DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/)
-   -   Does the LS300 have a dedicated stills feature? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/532899-does-ls300-have-dedicated-stills-feature.html)

John Vincent October 19th, 2016 06:22 AM

Does the LS300 have a dedicated stills feature?

I've been using the humble Sony VG20 for most of my shooting for 3 years now. It's been a remarkably tough little camera that punches way above its weight.

But obviously, a camera like the LS300 is superior in a whole lot of ways (4K, higher data rates, ND wheel, XLRs, yada).

The one thing I can't seem to find out though is whether or not the LS300 has still camera mode feature or button. Technically, the VG20 is a hybrid as it has a separate stills mode and dedicated button. And while it's a bit clunky (mostly due to the form factor of the VG20), it does make nice still pictures - a feature which has saved my butt more then once.

So, can the LS300 take stills? Probably not a deal breaker, but it is a feature I want.

Bonus question: Does the LS300 have a touchscreen? That's another feature of the VG20 I've come to love (well, except in freezing weather).

Thanks!

Luke Miller October 19th, 2016 06:48 AM

Re: Does the LS300 have a dedicated stills feature?

I haven't come across a stills mode, but a LS300 4K frame grab can make a nice still image.

William Hohauser October 19th, 2016 09:15 AM

No stills. No touch screen. It's built as a video camera.

If you have the shutter speed fast enough you can get decent action 4K stills from the video file. And you can pick the best moment from a large selection. Whether the compression is as good as a still from a DSLP is a question I don't have the answer. Plus the video file might not look great as a motion file as high shutter speeds make action look strange in certain situations.

Steve Rosen October 19th, 2016 02:46 PM

Yeah, all of the above. Frankly I don't want either of those features in a dedicated video camera.

The LS300 has built in NDs, a good XLR based audio section, the 4K option, doesn't need an IR filter and has the amazing ability to use a lot of different lenses in a lot of different formats. That's enough for me.

B.J. Adams October 20th, 2016 07:24 AM

No stills. I had to buy a basic Nikon 3300 to do some photography work.
I don't think S35mm cinema cams are doing stills anymore these days.

John Vincent October 24th, 2016 07:44 AM

Thanks guys for the response... even if it's not what I wanted to hear.