DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/)
-   -   Editing programs won't read JVC .mov files (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/531328-editing-programs-wont-read-jvc-mov-files.html)

John Hume March 5th, 2016 01:16 PM

Editing programs won't read JVC .mov files

OK another problem that I've encountered. Neither Vegas 12 nor Magic Pro2016 will recognize the .mov files. I've downloaded Quicktime and even that doesn't seem to recognize them (although VLC does). Please someone tell me what I am doing wrong before I tear out what remains of my hair. I've never had so many problems with a camcorder before.

Joachim Claus March 6th, 2016 04:06 AM

Re: Editing programs won't read JVC .mov files

You download Sony's Content Browser or Catalyst Browse. Both are free of charge. They read XDCAM EX structured disks/SD-cards. They can do two important issues for you:
1. Join separated parts of a clip,
2. Export into a format for editing systems.

Content Browser
Sony Creative Software - Content Browser 1.1

Catalyst Browse
Sony Creative Software - Catalyst Browse

Joachim

Matt Grover March 6th, 2016 04:29 AM

I'm on Mac OS 10.11.3, I'm guessing you're on a Windows machine, but most of the CODECs play ball for me, but the 50M (YUV) one whilst importing into FCPX fine, won't open in any other video app on my Mac, is an odd one

Noa Put March 6th, 2016 05:16 AM

Something else must be going on as I can playback, import and edit jvc files without a problem on my pc with edius 8 as NLE, I have quicktime installed as edius needs it but never use it as player as there is no reason why I should, I use vlc instead.

John Hume March 6th, 2016 06:05 AM

I've been doing more experiments and it seems to be the 50M (YUV) that is the problem. VLC will play this but the even Apple's Quicktime player won't so what is its use? the 50M (XHQ) is recognised but when imported into Vegas 12 the program crashes.

I've tried to download the trial version of Edius Pro 8 but it says that I need to install a couple of Windows 7 updates but when I try to do this Windows says that I already have them. So I am going round and round in circles.

appreciate everyones comments but I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

John Hume March 6th, 2016 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim Claus (Post 1910380)
You download Sony's Content Browser or Catalyst Browse. Both are free of charge. They read XDCAM EX structured disks/SD-cards. They can do two important issues for you:
1. Join separated parts of a clip,
2. Export into a format for editing systems.

Content Browser
Sony Creative Software - Content Browser 1.1

Catalyst Browse
Sony Creative Software - Catalyst Browse

Joachim

Aren't these just for Sony professional camcorders?

Ron Evans March 6th, 2016 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hume (Post 1910384)

Catalyst Browse is worth a try as it is free and I use it for my AX100 files too. It says h264 so may transcode the files for you.

Ron Evans

Joachim Claus March 7th, 2016 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hume (Post 1910384)

JVC HM-series of camcorders use the XDCAM-format, at least with HM100/150/700/750 series of camcorders. I am not quite sure whether HM200 uses the same SDHC-card format when running in UHD-mode.

Joachim

Steve Mullen March 10th, 2016 01:30 AM

Before posting a "title" like this -- think! You mean an NLE on your computer will not open a very specific type of .mov file.

The type is XHQ.

Will not play in either QT but does play in VLC. Loads and plays fine in Premiere CC and FCP X.

Noa Put March 10th, 2016 02:58 AM

I"m sure the problem is either a NLE that is too old to recognize certain newer codecs or the NLE manufacturer doesn't provide solutions for codecs that deviate from a standard, the only thing you can do is either transcode them to another format or buy a NLE that does support the codec.