Camera cranes for hobby-filmmaker at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 7th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #1
Tourist

Camera cranes for hobby-filmmaker

I'm new to this forum and I browsed through the old topics, but I couldn't find one about "cheap camera cranes". :-)

On Ebay you'll find different camera jib cranes for around 200 to 300$. I wanted to ask if somebody has bought one of these? Are they any good?

I don't shoot films for a living - it's just a hobby. So I don't have to rely on professional equipment. I'm just interested if you can do one or two nice shots with these cranes - just for effects.

Thanks.
Steven Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Let me recommend the book for sale over at dvcamerarigs.com. I'm not associated in any way -- just a satisfied customer!

His plans are clear and relatively simple to build. I've built a couple of them, and the hardest thing is getting the parts.
Robert Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #3
Tourist

Robert, the thing is I've got two left hands... so building it myself would be a pretty bad option. :-)

Anybody else who could help me?
Steven Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 10:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Robert, thanks for the nice words about my book!

Steven, if you can drill a hole, I really think you can make the cranes in "Killer Camera Rigs That You Can Build". And if all you need is a short jib that goes up about 8 or 9 feet, the "Killer's Kiss Crane" is the easiest thing in the world to make. Really, I think if you can open a jar of peanut butter, you can make this jib! And your local home depot will have all the parts for this jib--I promise! Plus it is designed to work with the dolly in the book, the 2nd most easy thing to build!

All my best,

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 11:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Dan's book is great.

I built the Killer's Kiss Crane and it is really neat.

It took me longer to paint it than it did to build it... but I still can't get that peanut better jar to open.

KIM
Kim Kinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #6
Major Player

to Steven Kaufman

Steven,

check this site:

http://homebuiltstabilizers.com/

you can find a lot exellent examples and with a liitle imagination and patience - you can build your own rig easily!

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms