Jib Arm... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old December 19th, 2004, 09:06 PM   #1
New Boot

Jib Arm...

I'm just entering pre-production on an independent DV film shot in upstate NY. I have secured a mansion in my area to shoot at next fall. I'd like to put in a shot of a car approaching the mansion from a long driveway that curves.

I was thinking about using a Jib. I found this website which sells them. Does anyone know if they are reliable? Thanks.

http://www.studio1productions.com/dv_jib.htm

Christopher.
Christopher Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2004, 09:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Here is a thread about that company. It's back in 2003 though.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ght=Studio+One
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2004, 10:31 PM   #3
New Boot

Hello fellow Upstate New Yorker, I'm from Corning, NY. but currently live in KY.

I've actually used the jib arm from Studio 1 with my DVX100 and it does a nice job. It's fairly portable and easy to set up, however you have no camera controls as far as zoom or focus. One negative is that the jib arm mounts off center to the tripod plate so you really need a heavy duty professional tripod to get smooth results. If you're thinking of using it with one of the less expensive Bogan's or the like, good luck. The jib arm is heavy enough to pop the plate right out of the tripod head. I borrowed a Gitzo from the TV station where I work and it worked well. For the price it's a reasonable way to add some cool shots.

Carl B.
Carl Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2004, 10:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

jib arm

Take a look at the SKYCRANE . Hear good things about it,plan on getting the skycrane jr,www.dvcontrol.com/skyproducts.html
Moises Crespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2004, 10:51 AM   #5
New Boot

Studio One...

Thanks;

I am still considering going with the stduio one Jib Arm, but I this I should upgrade my tripod to something really stable. Does anyone have any opinions on the Bogen - Geared Center Column Tripod - Triman #3046?

here's a link:

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=1274810&topCategory=1004&cat1=5849816

Thanks;

-C-
Christopher Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #6
Major Player

Admit I didn't look at the linked tripod but.. You won't be using a geared center column with a Jib. They put some serious pressure on a tripod.

I just purchased a Skycrane Jr. a couple of weeks ago. Works well, easy to setup. I'm flying a GL2 on it. Takes some getting used to because the camera end seems (at least when I'm using it) to have a little "jiggle" when you stop moving.

I bought an old OConnor film tripod and adapted it to the Skycrane and it works well. Also made a few mods to mount a LANC controller on a handle so I've got control over the cam.

Call Bob at Skycrane, he's super helpful and can provide more info.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms