In a perfect world... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old March 5th, 2017, 10:58 AM   #1
Major Player

In a perfect world...

...I'd like to have my old B&W viewfinder working on this (my friends) LS300. Tried shooting outside yesterday and it was not a pleasant experience, to say the least. I've had this idea to mod up my old Sony Betacam viewfinder for some time so that I could use it on cameras I may rent. I think now is a good time to go ahead with that project.

The camera is outputting standard def video from the AV jack all the time. They are using a 4-pole 3.5mm plug kind of like what is found on the iPhone. I should be able to make up a mount that slides into the shoe atop the handle. Power for the VF can come from a small external battery perhaps added to the bottom via the 1/4 x 20 tripod mount socket.
Attached Thumbnails
In a perfect world...-mockup.jpg  
Old March 6th, 2017, 08:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: In a perfect world...

I have that same viewfinder in a drawer somewhere, hated it then, would hate it even more now... For around 600 bucks you can get a Z-Finder Pro EVF - it's lighter, much smaller, self-powered, sharper, color or B&W, has zebras, it's own peaking and 1:1 focusing aids and it's HDMI...

I'm a DIY guy, so I understand the compulsion to do this kind of thing, but I'd put the effort elsewhere.
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 11:18 AM   #3
Major Player

There were different versions of this viewfinder. The one that came on my camera did not have peaking and was not all that sharp. This was one for another model Sony that I was able to buy as NOS. It has an internal peaking circuit and better contrast than the first.

It may work and it may not. If not I'm out the cost of the 20-pin socket. I like a challenge and I like to save $$ when I can.
Old March 6th, 2017, 12:53 PM   #4
Major Player

In daylight I often use a Hoodman EX1 loupe on my LS300. It's a very good fit, if a little weighty.
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Duncan I was curious how a LCD loupe like that would work as far as the LCD door supporting the weight of it? Does it attach to a more stable part than the door?

I ask because I had issues with the 'flimsiness" of the LCD door on a JVC 750, so I'm wary of hurting that little door, really does seem like it will be easy to catch on something and twist loose or off.
Jay P. Kaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:40 AM   #6
Major Player

It's quite heavy yes, my LCD door is very wobbly and there's screw loose inside. Although I don't think it's related to the loupe weight.
Old March 7th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #7
Inner Circle

An ideal loupe for the LS300 would attach to the tripod mount much like the loupes for DSLR cameras. Not likely anyone will make one.
Old March 8th, 2017, 06:28 PM   #8
Major Player

It would probably be really easy to make one though - if I wasn't locked into my EVF (which I also had to design and build a simple mount for) I'd give it a try... although attached to the top of the handle would be lighter and make it easier to mount on and off a tripod...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2017, 10:31 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rosen View Post
... although attached to the top of the handle would be lighter and make it easier to mount on and off a tripod...
Which is why using an old CCD camera viewfinder would make sense. Easy enough to make a mount to slide right into the hot shoe of the handle. The LCD is still available for checking color, system specs etc. For shooting and focusing outside in bright sunlight the extra VW would be a welcome addition.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders