DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/)
-   -   How can you overcome the file limitation size with the HM200? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/531327-how-can-you-overcome-file-limitation-size-hm200.html)

John Hume March 5th, 2016 04:31 AM

How can you overcome the file limitation size with the HM200?

I have recently bought the HM200 but am increasingly frustrated by the inability to over come the 4GB (10 min) file limitation. I have set it in the menu, am using 128gb transcend SDXC U10 cards formatted in the camera, and yet I still get split files. When these files are put into Vegas there is a noticeable gap between the files. I need to have one continuous file. With my Sony ax100 camcorders its simple, download using Sony Playmemories and all the files are joined into one. Why can't other manufacturers do the same? Is there some other software that will download and stich the JVC files together. If not then where is the point of these cameras?

Please help otherwise I have bought an expensive white elephant. I have an important shoot coming up and want to use this camera as it looks a bit more professional than the AX100, but I can't have split files with a noticeable jump when they are put together.

Roger Gunkel March 5th, 2016 05:40 AM

Re: How can you overcome the file limitation size with the HM200?

Hi John,

Did you not have a disc supplied with the camera with proprietary software specifically for that purpose? I don't use JVC, but certainly my Panasonics all came with software for downloading the footage from the camera with seemless clip joining. If you don't use the supplied software, some of the embedded information may not be transferred and you will drop some frames. There may also be third party software available but others will know more I'm sure.

Roger

Donald McPherson March 5th, 2016 08:33 AM

I never understand why in this day and age we still use this fat32 format.

William Hohauser March 5th, 2016 09:24 AM

On the Mac side there is a great, fast program called EditReady that can stitch the files together and retitle them if you want. On the PC side I am sure there is something equivalent. Make sure to choose "Re-wrap" when making the files so you are not recompressing the files.

John Hume March 5th, 2016 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel (Post 1910320)
Hi John,

Did you not have a disc supplied with the camera with proprietary software specifically for that purpose? I don't use JVC, but certainly my Panasonics all came with software for downloading the footage from the camera with seemless clip joining. If you don't use the supplied software, some of the embedded information may not be transferred and you will drop some frames. There may also be third party software available but others will know more I'm sure.

Roger

The only disc supplied just had on it the complete manual. No help at all. Beginning to think that JVC is just a joke.

John Hume March 5th, 2016 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald McPherson (Post 1910326)
I never understand why in this day and age we still use this fat32 format.

The cards are actually formatted as exFat so shouldn't have any limitations but am still getting individual 3.45 clips and not one complete clip.

Noa Put March 5th, 2016 03:56 PM

My gy ls300 also records in 09:46min pieces but when I add them in Edius and place these separate files against eachother there is no video or audioloss, is it a quicktime or avchd codec you are using? And are you using the latest version of Vegas?

Ron Evans March 5th, 2016 04:09 PM

Are you also letting Vegas take them off the card/camcorder or are you inputting individual files ? AVCHD is FAT32 length files whatever the card file format. You can use Device Explorer under the view menu to import clips from your camcorder. I have all Sony's so cannot confirm whether this will work for your JVC. Import programs need other files on the card to correctly join clips together so just grabbing just the files will not always lead to good results sometimes missing frames or audio. !!!

Ron Evans

John Hume March 6th, 2016 06:21 AM

Hi Ron. Like you uptil now I've have been all Sony which work fine. We also seem to film the same sort of shows and events and have often read your comments and agreed with them.

I now have 3 AX100's and a CX100 for filming shows and whilst I use them in the AVCHD format they will also record Sony's XAVCs format and there is no file size limitation on this.

I thought that this JVC camcorder would be similar. Yes the AVCHD files would be split into 2gb segments but I did expect to be able to put them onto a timeline and for them to run sequentially, but this doesn't seem to happen, or that JVC would, like Sony with Playmemories, provide some simple software that would stitch the clips together.

The other surprise is that the .MOV formats are so difficult to work with. My Vegas 12 crashes when I try to play them on the timeline and the 4.2.2 YUV won't import at all. Quicktime doesn't play these files either, only the VLC player. Seems to me that JVC only care about Apple users who have FCPX.

I bought the camera as it looks a bit more professional than the AX100 for commercial use but it is pointless if I can't actually edit any files. I was also tempted by the ability to stream directly to YouTube but now not sure how useful that it is going to be.

Really wish that I had stuck to Sony and bought the NX100 as at least that would have fitted in with the AX100s.

John Hume March 6th, 2016 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1910356)
My gy ls300 also records in 09:46min pieces but when I add them in Edius and place these separate files against eachother there is no video or audioloss, is it a quicktime or avchd codec you are using? And are you using the latest version of Vegas?

Hi Noa

I'm using Vegas 12. Vegas 13 didn't offer me anything extra so I didn't bother upgrading. I can't seem to get Edius onto my computer as the downloader says that I need a couple of Windows updates and Windows says that I already have them so I go round and round in circles and Edius refuses to install.

Which recording format are you using? The main problem seems to be with the HD 50M YUV 4.2.2 as nothing I have, except the VLC player recognises this. The 50M XHQ will import into Vegas 12 but the program crashes when I try to play it on the timeline. I haven't tried the 4k yet.

Noa Put March 6th, 2016 06:32 AM

My ls300 has the same codecs as your camera but I don't have any issue with the codecs this camera uses, neither in playback or while editing and I am using edius 8wg on windows 7pro. I just tried to import a few jvc files into after effects and that also is possible.
Sorry that I can't give you any other advice.

Ron Evans March 6th, 2016 06:55 AM

I know this would be another step but have you tried getting TMPGenc to convert to another format for you to use. I know EDIUS had some issues wanting updates and cannot remember now what the resolution was to solve that.

Ron Evans

Noa Put March 6th, 2016 07:12 AM

There definitely is something going on with jvc codecs because this is not the first user I see complaining about workflow issues, not sure though if it is jvc responsibility to assure it works in every NLE, it's like the samsung nx1 that had the h265 codec when it came out, there it also was the NLE manufacturer that had to update their software to make it work natively. My experience with Edius is that they take their" edit anything" slogan more seriously then some other NLE"s. I have shot in HD and 4K using it's available codecs and it's just matter of dragging and dropping the files straight from the card onto the timeline, it all just works for me. I know this is not helping John much but it's just to show that it can work.