Crane for DSLR use with motorized head... any experiences? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 20th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Crane for DSLR use with motorized head... any experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
I'd be curious to see what else is recommended for you.
yeah, me too, even though telescope head, or bescor most likely will work for me, i'm curious if there any other solutions that can be adopted for the crane/light camera setup;
Old March 21st, 2012, 12:57 AM   #17
Major Player

I used a Camera Turret head a while back, which wasn't too bad. I felt a little compromised by the fact that there was only one speed control - I'm really used to being able to adjust the tilt and pan speeds independently (I was trained on, and somewhat regularly use a really beautiful Jimmy Jib... but I think that's a little outside your price range!). It's a little touch, but it makes a difference when trying to do really precise diagonal moves. It did the job, however, and the DP and director were both pleased with the results. Perhaps one of their lighter units might fit the bill for what you need to do?
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:31 AM   #18
Trustee

this one is pretty low budget
PT785-S Pan & Tilt System
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:05 AM   #19
Major Player

Well, after a quick phone call to servo city, they informed me that the PT785-S is closed loop and will only hold an angle, and return to center after you let the joystick go.... unfortunately, I need an open loop system since I'll be getting creative with the angles.

Looks like its spend the bucks to get it done right...
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #20
Major Player

Well, just to update this thread - I actually grabbed a PT20 from Brian Murphy up here in Montreal and the Kessler KC12/8 studio shipped today! I will let you guys know how the setup fares with DSLR useage, but Im sure it will be great.

Im actually really excited to get this together and get to practicing. I was able to afford the PT20 and the kessler because I ended up splitting cost with my employer (I bought the head out of pocket as an investment).

There have also been talks about rigging the crane onto the roof of a sprinter van while moving for rolling rig shots... I bought the 100mm stationary high hat that is going to bolt onto a series of rails that will support the crane and my seat. This should be really interesting as we have in house fabricators to make this happen. Ill keep you guys in the loop...

P.S. Just to clarify, I shoot automotive promotional/marketing material, mainly VW/Audi/Porsche.
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #21
Trustee

Share some photos please!!
Old April 29th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I have the Kessler 12/8 crane and head. I use a set of bogen sticks I found on ebay and I rent it out for $150/Day gear(you have to have been on a set with it at least three times and sat through my 2 hour long jib set-up and safety course) $250/Day Gear with set-up and break-down, $400/Day Gear, Set-up/break-down, and operator for a 10 hour day.

I've pay for the jib four times with this pricing and I've never had any issues with the Kessler products and their customer service is top notch.
David Aronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:22 AM   #23
Major Player

So Ive been awol for a while, but I've been putting some miles on this thing in the meantime! Ignore the watermark, its a FB picture...

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...55559910_n.jpg

I really like the setup, but using a DSLR without a monitor is interesting... I really havent missed any shots because of it, but thats because all my stuff is stationary and we are moving around it. Unfortunately, I have had multiple things fail on the remote control head, but all is well again. Exposed wires, a fubared connector that needed resoldering, an axis not working on the control unit, but nothing a soldering iron couldn't fix - Camera turret has great support. As you can see, I use an external battery pack used to jump cars to power the remote control unit, and I will be finding a way to split that power to run an HDMI monitor I will be buying here next paycheck... That will really be the final piece of the puzzle.

My only quip is that I can no longer use the audio on the DSLR as a backup since the servos are too loud... Then again, the shots are beautiful and asking for silent servos is a bit of a stretch. I have been using my Tokina 11-16 stopped down in the f/4.5-5.6 range outdoors (depending on ND/polarizers) and it has been great. A little vignetting at the corners when I stack filters but nothing that doesn't look the part when I add a vignette in post anyway.
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #24
Major Player

Justin,
what tripod did you use? i broke my first tripod (came in with the KC8) or the tripod cannot take the weight, they go down and slide.

or anyone have a good recommendation on tripods that can hold the weights on both sides, (25lbs weight and 25lbs on camera and tilt head?)
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #25
Major Player

I am using the Kessler KPod and it is a dream to work with. The head and legs will easily hold the weight with the full 12 footer, remote head, camera, and 60lbs of counterweight without problems when balanced correctly.

P.S. My originally mentioned budget never happened, I am in the $3300+ range but the investment has been worth every penny. I shot a behind the scenes automotive shoot yesterday and should have it edited by the end of the day and it looks great. Unfortunately, I cannot post it here yet, but I will update with some samples so people can see what 2 days of using a remote control head for the first time looks like. By 2 days I mean I have only had it out in the wild twice.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms