JVC 4K Camcorder Announced - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old January 12th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: JVC 4K Camcorder Announced

It's an interesting camera, I'm really curious about what kind of picture it delivers.

I don't want to nitpick, but recording to 4 separate SD cards gives you 4 times as much chance that something will go wrong with your material, and I doubt that archiving and post workflows will be very happy about it as well. And it's 4 streams worth of AVCHD - one will have to have a pretty powerful workstation to edit this kind of footage with decent performance.

I also hope that the JVC app for stitching the files together does not introduce more compression than there already is.
Old January 12th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Walczak View Post
I don't want to nitpick, but recording to 4 separate SD cards gives you 4 times as much chance that something will go wrong with your material, and I doubt that archiving and post workflows will be very happy about it as well. And it's 4 streams worth of AVCHD - one will have to have a pretty powerful workstation to edit this kind of footage with decent performance.

I also hope that the JVC app for stitching the files together does not introduce more compression than there already is.
My thoughts exactly. Still not a fan of using AVCHD to compress stuff. Near-lossless codecs are where 4K really shines. And parallel recording to 4 cards would be a nightmare for logging and binning.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Craig Yanagi from JVC is a very pleasant guy, tho here he seems to be only 5 mins ahead of us :)

ProPhoto Coalition.com: VIDEO: Dan Carr | Founder | Photo Gear & Adventure

Interesting to see a view of the right hand side of the cam and that you can remove the complete external 48V mic fittings and handle.

Cheers.
Old January 13th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #34
JVC America

I'll take that as a compliment, Allan.
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Sir :) Those are some really nice new cameras you've got there and enormous interest is being generated around the web. We're all looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Do you have any news on release dates down under and was your production affected by the Tsunami last year? Thanks.

Cheers.
Old January 14th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #36
Major Player

Thanks for sharing that information Craig!
Also thank you for linking to that video Allan.

Exciting things ahead.
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #37
Space Hipster

The HMQ10 shares the same size sensor as the consumer JVC PX10 and the Everio GX1, HM550, HM1S, HM960 and HM860.
I wonder if all the new JVC cams use the FALCONBRID processor?

edit - i think only the new EX/V/VX/GX and PX cameras have the new processor. Most can do 300fps shooting.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
c'mon Sony, give us something !

I have a feeling if Sony announces anything like this, it'll probably be at NAB 2012. I could be wrong. Just my guess.
Ozzy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #39
Major Player

Since it will be possible to shoot in Full HD (1920x1080) by cropping 2x on the sensor, do you think that means it could be used as an HD camcorder with a 85mm-850mm zoom ? (42,5mm-425mm x 2)
If I'm right, that may be interesting for Wildlife…
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan Fournier View Post
Since it will be possible to shoot in Full HD (1920x1080) by cropping 2x on the sensor, do you think that means it could be used as an HD camcorder with a 85mm-850mm zoom ? (42,5mm-425mm x 2)
If I'm right, that may be interesting for Wildlife…
When cropping 2x it's going to become critical that the lens be rather flawless. I guess we'll see how useful this feature is once the camera comes out or more footage is available.
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #41
New Boot

Nice video on youtube about the JVC 4K Camcorder:

JVC GY-HMQ10 4K Camcorder | 4KCam at CES 2012 - YouTube
Records to 4 SD cards.
Alan Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #42
Space Hipster

I'm looking at all the stats and watching all the videos - does this camera have ND filters?
Old January 27th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #43
Space Hipster

Here are some detailed pics of the HMQ10 and the prototype Nikon mount version:

JVC GY-HMQ10 Hands-On Review
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #44
Major Player

What's interesting about the camcorder was the decision to go with 4 HDMI 1.3a adapters to output the 4K signal, HDMI 1.4a supports 4K output with a single cable. From my research, there are only a handful of 4K monitors that have 4 HDMI inputs available, but far more 4K monitors/projectors that can do 4K over HDMI 1.4a, so the output they chose limits your display device options.

People are curiously wondering why they would shoot in 4K res now when I always was under the impression to shoot as high a resolution as you can now and you can alwasy downsample and output to a lower resolution later. Start high, work down, plus you are a step ahead of the curve when 4K is more mainstream.
Troy Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 02:38 AM   #45
Inner Circle

There are a number of factors that add up to great images, shooting and recording at 4k resolution is just one, you'd also be interested in dynamic range, how good the skin tones are, how well it handles rolling shutter and other artefacts.

Quite apart those considerations, you'll have to consider how practical the camera is in the rough and tumble of making a film.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders