Silver STi the other day, for the first time on the road! Some old middle aged guy was driving it- poor Suby, it's needs someone with youth to run that thing the way it's meant to be run! *joke* ;)
If I wasn't in NJ maybe I'd already own one- insurance here is just too darn high, especially for a single male in his 20's!

John Locke July 2nd, 2003 08:44 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Knecht Schmidt : One would seem to be less approachable, not more, when one is encumbered by a giant metal truss. When a babe does come hither, careful not to knock out her teeth. -->>>

How many times have I heard that one!

$25 thou...that'd be enough for a good camera, lighting, incidentals, a Flex-track dolly, and a Skycrane premiere boom...and with change leftover. I think they'd better get a "grip" on reality.

Tom Koerner December 22nd, 2004 03:36 PM

HandHeld Jib, only $24 k

Wow, I'd have to agree; I don't think their anticipated market exists. I've been designing a handheld boom prototype that (if all goes well) i might attempt to start selling. I will eventually be adding motorized pan and tilf functions, but the footage of the thing in action should be available soon through a link here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&postid=255717#post255717

While I'm here; anyone wanna toss out a name for a lightweight, handheld boom?

Dan Selakovich December 23rd, 2004 11:56 AM

I saw this thing in person, and I'm sorry, I think this thing is just nuts! I'm sure you can get some cool shots, but it seems to me it's only a matter of time before the operator smashes his camera, an actor, or an innocent by-stander. Who of us has never stumbled, tripped or fallen? But hey, maybe I'm more clumsy than the average joe. Hope that price tag includes insurance!

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com