Three new JVC 4K cameras - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old January 13th, 2015, 09:09 AM   #16
Space Hipster

Re: Three new JVC 4K cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen Rath View Post
Glen, what are your thoughts on the LS300 compared to the current competition?
Um, are you referring to me? If so, I have no special insights on the cameras. I merely relayed the info to you guys.

But as far as a comparisons to the LS300, there really aren't any. The LS300 is in a class by itself. 4K, S35 sensor, M43 mount, 150mb data rate, SD card media, all in a very compact body. And for around $4,500. Its closest competitors would be the FS700 (with external recorder) and the FS7, and neither can get close to the 300's price.
The 4K internal codec for the LS300 may not be ideal for broadcast purposes (I really have no idea), but it can also be hooked up to an external recorder, if need be. It looks like it can record internal HD in 50mbps, 4:2:2.

Personally, I like the cheaper HM200. I don't mind fixed lens cameras.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 10:11 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Re: Three new JVC 4K cameras - Next Stop: Sundance FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Yanagi View Post
Our next stop with the GY-LS300 and GY-HM200 prototypes will be at the New York Lounge at the Sundance Film Festival. The New York Lounge will be located at 751 Main St., Park City, UT, and JVC will be there from January 23rd to the 26th. This will be an opportunity to get up close to the camcorders, and we will have a number of lenses to show with the GY-LS300, including Olympus and Rokinon. We're currently looking through some mounting accessories as well, and will have some at the event.

The JVC Camcorders will also be used to stream sessions being held in the lounge. I'll post the viewing sites once they become available.

- Craig

PS: Videomaker Magazine awarded the GY-LS300 as the "Best Camcorder of CES 2015": JVC GY-LS300 4K - Best Camcorder at CES 2015 | Videomaker.com
Thanks for the info. I'd love to see some sample footage (particularly from the smaller-chipped cameras), if you've got any URLs you could share....
Kris Kohuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 02:35 PM   #18
JVC America

We are planning on shooting footage once we have the finalized versions of the camcorders. We'll be sure to make an announcement here when they become available.

Cordially,
Old January 15th, 2015, 08:35 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Craig, does the second lens ring control iris or zoom (or is it switchable)?

There's nothing more fiddly than trying to adjust iris on the fly using a tiddly little thumbwheel which I note the new cams have :-(

I've never used a zoom ring in my life, only ever the rocker or a lanc remote for zoom.

Regards
David
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 04:57 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Yanagi View Post
We'll be sure to make an announcement here when they become available.
Looking forward to it Craig. I for one am very interested in these cameras.
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 08:08 AM   #21
Regular Crew

A look at the JVC GY HM200 on VIDEOAKTIV.

The interview with JVC's Semir Nouri is in German, but there are several shots from the HM200 at the end. I am really hoping that the interview was not shot with this camera.
Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:03 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I saw this today, an attempt at a story shot with the GY-LS300...

JVC GY-LS300 Large Sensor camcorder | Delimex

The highs seem to blow pretty quickly, and have a yellow/lemon cast... looks like sharpening was way up on the camera. Doesn't look too noisy, but who knows what ASA it was shot at?

The still grabs look better than the 1080p YouTube. Not going to pass judgment one way or another on this single example and would like to see more... I've seen worse from better, and better from worse... but overall it feels quite rec709 "video" at this point.

Regards,

Jim Arthurs
Jim Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 04:13 PM   #23
Major Player

I'd hold judgement until the production line prototypes start showing up...my guess, the later half of February. All the few cameras that are out there now are proto-prototypes. We're looking forward to seeing the cameras and checking them out, putting them through there paces, and finding out where this camera's DNA is.......more in the Canon, Alexa, Panasonic direction or more in the Sony, RED direction. I'm not saying what is better, it's just that many of you out there know those cameras and as a reference point, can better tell where this camera is going to land.

Jim Martin
EVSonline.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 06:27 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Agreed Jim, and I said as such in my comment on the footage. Actually, JVC has my money if they can cross a surprisingly low bar:

...I'm not looking for a cutting edge digital cinema camera, but a small form factor VIDEO camera (with video camera creature comforts) for interviews and long format production, one that can deliver shallow DOF, and has built in ND's, a quality internal codec for 1080p broadcast and 4K at a modest bit-rate for archiving is a nice bonus. 10 to 12 stops is all I'm allowing myself to hope for, and that's enough for me if the sensor is clean.

If someone told me the stills on that link came from a 14 year old F900, I would have believed it. They are that similar to my eyes. That's either a nice compliment for a $4,500 dollar camera, or a slap in the face, depending on your point of view about how fast tech changes, and your particular needs.

I've had the good fortune to work with single-digit (or no) serial number cameras such as the F3, the C500, and last seasons GH4. To the camera, what you refer to as the "DNA" was already set in stone, only menu issues and overall stability changed going to the production models. Of course the creators of this video probably only had a very limited time with the camera, and whatever controls to tame the image to any sort of "cinema" expectations were probably un-explored.

We'll see, and I look forward to your tests and conclusions. Please keep us informed!

Regards,

Jim Arthurs
Old February 1st, 2015, 02:59 PM   #25
JVC America

Here is the presentation I gave on the GY-LS300 at Sundance: Sundance NY Lounge on USTREAM: The NY Lounge located at 751 Main St. in Park City in the middle of the Sundance Film Festival. . Conference

- Craig
Old February 1st, 2015, 05:24 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Craig, thank you so much for sharing the presentation.

One question...

... I'm assuming that UHD is only recorded when using the full S35mm size of the sensor... and that you will be scaling various smaller areas of the sensor for 16mm lenses or micro four thirds lenses, etc. When shooting with these lenses with smaller image circles, is the maximum resolution always taken to 1080p?

Finally, any chance you could just bump up the bit rate to 200Mb/sec for UHD? 150Mb/sec is certainly nicer than 100Mb/sec, but 200 is still SD card capable, and would be the sweet spot for users to question needing an external 4K recorder.

Regards,

Jim Arthurs
Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:32 AM   #27
Major Player

Getting pretty excited about this camera. Did anyone else panic a little bit with they changed lenses with the sensor active and exposed? Is that a no no or am I unnecessarily freaking out a bit?
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 04:47 PM   #28
Major Player

Craig, first I'd like to say thanks and great job with the presentation. I'm sure this is exactly what I want and need. Many forum members have been waiting for something similar to this camera from Panasonic (a follow up to the AF100). We didn't get that from Panasonic, but I personally believe this is what we were waiting for and good to know it's coming from JVC.

As far as marketing this camera, I would suggest an early promotion directed toward the Panasonic AF100 users. Many of these users are now using the Canon C100 or the Panasonic GH4. What JVC is now offering (with the GY-LS300) is what we really want.

Please suggest to your marketing team, a special promotion geared toward the forum readers of this and other forums. Maybe a pre-order special price or ??? I would make it as easy as possible to get as many on board with this camera. I'd start right here, with the actual end users!
Troy Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 12:59 PM   #29
Major Player

It's kinda hard to get excited by the LS300, with its rolling shutter and fairly narrow dynamic range.

Last edited by Lawrence Bansbach; February 3rd, 2015 at 01:39 PM.
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 09:46 PM   #30
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Arthurs View Post
Craig, thank you so much for sharing the presentation.

One question...

... I'm assuming that UHD is only recorded when using the full S35mm size of the sensor... and that you will be scaling various smaller areas of the sensor for 16mm lenses or micro four thirds lenses, etc. When shooting with these lenses with smaller image circles, is the maximum resolution always taken to 1080p?

Finally, any chance you could just bump up the bit rate to 200Mb/sec for UHD? 150Mb/sec is certainly nicer than 100Mb/sec, but 200 is still SD card capable, and would be the sweet spot for users to question needing an external 4K recorder.

Regards,

Jim Arthurs
That's two questions, but that's okay.

Yes, when shooting with 16mm lenses the limitation is HD recording, but MFT can be recorded in 4K.

Regarding the 4K bit rate, it is one that we have been working on with the NLE companies for compatibility.

I hope this information is helpful, and thanks very much for your support!

- Craig

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders