8' Kessler and XH-A1 - how much weight? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 11th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #1
Major Player

8' Kessler and XH-A1 - how much weight?

I just received an 8' Kessler crane that I will use with an XH-A1. I know some of you use this combination. I am curious as to how much weight you use to balance everything with different configutrations. I anticipate using it with only a handful of configurations -- the biggest difference being the use of the heavy WD-72 wide angle lens. I bought two 10 lb., one 5 lb., and two 2½ lb. weights to get me started after reading some posts online. Hopefully I can use a combination of these to get pretty close.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Sponsor: Kessler Crane

Because our weight bar is adjustable forward and back to fine tune the balance of the crane, the amount of weight will vary. A middle of the weight bar weight requirement for the 8 ft crane is 7.5 lbs. to balance just the crane with no camera.

Then add 1.5x the weight of the camera. So, if your camera weighed 10 lbs you should add 15 lbs. Just multiply the weight of your camera by 1.5 to get the added weight amount you will need.

Hope that helps.
Old July 12th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, Chris. As I was walking in the house to see if anyone had responded before trying to set up the balance, it dawned on me that it really could vary a lot depending on the position of the weight bar. Doh!

Phil
Phil Murray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms