DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/)
-   -   LS-300 minor update available (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/531102-ls-300-minor-update-available.html)

Rohan Dadswell February 5th, 2016 11:46 PM

LS-300 minor update available

Seems like JVC added a small firmware update about a week ago - version 2.03.
The main change is you can now control the zoom from the handle rocker and LANC.
Have tried it with a Sony LANC unit and it works fine - now to figure out how to incorporate the zoom into my handle.

JVC GY-LS300 Firmware v2.03

Noa Put February 6th, 2016 01:35 AM

Re: LS-300 minor update available

I don't get it, most of the listed features already where implemented with their previous firmwareupgrade, why do they list them again now?

Duncan Craig February 6th, 2016 07:21 AM

I can't find the an update for the CHE (European) version of the camera yet:
JVCPro-MSIS

So I won't be updating my LS300 just yet.

Steve Rosen February 6th, 2016 12:47 PM

Well, I say hooray for JVC. I asked for this and they delivered.

This update may only contain one pertinent new feature, but it is huge if, like me, you're using primes lenses (or even zooms) handheld with an EVF. I can zoom in to focus or change my effective focal length during a shot now without fumbling for the rocker. This camera is getting closer and closer to my beloved old S16 Aaton.

Rohan Dadswell February 7th, 2016 12:30 AM

Duncan, mine is also a CHE version (it came with a UK power plug even though it was sold in Australia - not very helpful) and the 2.03 update is working fine with this cam (but if you don't need the LANC zoom it is always wise to wait for an official release)

Steve - I agree, good on JVC for the update. Now all I really want is some higher frame rates (so I don't have to carry my GH4 around as well) and I'll be pretty happy.

Steve Rosen February 7th, 2016 10:04 AM

Rohan: You probably want 120fps, since universally that seems to be the current trend - but the 60fps on the LS300 works great, and when slowed 50% in an FCPX with the quality set at optical flow, the 120fps result is pretty damn good.

Rohan Dadswell February 7th, 2016 02:11 PM

Well I'd prefer 150fps or at least 125fps - something that can cleanly be divided by 25 - as I'm in PAL land. 150fps would cater to both NTSC & PAL rates.

Yes, software slomo can be pretty good (although I've had a few odd results with optical flow) - how good would 150fps slowed by 50% look?

Duncan Craig February 8th, 2016 02:35 AM

Shooting high frame rates at a multiple of 25 shouldn't matter too much, the NLE should conform the footage to fit the timeline on a frame by frame basis, rather than simply a rounded speed percentage.

Where it would be of more importance perhaps, is if the lighting has a obvious flicker when filming slo-mo.
A bit like shooting a 60Hz projector in PAL land.

The 300 has flicker reduction doesn't it? I've not used it, but simply chosen 1/60th shutter if I needed it.

Duncan Craig February 10th, 2016 03:10 PM

I've just upgraded my UK LS300 using the existing firmware, then I did a full reset.
Next, I put the settings back to how I had them previously and it's all looking good.

A Varizoom VZ-Rock can control the OSD toggle, autofocus and manual focussing as well as the VSM, record start/stop and put the camera to sleep. Fantastic.

However, the VSM LANC zoom control is very coarse compared to the amazing ultra slow creep that you can get using the on camera side rocker. For most occasions it's going to work fine, but a finer control would be much nicer.

Next week I've got a four days drama shoot and I'm going to try the camera set internally to 100% VSM then adjust the scanning via the LANC as I go. As discussed on here already, many MFT lenses don't vignette too much until around 90% - sometimes more.

The director wants to use my primes occasionally too, so this will mean less time spent in VSM menu.
I assume there's no quality difference adjusting the VSM internally, or via the LANC/Rocker?

Craig Yanagi February 11th, 2016 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan Craig (Post 1908772)
I assume there's no quality difference adjusting the VSM internally, or via the LANC/Rocker?

Correct. Image quality will not be affected by the selection of the VSM+ zoom.

Regarding the zoom speed, the pace can only be set for the rocker on the removable handle since it has specific settings. Speed on the grip and LANC remote will need to be regulated by the pressure applied.

I hope this helps.

- Craig

Lee Powell February 16th, 2016 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan Craig (Post 1908772)
A Varizoon VZ-Rock can control the OSD toggle, autofocus and manual focussing as well as the VSM, record start/stop and put the camera to sleep.

Thanks for the tip. I found several different Varizoom VZ-Rock models on B&H that look like they may work on the LS300:

VariZoom VZ-ROCK - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Y&A=details&Q=

VariZoom VZ-ROCK-J150 - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Y&A=details&Q=

VariZoom VZ-ROCK-J600 - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Y&Q=&A=details

Which model are you using? Do all buttons on the VZ-ROCK work with the LS300?

Duncan Craig February 19th, 2016 01:52 AM

Hello Lee, I'm just back from four long days of drama filming with the LS300 and using my Varizoom VZ rock for the first time. It worked really well, all the functions buttons work except for the iris control even though I'm using native Panasonic MFT lenses.

Having digital zoom on the rocker allowed me to do some camera moves that I wasn't able to before.

Duncan.

Luke Miller May 24th, 2016 10:34 AM

Duncan

I am in the market for a lanc controller for my LS300. Which Varizoom VZ-Rock are you using with yours? There appear to be two similar models, the VZ-Rock for Canon/Sony and the VZ-Rock J600 for JVC cameras. The JVC model is $100 higher.

Thanks,
Luke

Duncan Craig May 24th, 2016 11:19 AM

Hi Luke.

Mine are all very old.
I used them with old Sony camcorders like the VX2000, and Z1.

So I think you need the Sony versions.

Luke Miller May 24th, 2016 12:08 PM

Thanks Duncan

Regards,
Luke