DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/)
-   -   Japanese garden on the jvc gy ls300 part II (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/533811-japanese-garden-jvc-gy-ls300-part-ii.html)

Noa Put March 28th, 2017 09:41 AM

Japanese garden on the jvc gy ls300 part II

Went to the Japanese garden (again, previous video you can see here: vimeo.com/162712903) near my hometown because the trees have started blossoming much sooner then last year, last time I went I took my jvc with me but I was not so satisfied with the result, I shot in jvc's log mode but had a hard time getting the right color out, I didn't have a LUT back then so messed a bit with the color but I didn't look like I wanted. So today I tried something different and now I like it more, I shot in cinema gamma with cinema subdued color matrix and I used Andrew Reids LUT with some minor adjustments and now the color pops. The JVC is actually a pretty awesome camera, the only thing that I don't like about it is that I need a bigger slider and heavier tripod to carry it's weight so I need to drag more stuff around. I prefer to work light with small camera's like the gh4. I shot in C4K at 24fps using the entire s35 sensor, there is some minor vignetting on some lenses but nothing problematic. I used a 9-18mm olympus for my very wide shots, a 25mm f1.4, 42,5 f1.7 and 75 f1.8 lenses.
People complain that the lcd of the jvc is so bad and eventhough it lower resolution the peaking is very good and accurate, even in full sunlight I"m able to nail focus without a problem using it's magnification and peaking. Also it's build in ND make a big difference, there was a glaring sun with no clouds and I shot wide open on all lenses, max shutter was 1/250 that I had to use with a 1/64 ND.
Here is the result: for highest quality you have to select 4K viewing because vimeo messes up the 1080p conversion if 4k is the source.

Jay P. Kaley March 28th, 2017 01:59 PM

Re: Japanese garden on the jvc gy ls300 part II

That looks cool, what a beautiful place. Liked the shots when you caught the petals falling and the slide past the lone duck. The slider moves are really nice, the pull back thru the fence in the foreground was an especially good one. I've got a slider on order I'm really looking forward to using, it does bring a nice feel.

I've been spending so much time trying to get J-log and LUTs down that I've neglected the cinema gamma because I've never used Log before this cam. I feel like J-log is still a bit of a wildcard, when I get it right it looks good but if not it's kinda flat or lacking that "pop" like you said, and I don't know for sure what i'm getting right when I do lol.

What custom settings did you use in cinema? I haven't messed with those and if you don't mind I'd be curious the settings you used for comparing.

Thanks for posting the video, I really like seeing stuff people shot on this cam, there isn't a ton out there.

John Vincent March 29th, 2017 06:41 AM

Yup, very nice footage (I liked the duck shot too)...

And I'd ditto the settings request!

Good work Noa.

Noa Put March 29th, 2017 09:26 AM

Thx :) I did choose the following setting:

gamma: cinema
level: +3
color matrix cinema subdued
color gain: I used +4 but it's better to stay at 0 or use negative values, the LUT I used adds quite a lot of chroma and I had to dial that down in post.
master black +2
knee 85%

the rest I left at standard stetting, then I applied a LUT I bought from EOSHD called EOSHD procolor which is for the GH4 but seems to work well on the JVC, it pushes the color more towards red and lifts the blacks and midtones a bit, it seems to work out great for outdoor shots but I don't like it as much for indoor shots as the red overpowers the image a bit, especially skintones inside look too red to me.

Noa Put March 29th, 2017 09:28 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some before and after I applied the LUT shots:

John Vincent March 29th, 2017 04:21 PM

Thanks! I'm using the EOSHD procolor for the A6300 and am very happy with it... (the A6300 itself not so much - too finicky)

I was wondering how the "normal" in camera (ie -non flat) settings are. I would much rather get my "look" in-camera whenever possible, even if I'm giving away some dynamic range....

James Manford April 1st, 2017 07:17 AM

Absolutely brilliant as always.

Funnily enough I showed your EA50 japanese garden film to some body that was interested in buying mine. He purchased it after seeing your video ! :D

Noa Put April 1st, 2017 11:27 AM

Good thing you showed my film because otherwise you never would have gotten rid of that camera, haha.

Jay P. Kaley April 2nd, 2017 08:33 AM

Noa when you shoot in cinema do you use the 'WDR' setting, and if so what do you feel like it adds?

Noa Put April 3rd, 2017 01:34 AM

No, have not used WDR yet during a shoot, I tried it once to see what it does but it looks like it's only over exposing the image, not increasing the dynamic range.

W. Bill Magac April 3rd, 2017 10:41 AM

Noa, looks like the LUT you used added a lot of warmth to the video. On my old JVC HD250U I used a color profile I think was created by Tim Dashwood called TRUECOLOR. One of my clients prefers a more natural looking color profile. I have yet to determine the camera settings that will give me this natural truecolor profile. I've only had the LS300 for three months and an still getting used to it.

Noa Put April 3rd, 2017 12:01 PM

The EOSHD procolor lut was applied, I think it works great for outdoorshots but not so great indoors, adds too much red.