pan/tilt crane question at

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old February 21st, 2005, 10:22 PM   #1
Major Player
pan/tilt crane question

Hello folks.

I'm going to be purchasing a crane and a motorzied pan/tilt head for my XL2 in the next few days. I am leaning toward the Glidecam Camcrane 200 ($425) and their vista pan and tilt head ($1,800). While searching the internet, I ran across Camera Turret Company Their PT20 seems to be an exact replica of the Glidecam head for $300 less. It appears they may even both be made by the same manufactuer, only with different brand names on them. Does anyone know if Camera Turret is a reputable company? I've searched this forum for Camera Turret Company and only found one post with no real information.

I checked out Varizoom, but their heads are at least $2000 more for a very similar product. I don't want to make a mistake, but I also don't want to spend money I don't need to.

I am open to any thoughts about what to purchase and why.

Vence Vida
Sony PMW-EX1R, Canon XL H1, XHG1, Panasonic GH2, Mac Pro 3.2 Quad running FCPS 3, FCPX, & Adobe Creative Cloud CC
Vence Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 12:39 PM   #2
MicroDolly Hollywood
Pan/Tilt Crane question

One thing to consider when it comes to a remote head. Any motorized head you get can come with problems. They can be noisy, weather conditions can cause problems, and if you ever mount it to a car the g-forces can affect them because they usually have a very light horsepower motor.

When it comes to a good remote head, one that gives you good range and smooth and silent motion, you might need to spend a bit more.

Also, check out the crane's weight capacity. When you've got a remote head on it, with your camera, and the counterweight, you might just get what you paid for...
Jibs, Dollies, Camera Mounts
Tim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew
I use the Glidecam crane. its great. no complaints from me.
Gregory Doi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms