HDMI Latency at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old May 6th, 2016, 01:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDMI Latency

Has anyone noticed any latency when viewing on an external monitor over HDMI? There seems to a very noticeable delay on my Aputure 7" monitor, but I'm not sure if it is the camera or the monitor.

Last edited by Scott Berrington; May 6th, 2016 at 02:05 PM.
Scott Berrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 03:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: HDMI Latency

I'll be receiving an Apurture 7" monitor in a day or so and can test it on a couple of cameras.
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 04:33 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm not seeing it - but, I'm sure there is some, but I've been using an EVF (not a monitor) consistently through my last five cameras so I think I've just gotten used to it... (AF100, HVX250, C100, 2 Pockets)

This is a long way of saying that if there is lag with the LS300, it's not worse that any other camera I've used.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 05:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

So it looks like a 5 frame delay as seen in the picture. Now how much is the camera and how is the monitor?
Attached Thumbnails
HDMI Latency-image.jpeg  
Scott Berrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 06:00 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I expect it is all the camera. The camera has to encode and format for HDMI that takes time and processing power.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 10:02 AM   #6
Major Player

Yeah, I'd guess 4-5 frames is pretty normal. and yes, it is the camera.

In critical fast moving follow focus situations or effects timing (like squibs), it could be an issue - or if you're a two eye shooter (one eye on the monitor/EVF, the other on the scene) you could get sea sick - but otherwise not - at least for me. I shoot handheld, often very fast moving, verite style and, as I said above, have gotten so used to the lag I barely remember it's there.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 08:40 PM   #7
Inner Circle

HDMI always has latency, it depends on the equipment and how the equipment is used. First in the camera, it depends on how the output of the imaging pickups are processed in the hardware. The fastest you could expect the output is one frame behind. The viewfinder one the camera might be one frame behind. Then the receiving device has to process the input so you can expect another frame at best. So that's already two frames, some equipment can add another frame or two. And if you add another HDMI device in the chain, an external recorder for example or a HDMI splitter, you can expect more frames delayed. SDI however in most circumstances can almost be instantaneous.
Old May 8th, 2016, 09:05 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I tried it out with the Blackmagic pocket camera and if there is latency, it is barely noticeable.
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 10:48 AM   #9
Major Player

Yeah, I tried the HDMI with the Z-Finder and the SDI with the Gratical (my usual setup) and I can see a difference - but, again, I don't find the HDMI that distracting (people don't look out of sync for instance).
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders