Kessler Crane - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old July 30th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #46
Regular Crew

H--k is a form of H--L

Joseph
Joseph Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #47
Trustee

Just as an option look at the ProArm, for you cuz you're in US the DVC250 package will be under $1000, am really happy for the money I've spent

http://66.49.133.206/crane.html
Cheers!
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #48
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Joseph Hutson;720404]Hey, I am about to buy a Kessler.
Am I missing anything that I might need to buy or do I need to exchange anything that I shouldn't get.

Here is a list of items that you may find necessary for the jib operation.
Counter balance Weights
Monitor, monitor stand
wiring to make wiring harness and
straps to attach the harness to the jib
electric multi strip connection for indoor connection and
batteries for outdoor use.
Headphones if you're using a camera mounted mic system.

For added safety you might want to consider Bogen super clamps if you intend to elevate the tripod.
One advantage of using a jib is the ultra smooth shots
I would be a little leary of non variable speed zoom controls and push buttons for focus. It seems to me this might make the camera movements look robotic.

The Camera Turret PT-20 is made for smooth camera movements while rotating the jib.
A little pricy but you get what you pay for.

I hope this helps.
Allen W
Allen Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #49
Major Player

head and tripod for Kessler?

Would a gitzo 1380 75mm ball head and a gitzo mountaineer 75mm tripod support a 8ft Kessler Crane with a Sony Z1. Just making sure. THX
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Hola John!

I have a Kessler Crane, the 12 feet one, and I use it on this tripod: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Legs_with.html

I know that it's not an optimal setup, but that's the tripod I have. I have recently purchased the swivel head and I'll be buying this month some libec tripod legs to upgrade it. I don't know the capacity of your Gitzo tripod, but you can do a comparison with the link I sent you. As I told you, mine is not an optimal setup, but it works.
Old October 1st, 2007, 06:17 AM   #51
Trustee

Wow thats quite a risk to operate the 12 feetwith a 13.5 Ib rated tripod isnt it? I have a Vinten Pro6DC and I think it cannot even support the 8 feet.. have u actually tried the setup b4? I'm really interested to know.. otherwise I need a lot more time to save up for another tripod ;(
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 09:52 AM   #52
Major Player

I was thinking of getting the kessler 8 foot and using this tripod

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gs_Black_.html

with probably a 501hdv head. Wonder if anyone has any experience with that setup?
Stephen Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 11:14 PM   #53
Trustee

sounds a little on the under side.. I think something that can handle 50 Ib would be better. Check out the kessler review on DVX forums.. soemone mentioned that a total setup for an 8 ft is 50Ib including the counterweights so it would be better to get something stronger I guess..
Old November 24th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Kessler new tripod being developed..

When I talked to Eric at Kessler, he said they were working on a real heavy duty tripod that had a collection of feet options that would make McGiver envious.. He said it would also run on tracks, and all kinds of different feet and easily support just about any crane option you could think of.. He was talking about $400+ for the basic tripod and $600+ with all options.

I'm just going to run my crane with an old manfroto I have until they start selling this thing and then buy one.. a 12 ft Crane with a 12 lb camera and a turret takes about 50 lbs of counterweight, so if its a really solid tripod, its alot cheaper than fixing a camera that drops from 20ft up.. not to mention the liability of whoever it hits...
Brian Findlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #55
Major Player

Tripod for crane

Hey guys, have you ever thought of using a "Ultimate" brand speaker stand (or other brand) for your Jib? thats what I did, works like a charm and I never worry about the weight handling capabilities. between weight of camera, weight of jib (I have a ProJib 9.0) and the counterweights (22lbs for my set up), there is some serious weight there that pushes the limits on all but very pricey tripods. and one of the small speaker stands cost under a hundred bucks, and can handle pretty much all the weight you can throw at it. all you need is a 10" pipe of diameter that barely fits inside the stands tube and a pipe flange (about $7 at home depot) and some bolts to secure the gimble to the flange, this works like a charm. yes its another stand you have to carry , but your (nice, expensive) camera tripod will appreciate not being abused by the jib and all the weight. plus it leaves your tripod available for quick scene change without tearing down the crane.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #56
Regular Crew

Another option to consider is a used Samson Quickset tripod. These are available from time to time on EBay at a fraction of their retail price. I have one that came with a dolly wheel set and it easily handles my eight foot Kessler. The head is not a fluid head but that doesn't seem necessary given the mass and physics of the crane. I paid $100 for the legs, head and dolly but I have seen them go for much less.
Curt Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #57
Regular Crew

Glidecam Camcrane 200 vs Kessler

Any experience with these? how smooth is the tilting on the kessler? am I better off getting a remote pan and tilt and going with the camcrane 200
? is it sturdy? are tools needed to put the camcrane together? and how long does it take to put together on average?

I am looking for a crane in the 5-8 foot range so both are good for that, if anyone has any other suggestions let me know.
Chris Klidonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #58
Regular Crew

Hey Chris,

I have a Glidecam Camcrane 200 I bought years ago, used a few times and has been sitting in the basement ever since. If you're interested in a good deal, I'd be happy to part with it. We're both in NYC. Contact me off the forum if you're interested. Email and phone are both on my website (www.aftongrant.com).

Best,
Afton Grant
Old December 10th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #59
Trustee

I have the Kessler. I would say its a great crane with more flexibility compared to the Glidecam. I have the 8Ft which does experience some flexing but it can be controlled. If u like to improve they do have an option to add a support ribs.

Operation is pretty smooth. Setup is fast with 2 man. setting up alone takes me close to 15min on a comfortable pace but it is one tiring job esp on a hot day!

U can see my thread below with some footage. I will make more next mth.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=107010
Old December 10th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #60
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Gallegos View Post
Hey guys, have you ever thought of using a "Ultimate" brand speaker stand (or other brand) for your Jib? thats what I did, works like a charm and I never worry about the weight handling capabilities. between weight of camera, weight of jib (I have a ProJib 9.0) and the counterweights (22lbs for my set up), there is some serious weight there that pushes the limits on all but very pricey tripods. and one of the small speaker stands cost under a hundred bucks, and can handle pretty much all the weight you can throw at it. all you need is a 10" pipe of diameter that barely fits inside the stands tube and a pipe flange (about $7 at home depot) and some bolts to secure the gimble to the flange, this works like a charm. yes its another stand you have to carry , but your (nice, expensive) camera tripod will appreciate not being abused by the jib and all the weight. plus it leaves your tripod available for quick scene change without tearing down the crane.
Just bought a speaker stand with leveling leg which will support 150lbs. I will give it a try. I think it will work, thanks for the idea.....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...m_Speaker.html
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms