JVC demos four new 4K large sensor cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old April 7th, 2014, 08:42 AM   #1
Wrangler

JVC demos four new 4K large sensor cameras

JVC Kenwood is unveiling four new 4K camera models at NAB2014 featuring 4K CMOS Super35 sensors from its sister company AltaSens. The cameras on display in the booth are prototypes and JVC Has not set release dates or pricing.
Full articles and photos are here:http://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquis...al-cinema.html

GY-LSX1: The GY-LSX1 is a 4K shoulder-mount camera equipped with a Super 35mm sensor and PL lens mount. The GY-LSX1 delivers full 4K imagery (4096×2160 or 3840×216) at up to 60p, as well as HD imagery at up to 240p for super slo-motion. It records to SDHX, SDXC UHSI memory cards in MPEG-4 AVC/h.264 4:2:2 codec with 4 audio channels. A live 4K signal can be output via quad HD-SDI or HDMI 2.0. Advanced IP communications capability includes remote control and streaming.
According to an info slide the 1920×1080 is derived from a 2/3″ equivalent windowed portion of the sensor.
The camera also includes genlock and TC in/out. There is no info yet on sensitivity, dynamic range, or available cine and/or log curves.

GY-LSX2: The GY-LSX2 is a handheld unit that uses a Micro Four Thirds (aka MFT or M4/3) mount with a Super-35 sensor. The short flange of mount will allow for the camera to be easily adapted to virtually any other lens mount type, including PL, EF and F.
4K at 24p and 30p can be recorded onto SDHC/SDXC media. I assume the codec is H.264 but there is no specific info yet. However, the camera is capable of recording simultaneously to HD and SD or HD and proxy, as well as simultaneous recording and streaming.

GW-SPLS1: The GW-SPLS1 features the same 13.6MP sensor as the LSX models, but is a two-piece mini 4K camera, delivering full 4K performance, recording to SDHC media, and IP control and viewing.
I was happy to see genlock and timecode capability which will be ideal for lightweight stereoscopic 3D rigging. A 5 meter tether cable is included and a 20 meter cable will be an available option. Once again, a super-35 sensor is used with a M4/3 mount. 4K can be recorded to SDHC/SDXC media and live output is either quad HD-SDI or HDMI 2.0. The recording unit has a folding 7″ monitor.

GW-GBLS1: The final prototype is basically the head from the GW-SPLS1 bundled with a complete gimbal system. JVC has two unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) in its booth equipped with the new GW-GBLS1 small-head camera gimbal systems. The system features a high-quality 4K small camera unit with a Super 35mm CMOS sensor that delivers 4096×2160 or 3840×2160 resolution at up to 60p.

Housed in a gimbal designed with proprietary technology developed by JVC, the camera records footage locally to SDXC or SDHC media cards. However, the base of gimbal also houses technology that has the same IP capabilities as the GY-HM890. So, while the camera produces images suitable for cinematic applications, the system also has applications for broadcast news. In the case of a breaking news event, for example, a news station could launch a UAV over the scene and have live aerial coverage of the event transmitted back to the station in full HD resolution – without a news helicopter. There are plenty of UAV cameras on the market, but none have the IP-based technology to deliver a live news report like the GW-GBLS1.
Old April 7th, 2014, 09:28 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: JVC demos four new 4K large sensor cameras

WHO COMES UP WITH THESE NAMES?!?!?

" Yeh I'm shooting the hwblsxsl"
"Bless you."

Otherwise... These are actually quite exciting. In fact... Im going to make this my first stop today.
The real question I guess if JVC can eat up unclaimed market with them...
Old April 7th, 2014, 10:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Been looking for photos of the cams and nothing yet. Anyone find more info yet?
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 11:26 AM   #4
Space Hipster

Pics and info are right here in dvinfo.net:

NAB2014: JVC demos four new 4K large sensor cameras for digital cinema at DV Info Net
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The GY-LSX2 looks interesting. If it has an active mount and they somehow managed to add ND filters it would be what lot of people have been claiming for, a handheld camera with M43 mount. If it's 4:2:2 60p 4k it's perfect tor events and run and gunners.

t would be a lot of fun to show with a Blackmagic Ursa on a wedding, but this is a different story! The perfect competitor for the NEX-EA50 crowd.

This year's NAB looks like a poker game; everybody holding their cards until the last second and showing mind blowing hands!
Old April 7th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #6
Space Hipster

I just hope JVC has abandoned the four SD cards and four HDMI ports idea from the HMQ10.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #7
Trustee

^ I can't believe they wouldn't now with HDMI 2.0 a reality. They'd be crazy to continue that 4 stream scheme. Good luck finding any UHD TV that can accept 4 HDMI HD quadrants and can put them together to form a coherent 4K image.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The two piece unit GW-SPLS1 looks interesting and does have HDMI 2.0 output.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 12:45 AM   #9
Major Player

Its kind of ironic that sports MFT mount only because is adaptor friendly, since no MFT lens can cover the S35 format
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014, 08:32 AM   #10
Wrangler

True but it's smart!
The lsx2 should sell like crazy...
Old April 30th, 2014, 02:54 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis View Post
Its kind of ironic that sports MFT mount only because is adaptor friendly, since no MFT lens can cover the S35 format
Agreed, would love to see some more info on how that works.
Jay Kavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 08:51 PM   #12
Wrangler

It works like this:
1) get Canon/Nikon lens.
2) get Canon/Nikon to MFT adapter, attach to lens in #1
3) attach 1/2 to camera.
4) profit

It may not be obvious, but you aren't intended to run mft lenses on this camera, for the obvious sensor size issue.
Old May 1st, 2014, 05:39 AM   #13
Trustee

Just a video I shot at NAB.

I haven't been following the news of these cameras lately but I think their might have been some miscommunication going on. While their, I was very confused when they said how it's a Super 35 chip with a M43 mount. I mentioned to them how something is a little off but it seams like some of them didn't know what I was really trying to say. It seams like one of them had an explanation but I was not able to get that person to interview. He was probably busy.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 08:44 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
It works like this:
1) get Canon/Nikon lens.
2) get Canon/Nikon to MFT adapter, attach to lens in #1
3) attach 1/2 to camera.
4) profit

It may not be obvious, but you aren't intended to run mft lenses on this camera, for the obvious sensor size issue.
Thanks for both the explanation and the sarcasm Dylan :). Clever way to sell a camera with a universal mount of sorts.
Jay Kavi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders