small, quick ,portable jib reccomendation? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms

Old November 21st, 2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Trustee

small, quick ,portable jib reccomendation?

I have a Kessler set up, bit I'm looking for something very portable, quick to set up, and inexpensive, fo weddings , etc. I guess I'm looking for the jibv equivalent to the slider ( I have a glide track).

I've looked at the web pages for Cine City in India and also the Tommy jib's smallest rig. They both seem to be priced right and fairly portable.
I'd like to hear what anyone else thinks and reccomends.

Bruce Yarock
Yarock Productions
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Bruce,

Have you checked out Cobra Crane's small jib setup?

CobraCrane BackPacker :: Digital Juice

I have a Kessler crane (5 and 8 foot) as well, but I'm thinking of this Cobra Crane back packer setup for portability.

Best,
Old November 22nd, 2010, 02:24 AM   #3
Trustee

Jeff,
Thanks for rthe info. It looks interesting. Have you also looked at the tommy jib and the one from cine city India?

I'm going to call digital juice tomorrow and see ir they have one in stock, since they're here in florida.
Bruce Yarock
Old November 22nd, 2010, 05:33 AM   #4
Trustee

don't forget the Kessler pocket jib & dolly combo - I use them for weddings.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:45 AM   #5
Trustee

Paul,
The pocket jib is way more expensive than what I want to spend, plus it looks harder to set up than the one that Jef mentioned ( and the other two I mentioned). Alo, I lready have a glidetrack .
I just want something easy and inexpensive. Ther's just never time or space to set up and use my Kessler 8'/12'.
Bruce Yarock
Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:47 AM   #6
Trustee

Jeff,
Have you seen one of the Cobras in action and tried it personally?
Bruce Yarock
Old November 22nd, 2010, 08:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm also in the market for a Jib. Before now, I was going to buy the Kessler Pocket Jib. Does the CobraCrane Backpacker have any sizable disadvantages? It sure is a lot cheaper.
Mitch Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:59 PM   #8
Trustee

I ordered the cobra crane backpacker and will have it Wednesday. I'll post once I've tried it.
Bruce Yarock
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:06 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Bruce,

Sorry for the late reply. Been out shooting homes for a real estate show we're conceiving, thus the need for a much smaller, and easier jib.

No, I haven't had any experience with the Cobra Crane; but I didn't have any experience with a Kessler before either :)

From the video that Digital Juice has up, the Cobra looks like it's fairly easy to setup and handle. And the price is attractive as well. (Which is probably why you bought one :)

Please let us know how it works out for you Bruce. I'd be interested in how the Cobra is transported (in a backpack?), how it's setup and used, and how quickly it can be packed.

Good luck,
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:11 PM   #10
Trustee

Jeff,
I'll let you know how it works after I put it through its' paces on Thursday( supposed to be here omorrow afternoon). I'm planning to use it for a wedding on Saturday.
I've really loved the jib shots we've been able to get with the Kessler, but it's so big and time consuming to set up, that I rarely get a chance to use it.Most of what we're doing lately is smaller, quick jobs, with limited time and space, and hopefully we can now incorporate some jib shots in these productions.

My girlfriend/partner was surprised and concerned that I just spent another $375 on video gear, so I told her that the person to blame was a guy named "Anselmo":)

Bruce Yarock
Old November 25th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock View Post
I ordered the cobra crane backpacker and will have it Wednesday. I'll post once I've tried it.
Bruce Yarock
Please do. I would be interested to hear what you think.
Mitch Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #12
Trustee

I got it late wed and set it up pretty quickly. The instructions are pretty sketchy...it's basically one page with tiny pictures that aren't to helpfull. I had to call them as I was setting it up to ask how to jib and tilt the head simultaneously. Basically, the jib arm controls the up and down motion , and you use the tilt on your tripod head to tilt the camera, like for overhead shots lookimng down. This is the reason they reccomend putting your pan arm on the left side of the head. This way you're using your right hand to do the traditional jib move, and your left to tilt the camera .

Once you figure out the set up, it's pretty quick. I have a wedding on Saturday and I'm going to try and transport it all together ( minus the camera).It's a little long assembled ( 82" form camera plate to bottom of weights) but I think I can fit it diagonally in the back of my pick up. While they claim at Cobra that it takes less than a minute to set up ( assuming you break it down to shipping dimensions and put it in it's carrying bag), it's really more like 15 minutes, which isn't bad.

Although I only did a few shots in the back yard, it feels pretty good, and Im sure I'll get some good shots with it. The up-down and tilt will take a little getting used to. It helps that I have experience shooting with my bigger Kessler.

My one suggestion to Cobra is that they create a better set up manual ( maybe 2 pages with usable pictures) and maybe even a video dedicated to this model ( backpacker) with close ups of everything).

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it and look forward to trying it out on Saturday. I'll also post my results.

Bruce Yarock
Old November 26th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #13
Trustee

Wedding gig canceled. I'll post after I've used it at my next job.
Bruce Yarock
Old November 27th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #14
Major Player

Hi Bruce,

Hope you and yours had a nice Thanksgiving!

Sorry to hear about the cancelled wedding, but great to hear that you're happy with your Cobra Crane purchase.

And you should've let your girlfriend know that it was from a guy named "Eyebuymo" (From Nigeria?) and not from "Anselmo" :)

Best,
Old November 28th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #15
Major Player

I have a new Cobra Crane jib and it works just fine for an FX1 with a heavy wide angle lens on the end.

I bought it as a first since I had never used a jib before. I did not need any instructions as it was intuitive to set up and use with the exception that I needed a long RCA cord.

Really easy to use and get the hang of right away and there customer service and support was awesome.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms