Help me choose a crane / jib at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old August 18th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #1
Trustee

Help me choose a crane / jib

Hi, I need a crane/jib for a shoot in september. I was thinking of getting a kesler crane, but according to Eric Kessler, the K-Pod is out of stock in the moment so I might not be able to get the crane in time.

I am looking for alternatives. For differents reasons, I can't rent. Please point me to some other cranes, ideally with 12' of range. I will be using an XLH1 with a bunch of accessories (35mm adapter, follow focus, matte box).

Thanks
Old August 18th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #2
New Boot

Check out the advantajib, made in Ontario. Light, and portable and capable of compound moves. I am very happy with mine.
Tony Moskal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #3
Trustee

First you will need a fluid head that will support the weight of all the little goodies added to your camera, around 23 pounds. Of corse you will want to weigh your gear to make sure of your load range. Something along the lines of the EZFX Jib, or the Seven Jib would be perfect for your camera. Then you will need sticks that will support more than 100 pounds.
And also counter weights.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:22 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Tony, the Advanta-Jib seems to be a really interesting product.

David: Yes, I am aware of that. I already have a good head. With the Kessler, I was planning to use their K-Pod. With the Advantajib, I don't think I need the head since the camera side is mechanically movable. I am wrong? I will also check the jibs you proposed.
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Try index I have the multijib, which is good for HDCam and other full size cameras, but there are some smaller ones there too. Glidecam makes some nice kit too.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #6
Major Player

I have an advantajib. Its an interesting l unit. Bit of a learning curve, but versatile. With the advantajib you do not need a head. the crane hooks via 100mm bowl to your legs (assuming they have a 100mm bowl) and the "head" for the camera is built in.

crane shots with a 35 adapter are tricky if you need to follow focus, and impossible to do manually if the crane is really tall. I've given up trying to hand focus shots while also trying to control the crane. and having 2 people handling the camera/crane isnt a great idea either. If you really need narrow DOF on a crane, you either need a lot of really specialized/expensive equipment, shots that dont change focus as they fly, or (my favorite solution) a ride-on crane where the camera op can fly along with the camera.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #7
Major Player

Only the best Kraft!

The versatility commercial is a riot. I bet that video has sold half their fleet....
Advanta-Jib Video and Photo Galleries
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #8
Trustee

I have the Jimmy jib. Very smooth, but more expensive than the others mentioned so far. With this unit you can pull focus, zoom, open/close iris, and do compound moves very smoothly.

The downside of this unit is that it takes longer than the others to set up, and heavier.

My most important criteria of a jib is how smoothly it performs. So far I haven't worked with anything smoother than a jimmy jib.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #9
Major Player

I bought the Kessler Crane 8/12 and would buy it again if needed, you can not ask for better service or nicer folks. The quility is outstanding and it flies smooth as silk.

Bill
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Turret

Turret makes a great Jib and a remote head

we shot with it for weeks in the desert, it's lightweight and very very easy to assamble, with interlocking joints-comfortable..
i actually had a chance to buy it at NAB and compared it to all the other cranes reccomended in this thread, and taking into mind price, ease of assembly and lengh it was the best choice..
do make sure you get a good demonstration of the crane you choose, check out the remote head and the taking apart assembly procces since in the end it all comes down to this..

Good luck

Lior
Lior Molcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 08:39 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Have you checked into the Jonyjib? John Huffman at Jonyjib makes a great jib (with all the accessories you'll need) and his service after the sale is second to none.

I own one from John and am very satisfied.

One other thing . . . you might want to really think the 35mm adapter on the jib. Focus (even with a guy pulling focus) is going to be a beast with the 35mm adapter.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms