DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/)
-   -   Upcoming New Features for the GY-LS300 Announced (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/529304-upcoming-new-features-gy-ls300-announced.html)

Craig Yanagi August 4th, 2015 08:41 PM

Upcoming New Features for the GY-LS300 Announced

JVCKENWOOD has announced new features for the GY-LS300 that will be provided through a firmware upgrade in the near future: JVC News Release --JVC announces upgraded firmware 2.0 for GY-LS300

This firmware upgrade adds several important features:
• Cinema 4K (4096 x 2160) and Cinema 2K (2048 x 1080) recording
• JVC Log (Cinema log) mode with 800% dynamic range
• Prime Zoom feature that links zoom rocker with Variable Scan Mapping. Lets you zoom with a prime lens.
• Histogram (same function as on GY-HM850/890)

The update adds numerous other features as well, including color matrix adjustment, black paint, spot meter, HDMI/HD-SDI out (HD) while recording 4K, HD-SDI/HDMI trigger (for ATOMOS), 70Mbps 4K recording for longer time, smaller files (uses economical class 10 cards) and upgrades to IP and streaming (same as found on latest 800 series.)

The time frame for the firmware update release is September.

Cordially,
- Craig

Duncan Craig August 5th, 2015 02:35 AM

Re: Upcoming New Features for the GY-LS300 Announced

That certainly makes this camera more appealing. I'm considering it as a 4k upgrade to my trusty FS100.
I've got so many questions about this camera and there's mixed opinions across the internet.
Difficult to know where to start...

How much latitude/dynamic range will the Log upgrade give this camera.
Will there be a setting to use this Log in Premier or FCPX.
Will the ND wheel get in the way of a Aputure DEC lens adaptor.
Will the update improve the low light performance.
Using a dongle, can multiple clients get low res previews on iPads/iPhones & add clip name metadata.
Can this metadata been seen by Premier or FCPX.

If anyone can help, TIA
Duncan.

Duncan Craig August 6th, 2015 04:38 AM

Also, is the HDMI/SDI output 10-bit?

Duncan Craig August 7th, 2015 09:07 AM

I bit the bullet and there's an LS-300 sat in front of me now.
Initial impressions are quite favourable.

Loving the variable shutter speed and two WB presets on the push button. Weight is OK, the fan is quiet, 12 volt input is helpful, and I'm wondering if the host USB port can supply 1A 5v to run my wireless HDMI transmitter (I've seen a video that suggests it can) Switching instantly between 'PAL' and 'NTSC' frame rates is a nice change compared to my Sony experience.

Looking forward to the update. I'd like to see:

Slower shutter speeds for time lapse.
A simplified remote viewer option so that clients can just view an image with timecode but without any camera controls. (not bothered about the video lag)
Slightly better low light performance.
FCPX support for the new Log recording.

There's a few mistakes on the manual I think:

- My camera only has a 1/4 inch thread and locating pin on the base, there's no 3/8.
- Also the pdf picture of the audio selection buttons is wrong, all four vertically sliding buttons have three positions (as you would hope)

Jeff Zimmerman August 8th, 2015 11:52 AM

That's great news about the 2.0 firmware. Recently I was turned-on to this camera, the JVC-log and increased dynamic range really puts this camera on my list. Trying to get a demo camera from JVC rep in Denver. Hope to try it out 2-3 days before pulling the trigger.

Initially I was looking at get a Canon C100 or even spending a little more and get the older C300. Which are still great camera, I'm just looking to get into 4k, it will really help my interviews.

Thanks for sharing!

Dave Rochelle August 9th, 2015 09:14 PM

Craig -

This update makes the cam pretty appealing to me, but honestly the one thing still missing that I would really make use of is higher variable frame rates (up to 120 fps in at least 720p). Unless I am missing something the LS-300 tops out at 60 fps regardless of resolution, correct?

Craig Yanagi August 12th, 2015 02:50 PM

The highest frame rate in 4K is 29.97p, and in HD 50Mbp/s 4:2:2 it is 1920x1080/59.94p. With the DCI firmware update, the frame rates are specified to remain the same.

We have been suggested by numerous parties to implement recording higher frame rates, and we are looking into it.

- Craig

John Nantz August 12th, 2015 07:46 PM

Dave - re frame rate

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Rochelle (Post 1894701)
Craig - This update makes the cam pretty appealing to me, but honestly the one thing still missing that I would really make use of is higher variable frame rates (up to 120 fps in at least 720p). Unless I am missing something the LS-300 tops out at 60 fps regardless of resolution, correct?

found this bit of information on frame rates for the FS300 that might be of interest for you:
then look at 2:56 and it lists several.

If this is correct it appears you’re well covered.

Dave Rochelle August 12th, 2015 09:43 PM

I'm not sure what to make of that - since it seems at odds with what Craig (and the spec listings for the camera on B&H and other sites) are saying... which is that the cam tops out at 59.94 fps.

Dave Rochelle August 12th, 2015 10:11 PM

I don't understand the German but given the asterisks they might be talking about frame rates that are achievable using an external recording device (like an Atomos Nijna perhaps)?

Rohan Dadswell August 12th, 2015 10:44 PM

Wow - if JVC could hit those frame rates it would be great.

I would be more than happy with 120fps in HD and 72fps in UHD (of course higher is always better - 250fps HD would be ideal)

John Nantz August 13th, 2015 10:37 AM

The video is about the European model LS300CHE, in the US it is the LS300U, the specs will be somewhat different in some areas; however, the frame rates should be in the ballpark. As they saying goes, “Your kilometers may vary.”

Other areas in the video that were of interest are:
2:48 frame rates vs picture/crop size
8:47 covers adapters, including Nikon mount
11:07 lens optics available (with pictures)
11:20 Optics: format, sensor, size
14:08 HD 4:2:2 50 Mbits
19:13 live streaming configurations

A major selling point is not being tied to a lens ecosystem and that is a real plus. The downside is for many lenses an adapter would have to be used and in some cases if rails are needed there may be interference, but I think this may only be for long lenses. The other part is with a long and heavy lens the cam is nose-heavy but probably not used hand-held anyway.

One beauty of this system as opposed to a regular camcorder is a prime lens can be used. This can open up a lot of creative opportunity. Having a good prime lens on the cam really raises the bar for picture bokeh. As cams change, or if one has a B-cam, the lenses can be interchanged. Properly taken care of, a lens will last many years so good glass is a good investment, unlike a regular cam with a permanently attached lens. Something to think about.

It would be interesting what Craig has to say about the fps on the U model.

Craig Yanagi August 13th, 2015 03:30 PM

I now see the discrepancy in the dialog. The specifications being presented is that of the imager itself, not of the camcorder.

Duncan Craig August 13th, 2015 04:48 PM

I've used the camera on three jobs over four days.

Shooting interviews and cookery for an satellite infomercial - semi controlled environment, crew of 5
Shooting interviews and cutaways for online promotions - fast turnaround, crew of 2
Shooting chromakey commercials for two days - controlled, crew of 8

My major problem with the camera is the screen and evf. They are unusable at the moment.
The colour rendition is completely and utter nowhere near the actual recorded image.
It's very very hard to judge colour rendition and exposure.

Histograms will help in some respects, but just looking at the picture on the side screen (which is how I prefer to operate) the colours are muted/missing and the whites crush so easily that judging highlights is impossible. The screen peaking effect all the time during operation, which I suspect might be to blame to an extent. It can be adjusted slightly but it needs to be switched off I reckon.

But the colour is hopeless. The reds are almost missing from the image it seems.
Goodness know how exposing using Log is going to work on this camera?

The EVF has such a narrow field of view that your eye need to be exactly centred, and any deviation at all causes loss of view, plus the diopter will not stay still. Every time I go to use it, the diopter has moved and I have to stop filming to reach underneath and slide it to the middle again. I going to stick it down somehow.

But I've got to say the pictures are really lovely so long as you do a manual white balance on every single setup. The chromakey shoot was 12k of Tungsten locked down with an auto cue and the results were really clean and accurate and keyed really well in 50Mbps 422.

I'll fiddle some more with it to see what the EVF and screen options can do to help, but I expect I'm going to have to get my Small HD out of it's wireless director's rig and use it on the camera instead.

Rohan Dadswell August 13th, 2015 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Yanagi (Post 1895086)
I now see the discrepancy in the dialog. The specifications being presented is that of the imager itself, not of the camcorder.

Does this mean that there is a potential for higher frame rates?
The GY-LS300 seems to be almost alone amongst the latest crop of cameras that doesn't have this feature.