More pics and details on the boom build. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old July 6th, 2003, 03:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

More pics and details on the boom build.

Things are getting interesting since i am nearing the completion of this project. I have left, just the design of the circuitry to drive the pan and tilt steppermotors (LINK ADDED FOR THAT) and a few fine tuning and finishing touches to the boom itself. I also need to build the dolly now that it will ride depending on the shoot.. That will certainly use both the skateboard wheel design for track and also inflatable rubber wheels (interchangable). This will be a snap to build and should be finished by the end of the week.

I added more support last night to solve a (right left) resonating problem I had with the boom - now eliminated completely.. I posted a bunch of update stuff and some more pictures plus that new page I was mentioning earlier..

http://www.realnola.com/dvprojects/

--
Kevin Nardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2003, 05:21 PM   #2
Air China Pilot

Your boom rocks. That's a lot of work put into that machine. If you were in my city I would rent it.

Or, you know, just bug you so I could gawk.
Old July 6th, 2003, 05:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks

I have had people already ask if it would be for rent when I am finished with it. really still a lot of work to do in the electronics area but that is my thing, I should have that licked with no troubles. I would love to be able to rent it out and make some $$$ back..

My BIGGEST problem is that I am completely and totally out of money right now. I am owed from every direction and cant collect anything lol.. i need to make a few purchases that are key components to any boom. A nice big flat screen TFT monitor to mount on the boom, the DigiKey encoders and so on.. Tapped out..

I have a music video I am going to be shooting soon but I am trading for the unlimited use rights to their music on one of my productions so no money there.. I get the best deal though, I get the contract signed before they sign - a major label is approaching them right now so I need this agreement before they sign anything with the label.

Does anyone here know anything about this legal munbo jumbo stuff? They were approached by Atlantic and Lava, either one may sign them - what do I need in place before that happens? they are self published right now. EXTREMELY GOOD too...

--
Old July 6th, 2003, 05:41 PM   #4
High School Student

Very good work on the boom man...

You seem to know your stuff about stepper motors and all that right? I have about 6 of these pretty decent sized stepper motors, but I have no idea what I need to control them, obviously you need some kind of controllers or whatever...any advice would be appreciated.

About the band, i'd say get them to sign the deal with you before they get signed to a label, because then you'd have to deal with the record label... just curious, whats the name of the band?
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2003, 05:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Email me

i dont want to go off topic here, shoot me an email..
kev@icorp.net

--
Old July 6th, 2003, 05:51 PM   #6
Capt. Quirk

Kevin- Just out of curiosity, what will this boom have cost you when finished?
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2003, 06:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Ahhh the big question..

I will sit down right now and tell you to date what I have in it to the penny... stand by 1

materials Metal and parts like screws.

Supplies like new blades, belts for the sander, welding wire, and paint..

Grand Total of $141.58
thanks to the wife for keeping records..
All the steel was cheap, only 41.00
21 bucks into aluminum from the scrap yard just to point out a few items included in the above cost..

I have yet to get the money together to buy the other parts needed.. So add like 225 for the two 9 inch TFT monitors (Direct import from China), 100 for the encoders and extra drive chip. I have all the clad board for etching my circuit boards - add another 10 bucks for etchant solution as I am out.. Few here and there for odds and ends.. You can actually take half off the monitors because one is for my tripod.

here is where it gets interesting..
Like the aluminum yolk.. That thing would cost big.. The aluminum alone is expensive but a FREEBEE, all the machine shop time, again a FREEBEE. I did some of the machining myself and my friend did some in his spare time. All at no cost to either of us..

All other tiny items like bearings, all the engineering acetron plastic (for modeling and shimming or spacing where rubbing will happen), wire, switches (the switch I use currently to move the camera is a FAA PMA Certified switch used in aircraft to trim the plane out. 300 bucks alone. another FREEBEE from my days as an avionics technician), i have here in stock at my home shop. I used to build robots so I had a bunch of 1/4" #20 bolts and nuts all various lengths, stepping motors, tons of electronics parts and stuff like that. I am quite an inventive person with some time on my hands and a strange personality coupled with ADHD (being treated lol).

I love anything to do with lasers, electronics, high voltage, robotics, computers (since the early 80s), wood working, art, metal fabrication, cars, planes, and so much more..

Want a look into my world?

Here are a few links to one of my businesses which holds private pages of some of my work in other areas. I for example, designed (REDESIGNED) the first green laser pointer up to a power level capable of lighting a cigatette. Fault in manufacturing and one that could not be helped due to the nature of the laser and it's operational properties. I just saw the obvious and redesigned the circuitry and optics:) Was a first and almost got me in a ton of legal trouble with the FDA..
http://www.genlight.com/laser
the very first redesigned and modified laser pointer in the world to reach output levels like this one does.

http://www.genlight.com/robots/therobot.html
Of course the infamous robot, I am not one for cutting grass and hate the heat here so I built a robot to do it for me..

genlight is / was my first lighting company, I designed special LED under lighting products which took off big time.. another success that I lost because I lacked financial backing.

http://www.icorp.net/users/kev/tesla/zap.html
The tesla site is since 97 and just recently began a new face lift which is unfinished.
http://www.nerdtoy.com (brand new site I am working on right now)

now we are so far off topic that the moderator is certainly going to chew me a new one. I wanted you to get the WHOLE picture so you can understand where the motivation, parts, and time come from to build stuff like this.

--
Old July 6th, 2003, 06:51 PM   #8
Capt. Quirk

This forum tends to stray now and then, so the moderators don't usually mind a little here and there. I was seeing what it might run someone to have you build them. Partswise, not too bad.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2003, 06:55 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Parts wise..

Time wise.. that is another story..

I did save all the cad drawings of the parts and will be doing cad stuff for the entire boom since there is actually a demand for these.

i had tossed this around a little - building them and selling.. Maybe kits which would eliminate a LOT of my time and bring the cost way down..

Everything machined and welded, just needs to be assembled and you add your own control system till I get the one I am designing up to par, then I will be selling those for sure.

--
Kevin Nardelle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms