GY-HMQ10U...Another new cam from JVC - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old January 28th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #16
HDV Cinema

Re: GY-HMQ10U...Another new cam from JVC

I should know more about the JVC utility in a few weeks. It is planned for both PC and Mac.

As you might guess -- your PC or Mac must have a codec that can handle up to 2160p60. ProRes works fine on the Mac. On the PC one can play, but not encode ProRes.

Perhaps JVC can OEM a ProRes encoder from Apple.

Will the utility have a 4K2K player? A way of cropping down to FullHD?

As I think about it -- there are lots of open questions about the JVC utility!
Old January 28th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #17
Space Hipster

it would be nice to edit the 4K video without waiting for some new editing system. I have to believe JVC thought this through...right?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #18
HDV Cinema

Under OS X, it's EZ. Convert to 2160p ProRes and edit with iMovie, FCP X, FCP 6/7, or Media Composer using AMA.

On the PC -- good luck. Other than uncompressed, I don't know of a general codec. EDIUS likely can use its own codec. But after seeing iMac 27" in India and Manila -- I'm thinking I'll not worry about anything Windows. If Asia is going Mac, then it seems the price is no longer as high as it was.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:18 PM   #19
Trustee

I believe the JVC makes its 4K image from four HD images, and also outputs to 4 SD cards. The 4K image is then later recreated in the NLE with the captured 4 HD images. The same goes for the HDMI clean feed, I guess.

A new codec might not be required since it can be edited native - if one has enough horsepower to handle four HD AVCHD streams at the same time. Suicide!
Old February 4th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #20
Major Player

I have a feeling that editing in 4K will be somewhat of a kluge at first. At this point it appears that you have to run the JVC "combiner" application for the four "quad" HD segments and convert into a usable 2160p file , ProRes or (hopefully) DNXHD. format.Then you import or link into Avid, FCP 7, or FCPX. One big question is how fast is the combining process going to take. I must say I haven't been impressed with JVC's past software utilities.

I think early on, most people will be shooting 1080/60p AVCHD with this camera.

Look forward to seeing what this camera can do, David
Old February 10th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #21
HDV Cinema

"... usable 2160p file , ProRes or (hopefully) DNXHD."

Because MC will not now allow a 4K2K timeline -- I simply use AMA's ability to work with ProRes.

Of course, that won't work in the Windows world.

I believe EDIUS will support 4K2K with their HQ codec. But, does EDIUS 6 support 4K2K?
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #22
Trustee

This is from JVC's web site (US) on the "combiner" software:

"A Mac-compatible software utility is provided to simplify the process of ingesting and converting the files recorded with the GY-HMQ10. A single USB cable is all that's necessary to connect the camera to the Macintosh computer. The utility will recognize the 4 memory cards in the camera and generate a single thumbnail for each scene. Right-clicking on the thumbnail begins the conversion to a single 4K Prores file suitable for editing on Final Cut Pro X. If camera thumbnails are dragged to the HDD, all of the associated files are automatically copied to the destination. Installation of Final Cut Pro X is necessary for this utility to operate."

They say it will take 3X to 10X real time to convert (not to combine).

Windows users?
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #23
Major Player

"Installation of Final Cut Pro X is necessary for this utility to operate."
Oh no!
And whatabout FCP7 ?
Old February 11th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #24
HDV Cinema

You need the ProRes codec from FCP 6/7 or FCP X.

Given the AVCHD source, I would use ProRes LT. However, I believe LT is not supplied with FCP X.

Interestingly, FCP 6/7 IS supported, but performance is lower.

I've used iMovie with 2160p ProRes LT files. VERY sluggish!

Windows users ARE out of luck.

PS: EDIUS 6 does support 4K2K timelines.

Last edited by Steve Mullen; February 12th, 2012 at 01:50 AM.
Steve Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #25
HDV Cinema

I said "I've used iMovie with 2160p ProRes LT files. VERY sluggish!"

OMG! FCP X plays full screen at about half-speed and fairly smoothly.

The file is JVC 1080p60 scaled-up to 3840x2160p60 as we might get from JVC's utility. Codec is ProRes LT.

Since it's my first day with FCP X I don't know of behind my back FCP has converted to ProRes Proxy (whatever this is ???) but it looks great in terms of detail.

And it skims well too.

PS: Actually since the Generate Proxy button is showing, I think this is the original.
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #26
HDV Cinema

SAMPLES AVAILABLE FROM JVC U.K.

You can get a short sample -- 4 files -- from JVC:

JVC Professional Europe - GY-HMQ10E 4K2K HD Camcorder - JVC Professional catalogue : product details

I've imported into FCP into 4 tracks and used the motion filter to move into place in a 3240x2160 ProRes 422 sequence.

See the attached.

I put a circle wipe in so I could be sure the aspect-ratio remains true. Looks fine in FCP, but in QT 7 it's a bit "tall."

Playing on my late 2010 iMac, I can get jerky play at about 15fps.

But, it's MUCH better in FCP X.

Note how a QFHD video looks on a monitor. Even HALF doesn't show fully!

PS: In this experiment I bumped saturation by 15% cause I like the look for my home town.

More later.
Attached Thumbnails
GY-HMQ10U...Another new cam from JVC-screen-shot-2012-02-28-5.30.24-pm.jpg   GY-HMQ10U...Another new cam from JVC-screen-shot-2012-02-28-5.30.48-pm.jpg  

GY-HMQ10U...Another new cam from JVC-screen-shot-2012-02-28-5.31.14-pm.jpg   GY-HMQ10U...Another new cam from JVC-screen-shot-2012-02-28-5.31.36-pm.jpg  

GY-HMQ10U...Another new cam from JVC-screen-shot-2012-02-29-9.40.10-am.jpg   GY-HMQ10U...Another new cam from JVC-screen-shot-2012-02-29-9.40.25-am.jpg  

GY-HMQ10U...Another new cam from JVC-screen-shot-2012-02-29-9.40.32-am.jpg   GY-HMQ10U...Another new cam from JVC-screen-shot-2012-02-28-5.33.20-pm.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Mullen; February 29th, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:04 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
Windows users ARE out of luck.
Not necessarily.
I downloaded the clips, loaded them onto a Vegas Pro 10 timeline (properties set to 3840 x 2160), used a separate track for each clip and used Track Motion to position them properly.
Getting it to play smoothly (Dell Precision quad core with XP Pro SP3) was another matter :(
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #28
Regular Crew

I downloaded the testfiles.
1. They play fine individually, however none of them has audio, even when MediaInfo shows Audio present. All have a constant audio level at -45dB.
Do the files play audio in your cases?
2. I AMA-imported them into Media Composer, works fine. Only problem with MC is, that I cannot set-up a 4K-project, maximum is 1920x1080.
Joachim
Joachim Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #29
HDV Cinema

By out of luck I meant the utility that stitches the four h.264 file to one file is only for the Mac. JVC also assumes the file will be ProRe 422 -- which is OS X only.

Of course if one had a lot of time one could use four tracks -- to which one would need to add for filters and four transitions during editing.

PS: no audio on mine. And, yes ProRes 422 works fine in MC using AMA.

Last edited by Steve Mullen; March 5th, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 05:56 AM   #30
HDV Cinema

New 4K2K Sony -- the NEX-FS700. Supposedly $9000.

Sony : NEX-FS700E (NEXFS700E) : Product Overview : Other

The camera will be available in June no Price yet

In the basic version, only 2K via SDI port.

3G SDI Out of the Sony FS700, a 10-bit (likely S-log) 4:2:2 signal is present, which is output progressively. Internally, the Sony should NEX-FS700 according AVCHD only 8 bits 4:2:0 record.

Preliminary Information
This is preliminary information. All features and specifications are subject to change without notice.

MemoryStick or SDXC Cards or on external HXR-FMU128 recorder

4K-ready
The first 4K-ready Super35mm camcorder in its class – providing an assured upgrade path to 4K acquisition and delivery -- with full HD 1080p for today.The camcorder will also have the capability to produce 4K RAW 3G-SDI output via a future upgrade.

Super slow motion at 10x at full HD or 40x at lower resolutions
Incredible super slow motion capability of up to 10x slow motion at full HD resolution.

E-mount interchangeable lenses offer a wide choice of lenses

Additional A-mount lenses available
The Sony LA-EA2 A-mount lens adaptor allows you to use the wide range of high quality alpha lenses and take advantage of the auto focus function for quicker, more convenient operation.

Built-in HD filters HALLELUJA!!
Internal ND filters (clear, 1/4, 1/16 and 1/64)

3G-SDI interface and HDMI
A 3G-SDI output enables easy integration with highest quality recording formats.

Switchable 50 Hz and 60 Hz shooting
The NEX-FS700E is switchable between 50 Hz and 60Hz to allow 24p shooting in PAL areas and no PAL/NTSC limitations.

The new improved Grip has a Zoom ring! e-Mount Servo Zoomes to come!!
Selectable magnification and positioning of expanded focus

Expanded focus improvement allowing 4x and 8x magnification and a moveable area of expansion for easy focusing with shallow depth of field.

Given JVC's 4K2K camcorder, I would not be surprised if Sony introduces a VG30 that shoots 4K. But still crippled to keep the pressure off of more expensive Sonys AND to keep avoid hurting JVC too much. (So what will Pana announce?)

I noticed the new JVC now says AVCHD on the camera -- yet that was not in the announcement. Could this be 36Mbps AVCHD?

Will this force JVC to keep the price under $5000?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders