JVC manual focus & flicker problem - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old December 8th, 2016, 01:14 PM   #16
New Boot

Re: JVC manual focus & flicker problem

I agree with you there are things that can be done for cinematography, paid interviews, info commercials shots but my world is live, no dress rehearsal, walk in and the action happens. I depend on crews to make the needed changes but even the former JVC engineer today told me it's hard to get TV crews to change off of auto.

Regarding resolution, If I start the event in 4k I can not stop to change cameras setting. We're going to the end of the show with what we started. Beside tests show it happens on 1080p just like 4k, no difference. Likewise, I can not start in 1080p and then realize I could have had enough light to shoot in 4k.

Regarding sharpening; I don't want my images blurry, it has to go to -10 which is too much blur.

Regarding frame rate; in weddings, stage plays, concerts with lighting. I am at 24 fps and 24 shutter with 12 DB gasping for more lux. These cameras do not do well in low light. I always shoot 30 fps with 60 shutter if I have the light.

If you could I would really like to see your video of the led lights were causing a strobbing effect.

And thanks for your interest and comments on my problem, I do need the help right now.
Ronald Czarnecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 01:36 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Now that I know what your doing with the shutter I doubt it's the resolution. Btw low shutter will also contribute to softness. 24 @ 24 shutter is a serious no no.
I do low light events too but at some point it is what it is. There are consequences when you depart from standard practices.

Here's the video
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...low-light.html
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 04:30 PM   #18
Inner Circle

There are two things that I agree with you is wrong with the camera:

1) That strange moire on the pink shirt. That is not normal for even cheaper cameras.
2) The image lag as you shake the camera in the restaurant. I would expect that in a very cheap camera or smartphone. Even with a slow shutter it shouldn't lag like that. Something is wrong with the camera's processors.

The other things in your video are different issues.

The focus shift is either from the camera not really being focus in the wide shot and the auto-focus is hunting now that the image has changed or there is damage to the zoom. I had a camera that came that way and it was exchanged when JVC saw that it was clearly damaged in shipping. If you use manual focus and it goes out of focus when you zoom in and out after you set your focus zoomed all the way in, then you have a damaged zoom. By the way, DSLR zoom lenses don't hold their focus when you zoom in and out. Video zooms should.

The glitch you circled in the outdoor footage is an insect flying by.
Old December 8th, 2016, 10:12 PM   #19
New Boot

Thank you for that detail, that is the best advice to answer these concerns. I found out today that when JVC sent the letter blaming camera operator they also sent the cameras back. They are not going to look at the problems. Thanks to your insights I can do more investigation and ask better questions to JVC support.

When you say, "camera not really being focus in the wide shot", you do realize that the camera is on auto focus and given the depth of field the talent should be in focus on the wide shot. With the moving around on the stage, I depend on the camera to grab a focus on a wide shot. I have other examples of focus lose. Here are some slow zooms with auto during interviews. I did not expect the camera to act this way.

Ronald Czarnecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2016, 04:17 AM   #20
Major Player

OK. That looks exactly like a back focus problem.

Please shoot a test video in daylight, on a tripod.
Use manual everything!
Do not use a wide open iris.

Zoom in all the way to a distant object and manually focus on it.
Now zoom out.
Is it still in focus?

Now zoom out and focus on an object in the middle distance.
Zoom in.
Is the focus shifting to the foreground or background?
Old December 9th, 2016, 07:42 AM   #21
Inner Circle

That's not a backfocus problem if you ask me, just the autofocus that gets confused. Maybe the lens is also not designed to keep focus when you zoom in, lock focus and zoom out.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2016, 08:37 AM   #22
Major Player

I expect that this camera doesn't allow the operator to manually rack focus and while zooming at the same time. Can you please confirm this Ronald?

Like most built in lenses I doubt it's parfocal, so the electronic will automatically adjust the focus as you zoom to accommodate the expected focus shifts.

I reckon the back focus is off and when he zooms the electronics are incorrectly adjusting the focus to compensate. Then once the zooming stops the camera turns on autofocus again and focusses it properly.

It's the same repeating pattern on every zoom. If the camera was simply struggling to find focus then it would do it all the time regardless of the zooming. But it happens just after the zooming starts.

The best way to check is to do a zoom with the focus in manual and see what happens.
Old December 9th, 2016, 09:38 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Czarnecki View Post

When you say, "camera not really being focus in the wide shot", you do realize that the camera is on auto focus and given the depth of field the talent should be in focus on the wide shot. With the moving around on the stage, I depend on the camera to grab a focus on a wide shot. I have other examples of focus lose. Here are some slow zooms with auto during interviews. I did not expect the camera to act this way.

Vimeo
Sorry you're having these problems Ronald. I bought a pair of the HM-170s about three weeks ago. Our cameras do have some limitations.

Though I've only used the two new cameras on two jobs so far, the only problem I've run into as yet was due to "muscle memory" from my two previous cameras the JVCs are replacing (Canon XH-A1S and older XH-A1).

With a camera like the HM-170, I don't think using auto focus is EVER a good idea. That one problem I experienced was when the camera somehow accidently slipped into auto focus instead of manual focus on me, and that was probably due to an old habit I had with my Canons. They had a great instant autofocus with a handy button for it on the side in the exact same place the side where the two AF/MF and FULL AUTO buttons are on the JVCs. I'm certain I pushed one of those buttons reflexively. Then there was that dreadful auto focus hunting... like in your short video of the interviews above. Exactly like that. MY operator error.

The JVCs don't have the great autofocus my two Canons did. I don't expect them to. The Canons were expensive when new. The JVCs are very inexpensive. But they are still a good value for me, as long as I use them within their limitations.

I'm still getting used to my two new HM-170s. To help, I bought a varizoom controller and an external monitor. They really help with nailing the manual focus. The peaking also helps, but I don't use it when I have the external monitor hooked up. It's not necessary. You can also turn on the settings for the camera to display the focus distance info. When you set it so the Infinity symbol is showing (looks like a sidewise "8"), everything farther from the camera than the minimum focus distance is in focus. That's a trick I've used on other cameras when filming performances or sports to keep people from moving in and out of focus. I'd used the Canons for years on hundreds of jobs, so didn't need the monitor for them, because I knew the cameras so well. I knew when I could trust focus and when I could not.

The color problems are a different issue. That pink shirt and stage lights might be tough to deal with on various cameras if that was a very saturated pink. Could be the single, relatively small chip running up against it's limitations. I filmed a concert with my Nikon DSLR and stage lighting and clothing with saturated colors caused some problems. I cut to one of my 3 chip Canons then when editing.

Sorry, I'm not surprised JVC service found nothing out of the ordinary. There are trade-offs to consider between different cameras. If most of my paying work was stage performances under varying lighting conditions, I would have chosen a different camera. For my corporate and legal work, the JVCs are fine.

Last edited by Roger Van Duyn; December 9th, 2016 at 09:51 AM. Reason: typos, spelling, awkward phrasing...
Roger Van Duyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2016, 09:56 AM   #24
Major Player

Roger, a few questions.

Can you zoom and pull focus at the same time on this camera?
Does it have autofocus override so you can tweak the focus while in autofocus?

I owned a few DV cameras where the electronic lens' focus correction would stop you from adjusting focus while zooming.
Old December 9th, 2016, 10:21 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Roger made good points different cameras excel at certain applications. With in reason there is some degree of cross over between applications. For low light, shallow dof and auto focus you can't beat dslr and mirrorless cameras.

HM-170 is an odd mix. A single 1/3" sensor isn't good for low light especially in 4k. It's surprising it does 4:2:2 in hd but that would be my format of choice. Although it makes me wonder how its fitting 4:2:2 @50 bit rate. I'd wager the small sensor and compression most likely negates the benefits you would expect in 4:2:2 as seen in the pink shirt which I add is also over exposed. Stage light and color is challenging don't over expose and be happy with what you have.

I once used this camera for a rock band shoot and was blown away by the quality for such a tiny inexpensive camera. But that was under non stage lighting with little or no gain.

This camera isn't for low light concerts or rack focus shots and shallow dof interviews. I get under a limited budget you use what you can afford but it seems to be more like you're exceeding the limitations of the camera.

I finally looked at your videos and stand by everything I said before seeing them about the moire and the pink shirt. I grant you the camera has some oddities but there isn't anything defective.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; December 9th, 2016 at 02:18 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2016, 10:28 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Czarnecki View Post
Thank you for that detail, that is the best advice to answer these concerns. I found out today that when JVC sent the letter blaming camera operator they also sent the cameras back. They are not going to look at the problems. Thanks to your insights I can do more investigation and ask better questions to JVC support.

Vimeo
Tha footage is worrisome as the camera should at least be catching the focus in the center of the frame. Why the camera had a bit of restaurant booth to the left in focus and not the people or the center is baffling to me. Does your camera have a focus zone option? On my Panasonic GH camera, using the LED screen, you can decide where in the frame the auto-focus should focus which is great for tripod filing but terrible for handheld. I almost never used it. You should really test the zoom the way we have described. The broken HM600 zoom I returned had similar focus problems as your zoom is showing in this clip.

Auto focus is not reliable with very wide shots, especially in dark rooms with the subjects not taking up a significant portion of the frame. Shooting theatrical productions I have used DSLR cameras that will be in focus and suddenly decide the background 15 feet behind should be the focus point. Even with "face detection" enabled. The interviews you just posted can be focused manually, there's no reason to use the autofocus in a stable situation like that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders