u2's "even better than the real thing" -- camera fly-throughs... how? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 1st, 2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Major Player

u2's "even better than the real thing" -- camera fly-throughs... how?

in u2's "even better than the real thing" music video, there's some kind of support system used that allowed the camera to fly in what appeared to be full circles, from behind, to overhead, to frontal, to between the legs, the frame always centered on the subject. does anyone have any info on the support system used, or suggestions on how to pull something like that off?
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 11:15 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Maybe this?

http://www.rctoys.com/draganflyer5tipro.php

http://www.draganfly.com
Achtung! Das camera ist nicht fur der fingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und popencorken mit spitzen sparken. Das camera ist diggen by experten only. Ist nicht fur gerwerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen das cottenpiken hands in das pockets. Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.
Chris Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks for the reply chris.

that's a sweet little gadget! unfortunately, i don't think it's the support system used in the video i'm referring to. in the video, the camera gets pretty close to the talent, and i doubt anyone would have signed off on having a buzzing propeller four feet away from bono's head.

i think i'll have to post an excerpt from the video somewhere. i wouldn't have remembered it had i not caught it on the air a few days ago...
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #4
Wrangler

I know the shots you're talking about, Henry, and have seen pictures of the rig.

Suffice to say it was a custom deal made only to get that shot, and because the shot is kind of a gimmick/one trick pony, the rig itself may or may not exist anymore. It was constructed in much the way you'd guess...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms