Post a photo of your crane! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 28th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Post a photo of your crane!

This has probably been done, but i've searched and can't really find a thread dedicated to cranes.

I've recently built my own crane. Soon I will have pictures. But for now i'd like to see what everyone else is working with. It'll be fun.

I'm particularly interested in cranes on dolly tracks. I'm hoping to build a dolly that my jib will attach to. Anyone done this? or atleast know a good pic of one?
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

As soon as I get mine back, I'll set it up and snap a few pics for you.
James Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Sounds good!
Old June 3rd, 2007, 08:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

As soon as I"m allowed to post attachments, I will too!
Ralph McCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Ok, here's my set up. It's the Pro Am 250 with the optional extra 4' section. I didn't install the piece when I took the shots. But it booms out 12'! The only mods I've made so far is a tension wire that runs front to back. With my XL1 mounted on it, the 250 tended to sag when lifting. So I just made a new extension for the fulcrum and added eye bolts to the ends. I also made a little are to hold my monitor.

As you can tell I built the dolly myself with 3/4 or 1" ply. I had my friend weld up the wheel chassis, and push bar/yoke. The hardest part was drilling the holes for the axles.

The bearings are abec 5 and they're not to noisy. Running on 1 1/2" pvc we encountered a whirring sound. So I made the track ends out of aluminum diamond plate and 1 1/2" ABS test plugs. I found when you plug the ends of the pipe, it really makes the noise level drop. Plus it helps keep the pipe lined up and gives me a solid stop point.

James
Attached Thumbnails
Post a photo of your crane!-dolly-side.jpg   Post a photo of your crane!-back-dolly.jpg  

Post a photo of your crane!-front-dolly.jpg   Post a photo of your crane!-dolly-stops.jpg  

Old June 8th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #6
Major Player

Here's m DIY jib.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Post a photo of your crane!-jib1.jpg   Post a photo of your crane!-jib2.jpg  

Last edited by Bill Hamell; June 8th, 2007 at 09:51 AM.
Bill Hamell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey Bill, What are those things that look like screw drivers handles. Is it some sort of parking brake?
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Stone View Post
Hey Bill, What are those things that look like screw drivers handles. Is it some sort of parking brake?
James,

No, I hold the jib to the dolly with clamps, those are the clamp handels.

Bill
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #9
Major Player

Nice crane guys!

Mine is still not finished. I've got to build the dolly and the tripod that it will sit on. It looks almost exactly like the Kessler crane.

Pics up soon I hope.
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #10
Major Player

I have a question for you. I am absolutely new to film and am teaching myself everything so excuse bassic questions.

Once I build the crane, I will need a monitor and a cable that connects from the camera to the monitor. What do you guys suggest??

I am simply asuming that I will only need a monitor and a cable. If I am missing something please let me know.
Old June 30th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #11
Major Player

When I have an outlet available I use a 13" Sony monitor if not I use a 7" Varizoom monitor with battary power.

Bill
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #12
Regular Crew

my jib pic

Here is my 21 foot JonyJib. We did a series of "fly arounds" with this Chevy dealer. Looks great!
Attached Thumbnails
Post a photo of your crane!-mbchevy_jib.jpg  
Old June 30th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hamell View Post
When I have an outlet available I use a 13" Sony monitor if not I use a 7" Varizoom monitor with battary power.

Bill

Bill - i'm probably going to need something with battery power. I will be working on an archaeological site in an area where an outlet will be to far away. Any recomendations on a battery powered monitor would be great. I am totaly unaware of my options at the moment as I am just getting into the whole filming thing... One wouldn't suspect so given that i've already built my own crane without first owning a camera.. My camera choice has been the XH A1 (like so many others..) simply because of the nature of my filming needs. I plan to film a documentary that includes both actor recreations and documentary style filming of archaeologists working in their respective field. I built the crane so that I could get an arial view of both temporal time frames (prehisoric life and contemporary historians).

If you or someone could give me an idea of what I will need in terms of battery powered monitor, what cables I will need to run from the camera to the monitor, sun shade...etc. I would be very appreciative.

thank you for your time.
Great posts everyone...especially the white crane :)

-Terry.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:25 AM   #14
Trustee

Hi Terry, I'm also intending to build something like yr crane.. could u comment on how the bearings were done for the pivot bracket?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #15
Major Player

muh crane

Here are some very unflattering pictures of my crane. It rides on a modified matthews doorway dolly. Max height is only about 12 feet, but since it can fly 2 people on it, there are a lot of fun things you can do. In the second photo ignore the tall grass that i was lax in mowing... and thats an upsidedown wheelbarrow next to the crane, not part of it. Orange strap on crane is just what i use to lift it in and out of the truck. (swing crane in the truck cranes the crane, so i can load/unload/build it by myself.

crazy, eh?
Attached Thumbnails
Post a photo of your crane!-crane.jpg   Post a photo of your crane!-crane2.jpg  

Andrew Dean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms