Advanta Jib Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 4th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Advanta Jib Help

Hi there

Can anyone guide me how to remove air bubbles from
advanta jib fluid pipe.

thanks
Rajiv
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Advanta Jib Help

when i got bubbles, this was the instructions from advantajib. In my case, my seals on the pistons are shot, so the bubbles keep coming back. I need to send it back to get them serviced. A lot of people report problems if they use too light a spring for the camera and try to "force" the lift. Be careful to use the right spring.

-----------------------
Put all of the extension tubes and tail tube on the jib so that the coil is stretched out.

hang the jib from a high place , jib head down so that the clear plastic hose between the valves on the rear cylinder is the highest point on the jib.

open up the valves and stroke the front cylinder a few times to release any air bubbles in it into the coiled lines.

leave it to hang for a day or two, any air bubbles in the oil will slowly make their way up to the top and into the clear hose between the valves, if you don't see them in that line after a day, slowly stroke the rear cylinder while it is still hanging and while the valves are still open, this will force any air bubbles that have collected in the rear cylinder into the small hose between the valves.

when you see a considerable bubble , close up the valves , snugg , not too tight or you could damage the valves.

unscrew one of the stainless steel barbs (with the hose attached) from one of the valves. it should turn inside the hose too so it will unscrew from the valve.

now fill up the hose with oil, a few drops of hydraulic oil will do if you have it. Cooking oils tend to gum up over time.

reattach the hose again by screwing the barb back into the valve.

open up the valves again and see if any more air comes out of the cylinder and into the line. if so repeat the process.

----------------------

As a warning, when I did this the first time, i tightened the barb too tightly into the valve and sheared it off. Thankfully, my good mate runs a ship repair yard and was able to source a replacement part in time for a shoot. If you don't have a mate like that, be VERY careful tightening the valves and barb back in place.

If you have any questions, holler. She's an awesome jib when she's working correctly.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 07:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Advanta Jib Help

HI Andrews,

Thanks for the Tips.

Rajiv
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms