LS300 Honeymoon over - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:14 AM   #76
Trustee

Re: LS300 Honeymoon over

Hi Noa,
Thanks for the bokeh info and that was much appreciated.

One more question, if I may ask, and this is probably going to be harder, how do you think the color or look of the video of the FDR-AX100 would compare, or match up, with the LS300?

It’s been said that Panasonic, JVC, and Cannon have sorta the warm and creamy look while the Sony has the sorta cool and sharp look. What would probably make it tough, is the choice of lens and the settings used. Anyway, I was just wondering how far apart the 100 and the 300 is. Would the two clips clash if put together or maybe just look a little different? Really noticeable or somewhat noticeable? Not looking to pixel peep or nit pick. Obviously a prime lens will look different.

The other thing is the AX100 has a 1” sensor while the LS300 has a Super 35 sensor and size-wise there is a fair amount of difference.

Personally, I’ve got a couple Nikon lenses and given the adapter that would be needed it is the least cost, and the shortest length (bringing the center of gravity of the lens closer in), so going the Nikon lens route would help me out. Would really like some kind of a + or - 10X power zoom lens in the kit, though, and haven’t come across one yet. Can’t always be running around wearing a lens vest. I really like the AX100 and it’d be nice if it could somehow work, even conditionally.

P.S. I’m an old film guy too so I know where Steve is coming from. Film was expensive and trying to save a bit and squeeze an extra frame out of the roll sometimes would cost the whole roll. Talk about a bummer. Today the only cost of 4K is storage but at least it’s coming down in price.

And another P.S. That was a really nice link to the video of the dog shooting a GoPro. Really, really good! And not just the dog, the whole video was good. Our dog passed away but if he was around I’d almost consider getting remarried. But that video was sooo good! Thanks for sharing. Did you notice near the end when the couple kissed the dog kinda looked away? Wonder if this was an accident or if he didn’t care for them getting married?
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 01:08 PM   #77
Major Player

John, sorry, the last Sony I used was a DSR500, and that was 15 years ago, so I can't be of much help.

I do know that, while setting up my Pockets Cameras, I was unable to perfectly match a friends Sony footage (sorry, I don't remember which camera, but it was of fairly recent lineage) with the BM footage.

I AM able to match the Pocket with the LS300 though - that's one of those "If A equals B, and B equals C, then A must equal C" assumptions. So my guess would be the Sony footage might get close, but not be a perfect match.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #78
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nantz View Post
One more question, if I may ask, and this is probably going to be harder, how do you think the color or look of the video of the FDR-AX100 would compare, or match up, with the LS300?
I will send you a link to a photo you can download with a ls300, gh4 and ax100 headshot from myself, it's a small crop taken from a 4K frame, all where set at the same whitebalance, the ls300 and gh4 where set at iso 400, with a 25mm lens at f1.4, the ax100 was a bit zoomed in but was already at 15db gain. Pls only use it for your own reference :) I also had to move the gh4 further back a bit so the framing is a bit off compared to the ls300, this is because the ls300 doesn't crop as much in 4K like the gh4 does.

The jvc has some really nice cinema like color science going on, when you place it next to the gh4 you"ll notice the gh4 doesn't give nice skintones at all, at least not in standard, natural and cine-v modes, only cine-d comes closest, the one I used had contrast and saturation dialed back, not specifically for this test but it was already preset like this from another shoot.. The ax100 would be possible to get close enough with some colorcorrection because it has much more contrast and more red/magenta color when I look on the vectorscope. What do you think?

This is only in regard to skintones, I will be doing some more shooting the next days and will take my ax100 along as well so will let you know how that matches up, it's a combination of camera's I am planning to use in the future so I have to know.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders