Post a photo of your crane! - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 25th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #61
Major Player

Alright I found someone (Cody) who has actually built one of these electronic pan/tilt heads from a couple R/C servo motors. Its awesome! but its real loud like an R/C car. Would that be a major issue?

http://www.homebuiltstabilizers.com/...s/codysjib.wmv
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #62
Regular Crew

I want one for christmas santa
Kenneth Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #63
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lee View Post
Its awesome! but its real loud like an R/C car. Would that be a major issue?
]
It depends if you have a mic on the camera.

Also, if you were to be using it in a church, at a wedding, at a commercial shoot, or ANY event, you need to think about the following.

(1)Do you want a distraction for your clients?
(2)Do you want clients to think there is something terribly wrong with your equipment?
(3)Do you want an audience to have a nuisance, such as a loud noise coming from a big crane which scares them half to death because they think the whole thing will come crashing down on their head?

If you are going to be shooting video of nature, by yourself, maybe a "loud like an R/C car" motor on your crane WOULD be a great idea.

It depends on whatchya use it for.
Joseph Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #64
Regular Crew

I'm interested in building a motor-driven pan/tilt system, but I just wish there was a quieter solution than servo motors. Anyone have ideas?
Sunny Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #65
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Copeland View Post
I purchased a Kessler Crane and still use that some times but I wanted a longer crane so I built my from my own design, that I thought out, after looking at other cranes. No actual Blue prints or plans.

DaNc
Here is a link to a video that was shot with the telescopic crane at it second length. All of the shots were done on the crane as it proved to be a lot more flexible than using a tripod, and it was shot in a tight space . If you look at the photos on the slide show you will see I was outside the room operating the jib.

http://www.cdvideo.ca/wordpress/?page_id=116
Attached Thumbnails
Post a photo of your crane!-prema2.jpg   Post a photo of your crane!-prema3.jpg  

Post a photo of your crane!-carabana1.jpg   Post a photo of your crane!-dscf0014-b.jpg  

Last edited by Dan Copeland; December 30th, 2007 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Add photos
Dan Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:30 AM   #66
Major Player

Dan - so you built this crane?

looks very complex..
Old December 31st, 2007, 06:01 PM   #67
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lee View Post
Dan - so you built this crane?

looks very complex..
Yes I did and it is not really that compex the hardest part was making the yoke for the tubing, so that it can slide into each other past the folcum, and using collars for the stabilizer cables. It all fits together in a 6 foot length. I am building a different head to get away from joystick controller to more of a tripod feel.

DaNc
Dan Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:52 PM   #68
Major Player

Well the crane looks great Dan, wonderful job. By complex I ment in comparison to something I would build haha. I built something similar to the Kessler 12" but its not finished yet. My fabricator has found interest in other projects and has stopped its construction. Its funny because all it needs is the support cables and the tripod.

Cheers!
Terry.
Old June 12th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #69
Regular Crew

These pictures aren't really the greatest, but they get the point across. I built this with the help of a friend who works in a machine shop. Please don't hesitate to ask questions (or ask for clearer pictures/different angles). This site has been incredibly helpful to me and I'd love to be able to help someone looking to build his or her own crane.

Some notes: the base height is about 8 feet. I use a telescoping PA speaker tripod, so I can extend the crane to a height of about 12-13 feet. Can you spot the old bike part I used?

http://oak.fig.haverford.edu/~ssingh/crane/AUT_0034.JPG
http://oak.fig.haverford.edu/~ssingh/crane/AUT_0036.JPG
http://oak.fig.haverford.edu/~ssingh/crane/AUT_0037.JPG
Sunny Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #70
Regular Crew

Sorry i don't have pictures but, I have a Tecnocrane© and a Tecnodolly© on my greenscreen
David Aronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:00 AM   #71
Regular Crew

21 foot Jib on a golf cart

We were able to get mobile with the jib by strapping to the golf cart!
Attached Thumbnails
Post a photo of your crane!-golfcartgrandedunessmall1.jpg  
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:24 AM   #72
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph McCloud View Post
We were able to get mobile with the jib by strapping to the golf cart!
I love that the golf cart has 'rims'.
Ken Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:26 PM   #73
Regular Crew

Pics of my Pro Am 12' jib I've modified for a PT 20 remote head with cable supports for extra weight, remote head mount than can be over or under slung, it can all be mounted on my tripod w/ skates for rolling around for quick placement (after it's built and balanced), Varizoom Pro for zoom/focus.
Attached Thumbnails
Post a photo of your crane!-jib.jpg   Post a photo of your crane!-pt20-leveling-head.jpg  

Post a photo of your crane!-jib1.jpg  
Pat Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #74
Regular Crew

golf cart with rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Steadman View Post
I love that the golf cart has 'rims'.
We're working on a "low rider" version of the golf cart :)
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:09 PM   #75
Regular Crew

My Crane

On those pictures is my DIY crane in 2.5m length from middle point. I have one extra 1 meter length aluminum square tube 7x7cm and this is max length. It can be break down in two large keyboard bags. On pictures is Canon A1+Brevis+rails+Sigma 24-70. Counterweight is 18kg plus LCD and large 12V7.2AH accu. It can be put on tripod in about 10-15 minutes. We are using it for documentaries and music videos. We have to change tripod for better one, something like new kessler one. Tripod that we use is old wooden cinema camera tripod.
Attached Thumbnails
Post a photo of your crane!-dsc_0119.jpg   Post a photo of your crane!-dsc_0121.jpg  

Post a photo of your crane!-dsc_0126.jpg   Post a photo of your crane!-dsc_0140.jpg  

Post a photo of your crane!-dsc_0141.jpg   Post a photo of your crane!-dsc_0143.jpg  

Igor Babic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms