Cobra Crane for EX-1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old January 28th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cobra Crane for EX-1?

I'm looking at the Cobra Crane I kit for my EX-1. Is anyone familiar with it? It will hold up to 6.5 pounds. I intend to use the EX and original battery only to keep the weight down.

http://www.cobracraneusa.com/cobracr...lete-kits.html

This will be my first crane. Are they easy to use or is it a process like learning Steadycam?

Any feedback/tips/options appreciated!
Arthur Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Major Player

learning curve

It will be more like learning to use a tripod properly... executing compound moves with a tripod... tracking a subject while tilting, panning and zooming all at the same time. The steadicam is a much greater learning curve, in my opinion.

Also, a multitude of different shot possibilities with a jib.

Greg
Greg Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm also intrigued with the idea of purchasing this crane. A representative from Cobra assured me I would be happy with it flying an EX1.

What bothers me is the single tube design. Resting at the upper limit of weight spec, the EX1 could tend to wobble and torque due to center offset. At least that's what I read somewhere (never used a jib before), but it makes sense. Feathering a start/stop could be tricky as well, judging from the demo footage shot flying a PD-170.

I would be very interested as well to hear from someone who's used the unit. Ease of setup and functionality with the EX1 or similar would be great feedback.
Bill Heslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Kessler Crane

I found Kessler Crane a good design and price and I think they're a DVInfo advertiser too.

Kessler Crane® - Quality Professional Camera Cranes, Camera Jib & Camera Support Products - Crane Kits
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have mounted one of my EX1's on an EZFZ jib. The jib works great. Very stable. Controlling the EX1 on an armature is another thing. Complicated moves are difficult because there's relatively few controls available remotely. Using the swing out monitor is not an option for some camera moves.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #6
Inner Circle

It says that it's rated to 6.5lbs? That's puny. An EX3 wieghs 7.5lbs. An EX1 with a few goodies like big battery etc might easily exceed that payload. Most of the jibs I've worked around are always overloaded and it's no fun.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #7
Major Player

It looks much like the HAGUE HDV BOOM K8 with TILT CONTROL that I’ve just gotten for my EX-3 (It’ll hold a maximum of 4kgs – so I need to be careful about adding any accessories!!!).

So far I love it and it gives me no problems!!!

The only thing I’ll say is that the…;

LNC-50 LANC Controller
12' LANC Extension cable

…won’t fit!!! You’ll need either the Varizoom or Bebob EX extension cable and a Bebob, Varizoom, Manfrotto or the like EX controller!!!

Other than that – if you’re careful it should be fine!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #8
Inner Circle

A few years ago at NAB I played with what looked like an easily transported jib.

Advanta-Jib

I got the hang of it in about five minutes. The head was carrying a Canon XL1. It also provided tilt and pan independently of the jib.

The whole thing felt solid enough and the motion was very smooth. It all looked well-built, too.
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #9
Inner Circle

All the Kessler Cranes range from 20lb to 50lb capacity. It's one reason I posted it.
Their $489 5.5 Crane can handle up to 50lb
Their $699 8/12 Crane can handle up to 20lb.
An EX1 or EX3 well loaded won't even cause it to break a sweat.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks very much for the posts. I'll investigate the products mentioned.

I'm going to be filming alligators in March from an elevated walkway. Is there a crane technique whereby I could lower the camera below tripod level to get it closer to the water? This may be a dumb question but as I said this is my first crane.
Arthur Hancock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms