DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/)
-   -   Olympus M. Zuiko 12-40mm (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/531857-olympus-m-zuiko-12-40mm.html)

Jim Nogueira May 14th, 2016 09:57 AM

Olympus M. Zuiko 12-40mm

1 Attachment(s)
Just received this lens, and couldn't be happier. It balances perfectly on the LS300, it's sharp, zoom and focus work smoothly, and it has a nice solid feel to it. I can use my 12-35 Panasonic on the GH4 now for two camera shoots. It's pricey, but well worth it IMHO.

Steve Rosen May 14th, 2016 12:48 PM

Re: Olympus M. Zuiko 12-40mm

Great lens.. I've had one since it came out and love it.. especially that you can slide the focus ring to switch between auto and manual.

In fact, this last week I've been shooting welding, fabrication and diesel mechanics classes at a college and that is the only lens I used, With the VSM set at 86% you end up with the equivalent of a 10mm to 90mm+ lens... perfect for documentary work.

Some complain it doesn't have OIS, but use it and you'll want it.

Noa Put May 14th, 2016 12:51 PM

Olympus makes very solid lenses, I have their 12mmf2.0 and another stellar lens, the 75mm f1.8.

Noa Put May 14th, 2016 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Rosen (Post 1914570)
With the VSM set at 86% you end up with the equivalent of a 10mm to 90mm+ lens... perfect for documentary work.

How can a 12-40mm lens become a 10-90+mm?

Steve Rosen May 14th, 2016 06:11 PM

I said "equivalent"...

With the VSM set at 86% (instead of 80%) and the lens at 12mm the image is slightly wider than my 10.4mm Cooke, With the VSM zoomed in to 43% (I think) and the lens at 40mm, the image is nearly identical to my Canon FD 100 (which I've always thought was closer to 90mm).

And of course I'm shooting 1080. not 4k (which I've only had one reason to use in nearly a year - and even that client now prefers 1080 after we did a projected side-by-side comparison in a 500 seat theater).

Nothing scientific, just personal experience. See below...

Steve Rosen May 14th, 2016 06:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
These are with the VSM at 92%, which is slightly too wide for my tastes,,, shot at f2.8

Noa Put May 15th, 2016 12:00 AM

Didn't think of it in that way, I guess if you really need it it's there but it looks too impracticable to me to use as it does require making the changes in the cameramenu and then restarting the camera. Changing lenses also takes time but a 40-150mm f2.8 also gives you a shallower dof should you need it at 90mm.
Eventhough those Olympus zooms are of the best quality you can find for m4/3 the lack of stabilization would make me choose the panasonic versions, like the 12-35 and the 35-100 as for handheld work unestablished lenses just won't cut it, unless you use a wideangle lens.

Jim Nogueira May 15th, 2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Rosen (Post 1914570)
Great lens.. I've had one since it came out and love it.. especially that you can slide the focus ring to switch between auto and manual.

In fact, this last week I've been shooting welding, fabrication and diesel mechanics classes at a college and that is the only lens I used, With the VSM set at 86% you end up with the equivalent of a 10mm to 90mm+ lens... perfect for documentary work.

Some complain it doesn't have OIS, but use it and you'll want it.

Steve, thanks for your input about the lens. I believe that I started looking into the lens initially after reading one of your posts.

Steve Rosen May 15th, 2016 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1914599)
Didn't think of it in that way, I guess if you really need it it's there but it looks too impracticable to me to use as it does require making the changes in the cameramenu and then restarting the camera. Changing lenses also takes time but a 40-150mm f2.8 also gives you a shallower dof should you need it at 90mm.
Eventhough those Olympus zooms are of the best quality you can find for m4/3 the lack of stabilization would make me choose the panasonic versions, like the 12-35 and the 35-100 as for handheld work unestablished lenses just won't cut it, unless you use a wideangle lens.

I make documentaries exclusively and handhold 90% of the time - have been for over 40 years since the Eclair NPR - when OIS was science fiction. I prefer the fluid handheld look to the overly slick trend of gimbles and sliders. Just my personal preference and not meant as a criticism.

I had the 12-35 Lumix (still have the 35-100) but much prefer the more filmic look of the Olympus, plus the slightly longer top end. And for manual focusing (which I also prefer), it is far superior.

If I want a really shallow DOF (which I believe is often distracting and overdone) I have Rokinon primes, and do use them to isolate a subject in the frame. With the LS300 (as I've said several times in other threads) I can use the 35 T1.5 with the VSM at 100% and shoot everything from medium wide to medium long using the Prime Zoom. It's another good working setup, and gives me manual iris.

Duncan Craig May 16th, 2016 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1914599)
it looks too impracticable to me to use as it does require making the changes in the cameramenu and then restarting the camera.

Noa. You don't need to go into a menu or restart.
VSM can be controlled via the zoom rockers or a LANC controller.
That's how I use it anyway.

I agree that the stabilisation is a big plus on the 12-35mm.

Noa Put May 16th, 2016 06:49 AM

I just see that a restart is not required but can you change the percentage of the VSM with the zoomrocker? How do you do that?

Duncan Craig May 16th, 2016 07:05 AM

You set it in the menu.

It's one of my favourite features, use the main zoom rocker and you can get ultra low creeping zooms.
Or bang it in to reframe during takes.

After the original 'VSM on the Zoom' rocker update I suggested on here that it needed to work via a LANC zoom and JVC delivered a couple of versions ago.

Noa Put May 16th, 2016 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan Craig
You don't need to go into a menu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan Craig
You set it in the menu.

:) That was what I was talking about, you need to go into the menu to change it, I know how the vsm is operated, have used it with my last wedding all the time with the zoomrocker using my 12-35mm and 15mm lens, works great, only If I need like a 75mm and beyond I prefer to use a 75mm lens and not change the percentage of the vsm on a wider angle lens to get there, the dof is much shallower when using a 75mm as is or when using a 12-40mm and using the vsm to get the same focal length, I would always prefer a 75mm is such a case

Duncan Craig May 16th, 2016 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1914672)
can you change the percentage of the VSM with the zoomrocker? How do you do that?

Then you say
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1914672)
I know how the vsm is operated, have used it with my last wedding all the time with the zoomrocker using my 12-35mm

I'm confused now.

I said you set VSM on the Zoom Rocker in a menu.
You only go into the menu once, and then leave it set permanently.

While filming you can adjust the VSM in tiny increments using the zoom rocker.

And with the newer firmware it also works via a LANC zoom rocker.
My LANC controller lets me adjust VSM, focus and iris on my 12-35, plus start/stop and camera power.

Is that any clearer?

Noa Put May 16th, 2016 09:14 AM

Steve said that he could make his 12-40mm a equivalent of a 10-90+mm by changing the vsm percentages, I said that I found this too impracticable because you have to go into the menu for that. Then you said you don't need to go into the menu hence my question how and then you said you can change it in the menu so you got me confused :)