Upcoming New Features for the GY-LS300 Announced - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old September 29th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #61
Major Player

Re: Upcoming New Features for the GY-LS300 Announced

Okay, so I got my audio issue worked out...

DON'T SHOOT 24P IF YOU NEED TWO DISCREET CHANNELS OF AUDIO... for instance an on-camera mic and a boom or wireless. TEST FIRST and learn from my experience. It took me nearly 4 hours to figure this one out because it's not until you load it into a computer that you discover CH2 isn't there. Bummer.

So I moved on to lenses again and am amazed to discover that my little f2.8 12-40 Olympus Pro at 87% (4K setting), 80% (normal MFT) and 52% (S16) is noticeably sharper than the EF 24-105 and EF-S 17-55 at 100% (with both Metabones and the adapter with the iris, don't remember the name).

Go figure. There may be some noise in there with the lower VSM settings, but it's not really noticeable unless you're hunting for it. Pixle-peep away if you want...

BTW, I did most of the lens tests at ISO800 because I figure real world, right. But even at 1600 the Olympus beats the Canons. I said this before, but I reiterate, I am very surprised because I like both those lenses, especially the 17-55, on my C100, which is also theoretically at "100%". This camera seems to handle lenses differently than any other I've used.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 12:51 AM   #62
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rosen View Post
different
Probably the best way to describe this camera!

Glad you got the sound issue sorted.

I think you have sold me on the 12-40, but I'll need to use a shoulder rig more often I suppose.

I still find shooting on my EX1 to be a liberating experience every so often.
I'm sure the DVX-200 with it's fixed lens and MFT sensor will keep a lot of people happy.
Old September 30th, 2015, 07:07 AM   #63
Regular Crew

The 2.0 firmware is available. I've downloaded and installed it, and I'll report back after I've had some time to play with some of the new settings.
Dave Bittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 08:49 AM   #64
Major Player

It's hassle trying to find the update isn't it?

This fools you into believe it the right place: JVCPro-MSIS

Eventually Google found this page: JVC Professional Customer Support - Firmware Upgrade
Old September 30th, 2015, 09:39 AM   #65
Major Player

Now I just need an FCPX + El Capitan update for J-Log...
Old September 30th, 2015, 02:33 PM   #66
Major Player

Duncan - another thing I like about the Olympus is that it has a focus ring that slides forward and back to activate/de-activate auto focus. If you ever, as I do, like to hit auto focus momentarily, for instance when wide, this feature means you don't have to fiddle with the button on the camera.

Be it known I am not an Olympus advocate - nor am I a JVC advocate - In fact this lens and this camera are the first I've ever owned from those respective manufacturers.

Many are discounting and badmouthing the LS300.. Well, it deserves some badmouthing, at least JVC certainly does. They could have made real waves if they'd put as much into manufacturing and support as they have in R&D. Oh well, it still shouldn't be discounted. It'll do more than a C300 MKII at less than a third of the price (except, of course, low light - the LS is pretty weak there, that's why I've kept my C100).

BTW, that 2.0 firmware isn't the zoom VSM feature is it? I thought it was an older one.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 04:41 AM   #67
Major Player

According to the download page this new firmware is:

Version: V0200-0118, Release Date: 2015-09-29

What's new:
Added new features:
Cinema 4K recording formats
70 Mbps mode at 4K
Histogram
Spot meter
VSM Zoom
JVC LOG (Cinema Log) with 800% dynamic range
Native resolution format on HD-SDI output
ZIXI Adaptive Bit Rate and Fast FTP
Multicast Streaming in UDP mode
Zebra icon on LCD screen
Support Clip Continuous recording in AVCHD

Here's a link for EU users: http://www.service.jvcpro.eu/public/...el=GY-LS300CHE
Old October 1st, 2015, 05:49 AM   #68
Major Player

I've installed it... The update went fine.

The prime zoom function is working well with my Sigma 24-70 2.8 on a Fotodiox dumb adapter.
It's variable speed on the zoom rocker, so you can feather the speed quite nicely.

I've tried my Vari-Zoom LANC controllers, and while they will trigger record they won't control the Prime zoom feature, which is a shame. Mine are Sony LANC and IIRC remember there's a couple of different variations on the LANC protocol, so perhaps someone else can test their LANC kit?

J-Log is there, and there's a 1D-LUT option in the LCD/VF menu so you monitor the recording with a LUT applied.

My LCD still looks sub par, but I can learn to live with it.

70Mbps 4k is there.

I've mapped the histogram to the joystick and it works well.
You can set upper and lower 'percentage pointers' on the histogram, from 0% right up to 110% in 5% increments. (The lower actually goes from 0-105%). These pointers are shown as red vertical bars on the histogram.

When you set the camera to J-Log, the histogram options change to F-Stops and I'll profess my utter ignorance about how to use this setting. The default 'pointer' setting in J-Log are a very narrow range on the histogram scale. Is that normal?

I'll try and shoot some tests, to see if the fixed pattern noise has improved at all.

EDIT. Quick update. On my first recording (in 709) the noise is still there. Yuk.
Old October 1st, 2015, 08:42 AM   #69
Major Player

Right after I posted I went to the JVC site and did the same... No joy with my LANC controller either, don't know the brand, came free with a Canon XF100 I bought several years ago for a carry-on.

The zoom feature is a great addition. Too bad I have to use the rocker because handheld, shoulder mounted, it just isn't practical for an in-shot zoom. But it is good on a tripod, it's a fast way to set the VSM, and handheld it works well to zoom in to focus, which in itself is worth the price of admission.

I shot some 2K at 23.976 and the judder is really bad (remember, I normally shoot 24P so I know what it should look like), I guess I need to experiment with the shutter.

Try as I can, I'm not seeing any FPN in my footage shooting 1080, cine gamma and cine color subdued. I've set the black to 0 and chroma to +2. The picture is clean, even up to 43% (I think that's the #) on the VSM zoom. I've even tried crunching the blacks with FilmConvert to force artifacts and can't see anything. Maybe I'm just not knowing what to look for (old film guy) but in any case, it's not going to bother an audience if it is there.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders