New Homebuilt Crane! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 13th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New Homebuilt Crane!

So today, I built myself this ass-kicking crane. It is almost done; there is some touchup work to be done such as cleaning up welds, adding a monitor holder and power center plus some more. I spent about $113 in metal:
10' of 2"x1" rectangular tubing (stood on tall end for main arm)
10' of .5"x.5" box tubing (9 foot piece as "tilter," 1' piece for tilt lever)
5"x6' flatstock (used for camera holder and arm holder)
2 6" flatstock discs
1.5"x5' tubing
The crane is held up with a speaker stand, and the aluminum tube for adjusting speaker height is replaced with the thickwall 5' tube. A flatstock disc with a permaenant 1/2 inch bolt is welded to the pipe. The "Arm holder" is wellded to an identical flatscock disc, with a 1/2 inch hole in the center. The whole crane is attached to that, which drops directly on to the welded bolt of the 1.5" tubing.

The tilt mechanisim is auto-leveling AND manual. Auto-leveling is accomplished by putting a bolt through the "tilter" while the camera sled is level. Manual tilt is accomplished by removing that bolt.

I also don't have weights yet, and those will be added on Wednesday.

Like I said before, there is a little more work to be done before it gets powdercoated, and I will get more detailed pictures on Wednesday, because it is at my cousins machine shop.

But here's one pic.

http://www.c-41productions.com/crane.jpg

If anybody wants to know exact specs on anything, feel free to ask away!

Yeah that's me in the pic :)
Brandon Whiteside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

IF that steel, thats got to be one heavy boom. How much counter weight is needed ?
Old May 14th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

About 35lbs
Brandon Whiteside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #4
Tourist

it looks like you made your own tripod. i would love details on that. the tripod is what would kill me if i had to buy one. your jib is much like what i want to make. you can get some serious height on that thing. bravo!
Joseph McWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Interested in making me one too, Brandon? ;)

I'm looking into cheap jibs (without tripod)... Alas, I'm no welder...
Matt DeJonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 08:22 AM   #6
New Boot

awesome, any chance of some more pictures? Its exactly how i hope to make mine, Is it aluminium or steel? I think I'm gonna go with aluminium.

Cheers
Michael Elsegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #7
Major Player

Could I get some more specs about that crane? As in, max height, mounting mechanism, max weight it can support, etc. Are you willing to sell a fully built version? I am looking for something that can do 20-30 ft and will easily pay 1000-2000 USD for a crane that can hit 25-30ft.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms