Skycrane Tripod Options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 1st, 2004, 10:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Skycrane Tripod Options

I'm looking at one of our sponsor's Premier jib model:

http://www.skycrane.com/premier.html

and it says the unit mounts on a standard 3/8" stud plate. The recommended tripods are the Bogen 3051 or 3061. However, the 3061 uses a 90mm bowl mount according to B&H. Does this mean I have to buy a center column to drop into this, and which one? There is a huge load capability difference between the 3051 and 3061, i.e., 26 lbs vs. 66 lbs.

Are there better options for a heavy duty tripod (it does not need a fluid head according to Skycrane)?
Marc Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 05:04 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

If I were you I'd contact Skycrane and B&H directly and see what
they have to say?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 05:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I will email Skycrane next week, but they may not have information on other tripod options, such as those by Cartoni, Miller, Gitzo, Sachtler, etc. How many forum members even own the top-of-the-line Skycrane? I was hoping someone here was an expert on tripods, in general, since I don't plan on buying multiple tripod for jibs. That happens when you buy the wrong one in the first place.

We need a faq on the advantages/disadvantages of 100 mm bowls, 100 mm half bowls, 75 mm bowls, flat mounts, grooved rapid columns, ground spreaders, single-stage, multi-stage, multi-arm, and all that tripod-speak. Unbelievable that something as simple as 3 legs and a mount can generate so much head scratching (on my part).
Old January 6th, 2004, 10:54 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I'll ask SkyCrane inventor Bob Jones to pop in and respond here.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 11:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

You may want to also take a look at the cheaper, and yet longer CobraCrane II+ by ProMAX.

http://www.promax.com/Products/Detail/28034
Kevin Maistros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 02:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Kevin,

Have you used the cobracrane? I'm curious about how smooth it is, easy to set up? What about adding extensions?

My experience is with the glidecam camcrane and the ezfx jib. The Ezfx is like twice the cost, but was quicker to set up and smoother motion than the glidecam. This is not to say that the glidecam was crummy. I thought it was a blast, and not terribly difficult to set up, but after using the ezfx, I can say there is definetly a difference. Both models use the parrell support leveling system, I've never used a cable tilt system. Is this much more difficult to use?

Thanks,
martin
Martin Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 09:21 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes, I have a CobraCrane II+ with the 12' extension.

It is as smooth as silk to opperate. Very easy to set up. It took me 10 minutes because I watched the instructional video that came with it. Adding the extension was very easy, too. It slides in and screws tight via 5 thumb bolts on each arm side. You elevate the arms by pushing down on the cross balanced bottom, and tilt the camera via the cable tilt systen with the tripod head, by moving it up or down. It also has openings in the arms specifically for cables from the camera accessories, monitors, controllers, etc.

It's a very great deal. Great quality, low price.
Kevin Maistros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 06:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Martin Garrison : Kevin,

My experience is with the glidecam camcrane and the ezfx jib. The Ezfx is like twice the cost, but was quicker to set up and smoother motion than the glidecam. -->>>

This is an interesting alternative. If anyone has tried the Ez fx handle (manual pan-tilt control) vs. the MC-100 motorized pan-tilt head, I'd like to hear their opinion on ease of use and cost effectiveness. The cost comparison is $279 vs $3199. At the upper end, it makes you think about the jimmyjib as another choice.
Old January 18th, 2004, 01:48 AM   #9
New Boot

I don't know what you mean by better, but I am planning to use a set of Miller legs with a Premiere that Bob is building for me right now. They are rated for more weight than the Bogen legs.
They have a 75mm bowl and are usually set up with my DS-10 head, but I will remove that and replace it with a Bogen - Manfrotto 3284 75mm Half Ball.

check this link

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=150732&is=REG

I am also getting a Panhead from Skycrane with the Premiere so I will let you know how the whole thing works as soon as I get it.

I'm pretty excited and looking forward to gettting it and getting it up in the air. I am also really pleased so far with my interactions with Bob jones from Skycrane, he's a really great guy to talk to and since he is a sponsor here, I have full confidence his crane is everything he says it is and more.

I'll keep everybody posted.

Joe
Joe Romano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2004, 11:35 PM   #10
Major Player

did you get the crane and how did you like it?

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms