DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/)
-   -   Quite a deal: HM170 with audio unit, under $1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/533138-quite-deal-hm170-audio-unit-under-1000-a.html)

Chris Hurd November 28th, 2016 07:56 AM

Quite a deal: HM170 with audio unit, under $1000

It's a Cyber Monday deal from B&H. No idea how long it will last but $995 is an excellent price for the HM170 plus top handle / audio unit.

Run, don't walk, to JVC GY-HM170UA 4KCAM Compact Professional Camcorder with Top Handle Audio Unit at B&H

Jim Nogueira November 28th, 2016 12:32 PM

Re: Quite a deal: HM170 with audio unit, under $1000

Keep in mind that there is no SDI and no live streaming with this cam. Also, takes different batteries than the 200 and LS300. Otherwise, I would have jumped. Great deal for those who don't need the aforementioned stuff.

Lee Powell November 28th, 2016 01:11 PM

Even cheaper at Adorama, but the HM170 lacks J-log1 :(

Rob Katz December 1st, 2016 07:02 AM

that is such a TINY sensor compared to 1" or m4/3.

has anyone used this camera successfully and if so, can you please share your thoughts on the image quality?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
smalltalk.productions

Jeff Pulera December 1st, 2016 09:20 AM

Hi Rob,

I got my hands on a demo/loaner unit earlier this year and was not at all impressed with indoor video quality. This camera needs a lot of light or image is garbage.

The specs of the camera look fantastic, has all the right features, but in reality is very lightweight plastic in the hand and I thought the picture (indoors) was very poor. Sent it back.

I've seen video reviews where the camera was used outdoors in daylight and it can make very good images. Note it lacks proper ND filters for bright sun, so you'd have to purchase and screw them on as needed.

There is a funky issue with the lens where you lose several stops as you zoom in, so even in broad daylight, zooming in on distant subject makes a much darker image. Imagine this indoors with mediocre light for wedding, event, meetings, stage productions. Unacceptable.

Was helping a friend choose a new camera, steered away from the HM 170 and ended up with the Sony PXW-X70 unit, with 4K option. A well-built camera that feels quite solid in the hand, not light plastic. The 1" sensor makes absolutely amazing video!! Very happy with this camera.

I guess if you only plan to shoot outdoors, then the JVC is quite a bargain and would do the job (with ND adapters), but I would not consider it myself for indoor work at all.

EDIT: Sony has HD-SDI as well as HDMI out

Thanks

Jeff Pulera