DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Jibs / Cranes / Booms (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/)
-   -   Tall tripod or crane? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jibs-cranes-booms/152402-tall-tripod-crane.html)

Eric Larson April 2nd, 2009 07:33 AM

Tall tripod or crane?

I currently shoot sports events where I put my tripod on a table and stand on a short ladder to get the camera about 9 ft off the ground. So I have better perspective.

I'd like to stop putting the tripod on the table as it is a bit of a cludge. And was wondering if anyone makes a tall tripod or do I need to go with a crane? I wouldn't mind getting the camera up to about 10-12 ft in the air. Minumum of 8ft.

A crane or jib seems like a lot of extra equipment for what I'm doing.

Any ideas?

Don Bloom April 2nd, 2009 08:45 AM

Bogen 3246 with the center column fully extended will go to 8 feet-thats also with the lower leg extentions also fully extended.

Brian Murphy April 4th, 2009 08:27 PM

check this out. I don't use one but many of thte guys I know have the three leg version.
Spider Support Systems Spider Pod Portable Tripod Riser and Standing Platform at Markertek.com

Eric Larson April 4th, 2009 08:33 PM

I ordered the successor to the 3246, the 028B. goes to 8ft.
Maybe down the road I'll get a spider to take it to 10ft. But 1200 for 3 metal legs seems a bit pricey.

Harold Schreiber April 5th, 2009 07:53 AM

Hi Eric,

Just curious, after primary set-up, do you have to readjust the Cam once you've set it up, or can you mostly point and shoot ?

What do you watch to see what the Cam is seeing ?

And, are you using the OEM short control handle ?

Harold

Eric Larson April 5th, 2009 08:07 AM

Yes I operate the camera standing on a ladder, the camera is moving almost continously.
Here is a link from my latest event
6 Winners Video of 2009 AKC National Agility Championship | Agility Vision

This was in an arena, but normally I'm ringside with tripod on a table and me on a ladder. Obviously the higher I can get the better, up to about 15 ft.

Buba Kastorski April 5th, 2009 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Larson (Post 1054145)

looks great, and control is very good, I don't think you'll get the same level of control with the crane, I would get a spider

Harold Schreiber April 5th, 2009 10:12 AM

Hi Eric,

Those are cute. A miniature version of the Horse Shows (the Stadium Jumping portion) I did, which lasted 10 ot 13 hrs at a clip, and two to three days in a row.

In my venues, I either used the back of my PickUp Truck - outdoors, or most indoor arenas have some kind of raised platform I could set-up on.

Looks like you may be using the Cam's Zoom Control, and probably the Side LCD Viewer or the rear Eye viewer, and the OEM short control handle.

Aside from using the table and ladder options, or the extended height Tri-Pod, to gain height, I'd also suggest using the DIY "IR-Remote by FiberOptic Cable" Mod to control the Zooming, a 7" to 15" LCD Monitor to watch what the Cam is seeing, and a DIY extendable (2' to 4') control handle attached to a DIY made Vertically Articulating "Cam to Tri-Pod" Mount - to guide the Cam.

With these Mods and tools, you can sit comfortably, with the Cam - way up there, while Zooming and guiding the Cam by watching the Monitor. Makes doing this type of Video much easier, and less tiring. At least it has for me, in all the years I've been doing it.

If you're interested, I can send you Pics of my equipment set up. These Mods are easy and cheap to make.

Harold

Brian Drysdale April 5th, 2009 10:18 AM

You could get a ladderpod.

Eagle Camera Support Systems - Home Page

They are very stable. Also, if it's just a one off you don't need to buy one, just rent it from a rental house.

Eric Larson April 6th, 2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Schreiber (Post 1054575)
Hi Eric,
Aside from using the table and ladder options, or the extended height Tri-Pod, to gain height, I'd also suggest using the DIY "IR-Remote by FiberOptic Cable" Mod to control the Zooming, a 7" to 15" LCD Monitor to watch what the Cam is seeing, and a DIY extendable (2' to 4') control handle attached to a DIY made Vertically Articulating "Cam to Tri-Pod" Mount - to guide the Cam.

Harold

The camera has LANC on it and I just recieved in the mail today a Varizoom VZ-rock to control the zoom and start/stop. But I'm definetly interested in seeing your DIY control handle and vertically articulating cam to tripod mount. Standing on a ladder for long periods of time gets very tiring because you can't move around.

Harold Schreiber April 6th, 2009 04:29 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Eric,

Here's some Pics.

I made both single, and dual, extendable control handle systems for two of my Tri-Pods.

I also made two of the articulating Cam to Head mounts, along with the IR-Remote/FiberOptic Cable mods for all my Cams.

I've been using them for years.

Harold

Eric Larson April 6th, 2009 05:29 PM

That's pretty cool. Probably a bit beyond my mechanical skills.

Bill Pryor April 6th, 2009 06:15 PM

A small jib would do the trick for you, as long as your tripod is heavy enough to support it. Camcrane makes probably the best quality for the money, under $500. With both sections it can go to 10', with one it's about 5'. So with the short one on a normal tripod, you'd probably be high enough for your needs. Some of the cheaper jibs require that you mount them on your tripod head which is probably not a good idea. Only problem with the Camcrane is it doesn't lock down. But it's smooth as a politician asking for money. You'd need a small monitor too.

Chris Callaghan April 6th, 2009 08:05 PM

Tall tripod - Try a light stand

I had a similar need for "sky hook" in a concert video. I used a tall light stand, basic height about 2.8m (9foot). Usually these come in pairs, and mine had a cross member which fits into the center column, to extend it above 10ft.
I made a bracket screwed to the column. It was a simple matter to attach my pan/tilt head to the top, and then locked off the camera.
BEWARE. you should put plenty of weights on the legs, and if possible secure it against something else. A tip-over from that height is seriously destructive to your camera and any unfortunate trippee!!
check out the result at 1min 09sec in and again at 3min 33 sec on the far right behind the speaker stand.

YouTube - Talempong Forest Rhythm Hunters Jenolan Thunder 2008

Brian Drysdale April 11th, 2009 02:50 AM

You could check out their Pod Support System:

Spider Support Systems