4 Panasonic lenses -- does anyone use these. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old October 22nd, 2016, 07:01 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: 4 Panasonic lenses -- does anyone use these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
I try not to zoom while shooting, because I just don't like the look it creates.

I'm sorry I didn't add that lightweight was perhaps my priority. I tried the Rokinon JVC sent and it made the 300 front-heavy and overall way too heavy. Of course, I liked the fact it used the full sensor.

The 12-35 would be my choice -- but a 3X range seems a bit small.

So the 12-60 looks like my only choice. f/3.5-5.6 is nasty, but I realized I almost never shoot indoors or at night. My problem is reducing light in Vegas or Asia.

Does anyone have experience with it on the LS300?

PS: I just went thru everything I could find on Amazon and I don't see any Panasonic primes in the 60mm to 80mm range. With virtual zoom this would yield about a 15mm > 60mm to a 20mm > 80mm lens "zoom" lens. As a prime it should be faster than a zoom. Of course, it would need OIS. Did I miss something?
A prime with OIS. Now that's something I could use, anybody at Panasonic listening?

Also, yes I have to agree with you that this camera becomes very front heavy with certain lenses if you are using the hand grip. You might want to get the larger capacity JVC battery just for balance. The very heavy 14-140 would be a tough job even then. With the smaller Panasonic lenses (and some of the Olympus lenses), the balance is very comfortable for handheld work.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 07:49 PM   #17
HDV Cinema

It seems fine given the look of the whole situation which looks like a club should look.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 08:48 PM   #18
Inner Circle

You should see the grain in motion, not very aesthetic. Possibly the combination of grain and h264 compression is making it worse. Maybe I'm over reacting. Once I get the audio track from the sound recordist I'll edit the concert and perhaps not mind as much.
Old October 25th, 2016, 04:11 PM   #19
HDV Cinema

h264 does not like noise or grain. when I see perfectly clean low light video it seems a bit fake. I was fine with how yours looks.

I upload everything using ProRes 422 LT -- never h264. that means only the distribution is h264 long gop.
Old October 26th, 2016, 06:08 AM   #20
Regular Crew

William,
The LUMIX 42.5mm f/1.7 has power O.I.S. I believe it is the only Panasonic prime that has it. I agree though, more O.I.S. primes would be very nice.
Old October 26th, 2016, 09:51 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
h264 does not like noise or grain. when I see perfectly clean low light video it seems a bit fake. I was fine with how yours looks.

I upload everything using ProRes 422 LT -- never h264. that means only the distribution is h264 long gop.
That was a still taken directly from the 50mbps h264 video file. Sometime I might assess the camera directly with SDI out and see how much is the camera and how much is the compression.
Old October 26th, 2016, 02:47 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Balling View Post
William,
The LUMIX 42.5mm f/1.7 has power O.I.S. I believe it is the only Panasonic prime that has it. I agree though, more O.I.S. primes would be very nice.
Thanks for the info. Not so good for standard handheld work. A 20mm with OIS would work great.
Old November 1st, 2016, 01:24 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Because of the various comments made on Panasonic lenses, and that they are mostly made with consumer-grade use in mind... Would it be better to invest in something like a rokinon cinema DS, even if it obviously costs much more to start out with... but then in the long run, it would work out better? for the time being i only have 2 panasonic lenses, just to get me started, but am looking at the best strategy for the long term. i don't mind weight at all.
B.J. Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 09:42 AM   #24
Inner Circle

For tripod work, the manual only Rokinon lenses would be fine. I have them in mind, especially the 12mm to expand the range I have. That particular lens itself is half a pound. Not great for hand-held without a shoulder brace.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders