B Hague Jibs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 13th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #1
Major Player

B Hague Jibs

Does anyone here use the jibs Hague sell on their website, specifically the HDV Boom K8?

Hague HDV Boom K8

Anyone getting good results using one of these with an EX1 or Z1?

The prices seem reasonable and Hauge have a good reputation but I've never seen one in the flesh.

Thanks.
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi,
I have one of these. It's the only jib I have ever owned or used,so i can't make comparisons, but the construction and setup is simple and very sturdy. Using an FX1 with high cap battery pack there is visible bowing when using all three sections, but this doesn't seem to affect the footage too much. The only thing that is a slight issue is the fact that the box section it is built from is quite susceptible to even light winds, which is a bit frustrating - i guess this is a problem to greater or lesser extent with most jibs in the class. When balanced you can get some really nice flowing moves with little practice.
As a purchase I'd give it 8/10.
Here's a short made movie with a couple of shots from the jib, alongside a glidetrack for the dolly shots.
YouTube - treborsnave76's Channel
Hope that helps!
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #3
Major Player

That footage looks good. The only concern is if the jib is bowing with an FX1, the wrist breaking EX1 might cause even more problems.

As it's in sections I assume you can choose to use as 1,2 or all 3 sections depending on your requirements.

Am very tempted!
Old January 14th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #4
Major Player

The minimum is for 2 sections which allows from ground level up to about 8 feet i think?
Drop me a line if you fancy trying out out with the ex1- I'm based up in maidenhead so not too far.
Cheers,
Rob
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Major Player

Cheers.

In actuality I may end up sticking my Z1 on the jib because as yet I don't yet have a remote for the EX1, whereas I do have one for the Z1.

A couple of other more urgent things need purchasing first so common sense has prevailed. But soon......
Old February 27th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #6
Major Player

I've gone and purchased the HDV boom. I'm using it with a Pro-Touch 5, but am worried that the entire rig seems a bit heavy for it.

I set it all up to have a play, but what I found was the weight of the arms + counterbalance were pushing the tripod legs down on the left hand side. The entire rig is considerably heavier than the maximum rating for the tripod.

Any tips for keeping the entire thing level? I notice Hague are using something that looks pretty much like a Pro-Touch 5 on their demo photos. So presumably I'm doing something wrong.
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:33 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Marcus,

I'm also looking the Hague model so please let me know as I have the Vinten-5 as well.

Also can someone let me know what bowing is?

I was also looking at the Pan and Tilt crane from Hague
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I've the Hague Multi Jib which works well upto 4m reach - amazing for this level of jib. It'll take a full-size HDCam camera plus head (though it's pretty close to or above its weight limit at 4m!)
Highly recommend Hague stuff for the price.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #9
Major Player

Have you got any sample footage Steve? My videos end up on YouTube and I'm worried about the jerkyness of them?
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #10
Inner Circle

David,
Check this link S4C Natur Cymru - Video Diary and look for behind the scenes - Coed Crafnant woods. Shows me setting up the jib and some shots with it. I've used it for various BBC programmes but can't think where you'd find them on the web just now.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms