DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/)
-   -   JVC 4K Camcorder Announced (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/504255-jvc-4k-camcorder-announced.html)

David Parks January 10th, 2012 10:36 AM

JVC 4K Camcorder Announced

JVC Professional Features page

Under $5,000.00!! Ships in March/April

David Parks January 10th, 2012 10:53 AM

Re: JVC 4K Camcorder Announced

Presser:

JVC News Release -- JVC UNVEILS WORLD’S FIRST HANDHELD 4K CAMCORDER

John Benton January 10th, 2012 11:00 AM

Wow.
Will be interesting to see the footage.
Thanks

Justin Molush January 10th, 2012 11:49 AM

4k @ 60p? Thats really good for that price...

Glen Vandermolen January 10th, 2012 01:10 PM

Leave it to JVC. They're always the innovators.
Man, I can't wait to see footage from one of these. The problem is...what do I see it on? Are we at the dawn of 4K productions?

David Parks January 10th, 2012 02:23 PM

I doubt very many intitially will have 4K as their delivery format. The fact you can shoot in HD from 3840x2160 to 1080/60p should result in very nice looking HD images. You can also shoot in crop mode which they call trimming. I'm curious to see how well the new CMOS looks. THe HM 100/150 used CCD. Look forward to seeing some demos.

Justin Molush January 10th, 2012 02:28 PM

Im curious about the "cropping" or "trimming" on this camera... Will it operate like the RED sensors and crop it down for telephoto reach, DSLR-esque line skipping, or full 4K internal downscaling?

Sanjin Svajger January 10th, 2012 03:59 PM

4k in a consumer/prosumer camcorder?? really? Why do this? You can't shoot for cinema with this. Not with a 1/2 chip, a weak codec, no slog, etc. Why then whould you need 4k? To downconwert to HD? For that price I would rather buy an AF100 or a GH2, or something that would be able to producer a more cinematic picture.

I guess this does have its applications, maybe for docus ment for the big screen? I just don't see it as an HD camera. 8MP on a 1/2 chip - I wonder how much DR this camcorder is going to have. I guess it's primary users will be those who need lots of rez for a small amount of money.

Ps.: sorry for the rent, I'm just a bit disappointed that THIS is what JVC came out with. But nontheless it IS progress I guess...:)

Glen Vandermolen January 10th, 2012 04:36 PM

Sure, you can shoot cinema with it! Feature films have been shot with mini-DV cameras (28 Days Later). When JVC demoed the prototype last year, reviewers were amazed at the images it produced - "looking through a window" details. Although one reviewer said the dynamic range wasn't all that good. It is a 1/2" CMOS, after all. Who knows? We'll soon find out.

I've been waiting for this announcement ever since I heard about the 4K prototype. What will I need it for? Heck, I don't know, but I want one!

Allan Black January 10th, 2012 04:45 PM

I know what you mean Glen, but look at the money we saved by not buying all the others :)

Cheers.

Glen Vandermolen January 10th, 2012 06:40 PM

It's already up on B&H's website. Well, partially.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/839193-REG/JVC_GY_HMQ10U_GY_HMQ10_HANDHELD_4K_CAMCORDER.html

Chuck Fadely January 10th, 2012 06:54 PM

This thing is a photojournalist's dream - video good enough for decent frame grabs.

Is this camera on display anywhere? I haven't seen any stories on it other than ones based on the press release. What's the editing situation for 4k on SD cards? Gotta be a nightmare.

Glen Vandermolen January 10th, 2012 07:00 PM

It won't be released until March.
I wonder if JVC will introduce a similar camera in the HM700 body? That'd be sweet, but the lens has to be really good.

Justin Molush January 10th, 2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanjin Svajger (Post 1708649)
4k in a consumer/prosumer camcorder?? really? Why do this? You can't shoot for cinema with this. Not with a 1/2 chip, a weak codec, no slog, etc. Why then whould you need 4k?

Compositing would be what I am looking at it for. The extra res when working in After Effects is huge! I know its not a good 4:2:2 codec, but Ive been compositing with DSLR footage for years now and it works for my application.

Steve Struthers January 10th, 2012 08:56 PM

Looks like a HMC-100/150 with a squarish-looking tumour poking out of its side, LOL. Even so, it should be interesting to see what kind of image quality it can produce with its 4K sensor. I would suspect (hope, maybe?) that its downconverted HD images will be absolutely stunning.