DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Jibs / Cranes / Booms (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/)
-   -   A Jib for the Wildlife Filmmaker (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/141686-jib-wildlife-filmmaker.html)

John Estcourt January 31st, 2009 06:30 AM

Hi Paul, glad you are as pleased as I am with the jib.
I eventually managed to get outside with it for about an hour (in between the rain/wind)
and I took it down to the harbour, its a steep learning curve and I need a monitor but it was easy to carry / setup and opens up a whole new dimension to filming.
Now if only the weather would improve!

Paul Inglis January 31st, 2009 09:00 AM

Hi John,

Thanks! It is a pretty cool Jib Arm! I can relate to you about the weather - hopefully it'll improve soon!

I purchased a monitor direct from Hague themselves for less than a hundred. I had to remove a swivelling cover in order to access the 1/4" socket and modify some cables but it's good for the money! Check them out here - I got the LCM 700

Eric Stemen January 31st, 2009 02:00 PM

Hey David, could you tell me what the boom range is on the Glideshot jib(from the lowest it will go, to the highest)?

David C Wright January 31st, 2009 03:28 PM

Glideshot

Hi Eric,

The arm is on the short side, I am away on a shoot so can not give you exact figures as it is at home but gives a rise/fall of about 4' to 5'. It is a little limited but I like the fact this is small enough to carry to remote locations etc. Height etc is obviously governed by what legs you mount this on.

Michael at Glideshot is very helpful if you have questions

David

Eric Stemen January 31st, 2009 11:15 PM

Thanks for the response David. With the arm only measuring 4 feet in length that's what I was estimating it would boom. The boom range would be plenty for this cave documentary I'm going to start on. I did some test shooting and cranked to the center column of my tripod down to see how it would look. It looks cool even with the 1.5 feet of travel I had, unfortunately its to slow and jerky. Looks like I will be ordering this jib. Thanks for the recommendation David.

David C Wright February 1st, 2009 08:20 AM

Cave shoot

Hi Eric,

I may have misled you, or at least need to clarify, the arm is allows a travel of around 4' which is pretty good for a project like yours. The other thing I did was make an extension piece that puts the counter weights further out from the center of the arm, meaning you need less weight. That is good for when you need to transport the kit.

David

www.lunaseafilms.com

Eric Stemen February 1st, 2009 02:21 PM

Nah, you didn't mislead me. If anything my last comment was worded poorly. The Jib says it is 4 feet in length so I guessed it would give about 5 feet of boom travel. It looks like I'm a little off in my guess, but like you said, this should be more than enough for my project and I ordered it last night.
Thanks again for the clarification though.

Eric Stemen February 10th, 2009 12:59 AM

To give a little more info on this jib. It will boom 3.7 feet. It goes much higher than it does lower....although if I were to cut out a notch at the plate that attaches to the tripod it should be able to go lower.

The way everything is now:

Tripod height 2 feet 10 inches.
Jib's Baseplate for camera lowest height 2 feet 2 inches.
Jib's Baseplate for camera at highest boom level 5 feet 10.5 inches.

Total Jib boom height = 3 feet 8.5 inches if my math is correct.

It's to early to make a judgment on this support yet(I\'ve only played around with it for maybe 30 minutes, I still need to buy weights to balance it out. Next step should be some sort of pan/tilt control.