DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/)
-   -   LS300 Support for iOS Personal Hotspot - Request (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/534066-ls300-support-ios-personal-hotspot-request.html)

Al Slamecka May 8th, 2017 12:03 PM

LS300 Support for iOS Personal Hotspot - Request

A while back I spent some time trying to get my LS300 with a USB wifi dongle to connect to the 'Personal Hotspot' on my iPhone 6S.

My idea was to be able to broadcast to YouTube using the LTE connection from my iPhone as the uplink. I have a few iOS apps that do this natively with iPhone video and the quality is quite good over LTE.

Unfortunately the LS300 (at least with my USB adapter) would not connect to my iPhone's hotspot although I seem to recall the LS300 let me select the SSID that my iPhone was broadcasting. I also recall It just sits there trying to connect.

It'd be a nice feature to have in a future firmware update and seems complimentary to their live streaming strategy.

Anyone else think this would be worthwhile for JVC?

Aaron Jones Sr. May 8th, 2017 09:05 PM

Re: LS300 Support for iOS Personal Hotspot - Request

Just ordered my LS300 and from all the different things I have read on line and on this forum I would say that I would like the ability to control the cam without being near it. I want to be able to start and stop recording, optical zoom, and aperture control through wifi. Should be able to control from an app. Also multi camera control. I will have two of this beast and it would be awesome to be able to control them both remotely. At least be manually operating one and be able to remotely control the other. This would interest me. From what I have read I think you are suppose to be able to do something close to this from a computer application.

Page 164 of the owners manual
http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/4k...GY-LS300EN.pdf

Nick Haman May 8th, 2017 11:13 PM

You can control the camera from your phone, but you do it through a web page instead of having to download a specific app. It also gives you a preview. you will still need a wifi dongle though. I've tested it myself and it works well. I'm not sure how well it works with two cameras linked up though, you may need two devices? Or maybe you can have it in tabs - it'll be interesting to test.

About the OP, the iPhone tethering and live streaming. I have some downtime today, so I'm happy to try to link to my phone's network and try broadcasting something. I'll post back with my findings later. I've done it before through a normal wifi connection, and don't see any reason why this would be any different... being able to go through a phone connection would certainly be a cool feature.

Stein Onshus May 9th, 2017 02:33 AM

Hi,

I struggled some on this to allow live streaming from the iphone and then - after a short while Youtube actully showed a very short received video - I think it is the speed that is the problem here . A Speed test showed upload via the iphone 4g is very unstable between 1 and 10 mb, while my stable optical bb is >80/80 and 1080 streaming works fine with same setting. The Live message on LS300 screen goes from red in bb to yellow with a message bubble on 4g. Will test when on faster 4g upload - when available. Same settings should work when both have a connection - at least my view at the moment.

my settings

Type- access point
ssid "my phone"
Security WPA2
passphrase *****
DHCP off
ip address 192.168.0.1
mac addres ......

Nick Haman May 9th, 2017 07:44 AM

Ok, so I just tested this with my iPhone 6. I was able to live stream, but i don't think anyone would sit through the video, it was very choppy. I also changed the camera settings to stream at 720p at 3mbps, but it still didn't help much. I set it up in exactly the same way I did for my home wifi network, and those settings work fine, so I can only assume that the 4g wasn't cutting it speed wise.

The video that Youtube saves for watching later is fine though, which is strange. To me, that means all the frames and data are being sent, but when you watch it live, it's.... crap.

I don't know much about live streaming at all, so maybe there's a setting I'm missing. What I do know though, is that it is possible to send the image from the camera to the internet via a phone. I hope that helps.

Al Slamecka May 9th, 2017 04:53 PM

Nick - thanks very much for testing this, I'll have another go at it to see if I can get it to work.

With respect to the quality of the stream, I've never been able to achieve a decent stream from the LS300 when connected to my home wifi router when my upstream broadband was around 5Mbps. I upgraded to a gigabit fiber connection at the house and now the stream is great but I felt it should have been better at 5Mbps.

Comparatively, I've found that the video stream over wifi and LTE / 4G straight from my iPhone using Livestream, UStream, and other apps is pretty good... definitely better than I was getting with the LS300 at my old broadband speeds. It felt to me that the bandwidth of the LS300's wifi connection was a good bit below the max speed of the 802.11n standard.

Appreciate the feedback and will test more on my end tomorrow.

William Hohauser May 10th, 2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Haman (Post 1931962)
Ok, so I just tested this with my iPhone 6. I was able to live stream, but i don't think anyone would sit through the video, it was very choppy. I also changed the camera settings to stream at 720p at 3mbps, but it still didn't help much. I set it up in exactly the same way I did for my home wifi network, and those settings work fine, so I can only assume that the 4g wasn't cutting it speed wise.

The video that Youtube saves for watching later is fine though, which is strange. To me, that means all the frames and data are being sent, but when you watch it live, it's.... crap.

I don't know much about live streaming at all, so maybe there's a setting I'm missing. What I do know though, is that it is possible to send the image from the camera to the internet via a phone. I hope that helps.

How are you watching it? On the same network you are sending the video stream? This could have something to do with it.

Nick Haman May 10th, 2017 01:05 PM

No, I tested it at home, but with wifi turned off on my phone, and camera connected to my phone. Then my laptop on the home wifi with the youtube stream page open.

Al Slamecka May 10th, 2017 04:05 PM

Nick - a bit confused by your last post. Can you elaborate on how the LS300 is connected to your phone?

Thanks, Al

Nick Haman May 11th, 2017 02:28 AM

Sure, So the LS300 has a wifi dongle in, connected to my iphone 6 through personal hotspot.

I turned the wifi off on my phone to ensure it wasn't connected to the home wifi at the time of testing.

My computer, though, was connected to the home wifi so I could view the stream coming from the LS300 (via phone's 4g signal).

Basically, I was watching the stream on a different network to the one the camera was using to send the footage.

I hope that clears it up :)