ProMax SteadyTracker Ultralite? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 10th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Trustee

ProMax SteadyTracker Ultralite?

Did anyone ever use the ProMax SteadyTracker Ultralite?

http://www2.promax.com/SteadyTracker...2&category=348

It looks light enough so that one can shoot for sometime without having dislocated shoulder. I was thinking about buying one of these to use it with my XH-A1. You guys think it can handle it? It says there that it can take up to 5 pounds and the XH-A1 it's like 4,5...you put a big battery and a wide angle and you probably reach the 5 pounds.
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #2
Wrangler

As long as you don't expect Steadicam results out of it...this type of device won't deliver the subtlety of a gimballed stabilizer, but is good for running shots and the like.
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:55 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks It's too bad. The price was sweet. But I guess it's kind of impossible to find something mildly good for this price...or isn't it? Any advice on less expensive stabilizer that actually works? The thing is that I sold some stuff and managed to come up with some cash. Initially I was going to invest it a an affordable dolly (http://www.glideshot.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=493). It's 99$ plus shipping, which is a very sweet deal...but then I thought I'd through a bit more cash on stabilizer and I ended up finding this promax thing, that apparently is crap. I know it's REALLY asking too much, but if I have to spend A LOT more than 200$ I might just stick with the dolly.
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:38 AM   #4
Wrangler

There are those who love the results from this setup. It all depends on what your expectations are. You can achieve pretty similar results by taking a lightweight tripod, extending the center column and spreading (but not extending) the legs, and holding it just above the center of gravity on the center post. If you already have the tripod, this wont' cost you a dime!
Old December 11th, 2006, 02:40 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try just to see what happens.
Old April 28th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #6
Major Player

If you're super buff...if you have a decent tripod head it's going to be heavy. You can use it for a steadicam for a very short period, such as at a wedding when the bride & groom exit. My cam is on a tripod, so I don't have time to change it, but the b&g are on the move, and I can get a good motion shot.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms