J-Log1 and the LS300 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old March 4th, 2016, 04:16 AM   #1
Major Player

J-Log1 and the LS300

I'm interested to know how people are using Log on their LS300?
Particularly in terms of operation - Correctly exposing, WB etc.

Thanks.
Old March 4th, 2016, 09:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: J-Log1 and the LS300

I think your only option will be to wait for Steve Mullens part 2 field report, I have been doing more tests today in my own house in preparation for that interior shoot of a pharmacy store I have tomorrow. While I prefer itu709 with some added color gain and normal black toe for weddings because it gives a nice punchy image and then I don't mind if I loose some detail in the shadows or highlights but I much prefer jlog1 for a interior shoot. I first did not understand what the main difference is but when I compare jlog to itu709 in higher contrast scenes the difference is quite obvious and jlog also looks more "cinematic" if that's the right word for it. I think I just will go for it tomorrow and shoot jlog1 and see where that leads me. I"m a bit nervous though as I"m shooting for a interior design company :) Will post the results when it's ready.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 10:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Duncan - not very scientific, but JLOG-! isn't nearly as radical as S-Log or the WDR on Canons, so I basically expose so the image looks good. I do have a Gratical with a Histogram, and I check to be sure the lump is in the middle of the range... I'm not a technical person, but with experience my footage always looks good. I also have a Spectra meter that I use if I'm not sure, or if my eyes are getting tired.

With JVC's log the image out of the camera is nearly useable as is... I basically crunch the blacks a little and dial up the chroma about +15 - +30 in FCPX.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 01:12 PM   #4
Major Player

I've always thought the same Steve.

I was wondering about the internal histogram where to best set the upper and lower indicators.
For now I've just set them at the min and max. It seems like you watch that the super whites aren't clipping, let the rest takes care of itself.

You can certainly tell how mild J-Log1 is, when you add a Sony LUT the JVC footage looks like a thermonuclear apocalypse.

Regarding what to do in post, I've found that getting the blacks down is tricky.
You can set it for one position and when the shot pans the you suddenly find you're getting crushed sub-blacks. I'm guessing this is because the gamma is so wide it's pushing the lower end around a little.

So I'm using levels instead which clamp the blacks and white, but that's not a great solution as any correction after the levels has lost that clamped information.

I guess that a proper LUT utility setup in post gets around this, as the LUT is applied to the clip before any other processes.

Perhaps until FCPX is update with J-Log1 I'll have to try grading in Resolve. Up until now I've always stayed in the NLE, but Log requires me to have a rethink. I could never get on with Protune on a GoPro either. Maybe it's just me.
Old March 5th, 2016, 02:20 AM   #5
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rosen View Post
Duncan - not very scientific, but JLOG-! isn't nearly as radical as S-Log or the WDR on Canons, so I basically expose so the image looks good. I do have a Gratical with a Histogram, and I check to be sure the lump is in the middle of the range... I'm not a technical person, but with experience my footage always looks good. I also have a Spectra meter that I use if I'm not sure, or if my eyes are getting tired.

With JVC's log the image out of the camera is nearly useable as is... I basically crunch the blacks a little and dial up the chroma about +15 - +30 in FCPX.
I have found the same -- I call it a "non-aggressive log." Which makes me wonder if there will be J-log2.
Old March 5th, 2016, 11:58 AM   #6
Major Player

In this age when many are going for the (much overused) washed-out blue zombi look in color grading, J-LOG requires that you get it close to right in camera (which appeals to me a lot),

For instance, with the Pocket Camera in Film Mode, the resulting image in raw or ProRes has so much depth it can be manipulated to correct many errors from inexperience, or changes of mind. J-LOG is more like shooting film. There's some wiggle room, but it makes you a better cinematographer when you get away from the fix-it-in-post mindset.
Old March 5th, 2016, 05:21 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Finished a shoot today and shot in jlog and it looks great, exposing my shot is just as easy as in another preset, I actually also like it as-is, like Steve said, crushing the blacks and adding saturation is already a very good starting point or even good enough as final product. I mixed it with my gh4 cine-d with saturation and contrast dialed down and both matched quite well.
Old March 14th, 2016, 01:20 AM   #8
HDV Cinema

In writing Part 2 I'm surprised to discover that my estimates for the correct exposure values results in an "almost ready to use contrast" the JVC supplied values yield a much lower contrast -- flatter -- image. This could mean I've been getting much less DR than is possible. So now I need to retest.

This stuff is really complicated! I know two critical issues are that log can push shadows into noise and 8-bits are really not ideal for log.

Which makes me wonder why JVC has LS300 charts that use 10-bit data. Where do they get these data?

I'll post some stuff as I write so others can test.
Old March 14th, 2016, 01:30 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I shot the last 2 Saturdays for a client and used jlog, I exposed like I do when shooting itu709 with the zebra's set to 95%top and 90% bottom and I just set the exposure until have no zebra's on parts where I want to have detail and then I check the histogram. Everything that I shot was exposed right so I guess I"m doing it right? I used after effects to colorcorrect the footage by adding the indoor and outdoor lut jvc has supplied for this camera and it looks great but a bit over saturated so I have to tone that part a bit down if needed. Shooting log made a big differences shooting in these higher contrast scenes with harsh outside light shining inside a office space and with spots inside the room. As I understood grassvalley will be adding lut support in edius soon so I can stop using after effects which will be a big timesaver.
Old March 14th, 2016, 07:23 AM   #10
Major Player

Noa, what ISO/Gain settings are you using?

I normally use the lowest three when in 709. The camera defaults to very high values the first time you use Log, so I set them back down to the lowest three ISOs. Then when going back to 709 I found that all three had changed to 400 ISO... Odd.

What I did find was that at 400 ISO I couldn't get the histogram reading to reach 100 IRE, in fact it only seemed to go to about 90%. From memory I bumped up the ISO to 500 and the knee kicked in about 100 and it was able to capture somewhere into super whites.
Old March 14th, 2016, 02:33 PM   #11
HDV Cinema

"What I did find was that at 400 ISO I couldn't get the histogram reading to reach 100 IRE, in fact it only seemed to go to about 90%."

Ditto!!!

Some camera's auto bump ISO several stops the minute one engages log. Now I need to re-read the reason why.
Old March 14th, 2016, 02:44 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Is this not because the camera has max dynamic range at 800iso in jlog? Also when switching to log the iso doubles. I mainly used 400 and 800 iso during the shoot. Here are 2 frames from a shot outside that location I had to shoot last weekends where I shot in jlog and the same with the lut applied. I have tried to do the same in Edius with regular colorcorrection but I can't get it there so hopefully the possibility to add a lut inside edius will be implemented soon.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cjpg
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:10 AM   #13
Major Player

I'm sorry, but I obviously haven't been doing enough research - where did you discover that the LS300's DR is best at ISO 800? Does that mean that, as with the Pocket Cameras, 800 is the native ISO of the the sensor with log?

As a rule, from my film days, I automatically gravitate toward the lowest ASA/ISO/Gain to keep noise (originally grain) at a minimum. Even with the Pocket Cameras I've found that I get the cleanest shadows at 400.

I've been shooting at 400 consistently with the 300, although I have ventured into 800 and 1600 occasionally. Since I've only shot J-Log1 since it's availability, I have no reference, but I've found 400 very forgiving in high contrast situations (i.e., exteriors in bright sun).
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:33 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I didn't say the ls300 has a native iso of 800 in jlog, I was asking this as a question, hence the question mark at the end of my sentence.
Old March 17th, 2016, 11:18 AM   #15
Major Player

Sorry, I didn't interpret the question correctly - so I wonder what the native ISO is...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders