DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Jibs / Cranes / Booms (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/)
-   -   Best Crane system for around $1000 to $1500? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/144284-best-crane-system-around-1000-1500-a.html)

Douglas Wright February 21st, 2009 12:34 PM

Best Crane system for around $1000 to $1500?

I have a canon XH-A1 and I'm looking for a for the best crane system I can get for that price range, tripod included. If anyone can point me in the right direction it will be greatly appreciated.

David W. Jones February 21st, 2009 02:30 PM

You did not say what length you were looking for, nor did you mention whether you were just flying the camera, or the camera with accessories.
Different length cranes or jibs have different weight limits.

You said that you were looking for a crane & tripod with a budget for around $1000 to $1500.
Do you already have an HD field monitor to monitor your shot, and a remote follow focus unit or lance control unit to zoom or focus the lens once the camera is mounted to the crane?
Just something else to think about in your budget.

Douglas Wright February 21st, 2009 07:55 PM

As far as length, I think something 7 feet and above would be good. I mainly need something that will fly the camera, but if it's able to handle accessories that I'd be able to get in the future would be good.

I'll be buying an hd monitor, but I didn't want to price it as part of this package. I don't have any remote accessories... as of yet.

I'm just looking for something to get me started with my limited budget...hopefully I can find a unit that I can build upon when I get more cash later on.

Brian Murphy February 22nd, 2009 08:38 PM

Kessler. Check out their page kesslercrane.com/.

Douglas Wright February 23rd, 2009 12:45 PM

I'm very interested in the Kessler....is there anything equivalent to this on the Kessler: http://www.ezfx.com/index.php?option...b2e3f99e3bacc7 ?

Also, can you easily mount the camera on the tripod that's part of the complete package like an ordinary tripod? Can the jib be locked in position?

Brian Murphy February 23rd, 2009 02:26 PM

If you go to the Kessler page under accessories you will find the "Ball Relocater" which is on my list of need to order. This will allow you to operate from the front end of the crane.

Chris Beller February 23rd, 2009 09:05 PM

To clarify, the ball relocator will allow you to mount a fluid head on the camera basket to operate from that end. I just wanted to make sure it was clear that a fluid head is needed with the ball relocater.

We have an optional quick plate you can get (if you don't already have one), so you can mount your camera to the Hercules 2.0 head, when not using your crane.

The crane can be locked in two ways, first is the Vertical Brake, the second is the Lighting Stand Clamp Mount.

D.J. Ammons April 30th, 2009 08:28 PM

After months of research and thinking about it I pulled the trigger tonight and bought a complete Kessler KC-8 system.

For right at the top end of your budget ($1,445.06 to be exact including shipping) I got;

Kessler KC-8 Basic crane with tools free assembly. Later I will add the brake, control handle, extension for 12ft, perhaps the short tip for 5.5 feet wheels, and who knows what else.

The "system" package I got also comes with the Hercules 2.0 head and K Pod tripod. I have a bogen tripod with a 503HDV head that would have worked but I didn't want to risk damaging it plus the K Pod / Herc can later be expanded to be a camera platform complete with a seat that rolls on flexible dolly track.

I added the Ball relocater accessory along with the 100mm to 75mm bowl converter so I can mount my Bogen 503HDV head on the end of the crane.

I also got the lighting stand clamp mount so I can lower the crane and use it as a tripod if needed.

Last but not least the ultra video clamp to attach the 8.9" Manhatten HD LCD I also ordered tonight to use with this crane.

I really went into this not wanting to spend more than $500-600 bucks but since I will be shooting live events like Wedding's and music acts I don't have the luxury of dealing with inferior equipment needing many takes. Most of what I shoot you just have one shot to get.

I like the way Kessler has made the crane modular and you can upgrade from the basuc KC-8 to the best of everything they sell as money and time allows.

Now I have to wait until it gets here to start practicing so I can use this correctly.

Oh, and I have to dream about a PT30 turrett or the new Kessler Axis system if it is any good!!!