SKeyeWALKER : Genious or Insanity? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 8th, 2004, 06:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

SKeyeWALKER : Genious or Insanity?

I am a huge fan of non-traditional camera movements, and in addition to that i'm broke. I have access to good equipment through Ohio University, but for things like Jibs and Dollies we are on our own.

I came across the SKeyeWALKER at http://www.skycrane.com/walker.html . I had already done some expiramenting with that sort of base-less jib when I was working with a ghetto jib one shoot, so I had been planning one in my head but never really thought it could work - until i found this one.

Has anyone had any experience with this thing? I'm planning on building one this winter, and I intend to expand on that model quite a bit, namely I am going to add servo control for one axes (controlled on the static handle), and have a more sophisticated, well balanced camera mount. Probably a larger wheel to control camera rotation too.

Is this scheme too grandiose? Is the concept fundamentally flawed in some way I can't foresee? Or does it just not look good? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 8th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Tom,

I actually have one in my closet. It works great (as advertised) for smaller cams; I used it with an Optura Pi. You should talk to my friend Bob Jones who designed it -- I'm sure he'll have some input for you regarding modifications. I'll be happy to put you in touch with him.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info. I think I'm definately gonna take a swing at it. I've got pretty set ideas in mind, but if I run into "crud, I'm a moron" I might take you up on that Have good times.
Old November 11th, 2004, 05:47 PM   #4
Sponsor: SkyCrane

SKeyeWALKER

Howdy Tom,

I'll have to say the SKeyeWALKER is total insanity...

What I find strange is the fact that the SKeyeWALKER never really took off the way I thought it would. I had visions of the hand held jib out selling the tripod mounted jibs 4 or 5 to one, never happened.

The SKeyeWALKER really does lend itself to give you some very different perspectives.

Tom, if I can assist you in anyway, please don't hesitate to drop me a line or give me a call.

The Best...
Bob

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms