Has Anyone Used LS300 With External Monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old August 14th, 2017, 11:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Has Anyone Used LS300 With External Monitor

I have been have mixed results with my LS3 and more so when I hire a cam op. I have a few experienced cam ops that I have been using for a while and I see they struggle sometimes to get exposure spot on with the cam in full manual.

Have any of you tried out external monitors with better success? I just ordered to cheapos and they will be here in a couple of days. I was curious and figured that since the HDMI output 4.2.2 10bit I could get a descent view for exposure variations. I plan to grab the Atomos Inferno so that I can record 4K 60fps 4.2.2 10bit but in the mean time I wanted to satisfy my curiosity and see what this little experiment will produce.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Has Anyone Used LS300 With External Monitor

I just got lucky and bought a super cheap Atomos Ninja Assassin, and so far it's been a great help. That said, I never had any issue with exposure and focus on the camera its self.

I mainly got the monitor because I'm filming more and more interviews solo, so this way I can have it on a tripod between me and the talent and glance at it to check various things. I'm also planning on recording with the LUT baked in to save time in post - I know I'm going to put it on anyway, so let's just skip a step.

I do think this is a hard camera to just pick up and go. You definitely need some time to get to know it, but having a reliable monitor will definitely make that easier for any op.

If you like, I'm going to shoot some test stuff on Wednesday, so I can put up some comparisons. Let me know what you'd like to see out the recorder (LUT baked in or not etc.) Unfortunetely I have missed out on that 4K50p, but it's not something I NEED, and the 1080 50p through the monitor will stand up for sure, at least for another few years at least.

Last edited by Nick Haman; August 15th, 2017 at 12:30 AM.
Nick Haman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 11:45 AM   #3
Inner Circle

This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice monitor for the price, clients like it and it has a number of exposure and focus assist functions that do help. I find that flesh tones get a little neon towards higher luminance levels but it's so much better than the LCD that I have it in the kit at all times. Battery life is good as well.
Old August 15th, 2017, 01:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've used an external monitor with the LS300, but found it useful only for framing and manual focus. For foolproof recording in the field, I recommend using J-Log1 exclusively, as its user controls are limited to setting ISO, white balance, and exposure. The most reliable way I've found to set exposure is by presetting the zebra to Bottom: 95% and Top: OVER. This enables you to see exactly where overexposure occurs, regardless of monitor brightness settings. The histogram is useful for confirming zebra readings and monitoring shadow exposure. I ignore the so-called spot meter, its percentage readouts are completely unreliable.
Lee Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 07:34 PM   #5
Major Player

I only use an EVF with the LS300... Usually a Gratical X, to which I've added scopes and peaking. But occasionally the Z-Finder Pro, which is considerably cheaper (and I actually prefer, I like the bigger screen).

I've found that the secret to good exposure is learning whatever viewing device you're using through experience (although the built in LS options do suck)... Sticking an operator who is unfamiliar with the LS is a mistake... Give him the camera for a few days and if he's any good he'll figure it out.., That's what I do...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 08:10 AM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice monitor for the price, clients like it and it has a number of exposure and focus assist functions that do help. I find that flesh tones get a little neon towards higher luminance levels but it's so much better than the LCD that I have it in the kit at all times. Battery life is good as well.
I bought a Feelworld FW760 to use with the LS300 and I like it. Hard to beat that price for a monitor that can accept a UHD signal.

Funny that this thread comes out and I just finished an On Camera Monitor comparison: http://go.spaceage-llc.com/OnCamMonitors. I've rented and used the Atomos Ninja Inferno for a video shoot with the LS300 and I love it. I would have trouble choosing between the Ninja Inferno and the Blackmagic Design Video Assist 4K, especially after the recent firmware update for the Video Assist 4K which added some nice features.
Old August 16th, 2017, 09:07 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J Baker View Post
I would have trouble choosing between the Ninja Inferno and the Blackmagic Design Video Assist 4K.
Really? I tried a Video Assist 4K before buying my Ninja - not the Inferno, but the software/usability is the same. I much prefer the Atomos. Recording straight to HDD or SSD instead of BM's recommended SD cards is actually a lot cheaper, and easier to use, I'd happily edit straight off the SSD if I need to, but would worry about that with SD. The menus are nicer to navigate and you don't have to worry about remember which 'gesture' does what to get which menu up. All that and then being able to record with a LUT baked into an image if you want makes it a much better choice in my opinion.

Atomos is also quieter with the fans, lighter, and even though the screen is the same size, the Atomos is physically smaller, although a little wider.
Nick Haman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 06:35 PM   #8
Major Player

Ok fellas I have made some adjustments to the LCD Screen to match my footage. It was off and I can see now why I was hitting and missing with exposure.

I got a 7" Monitor and I attached it to the LS3 and went outside to shoot. I found that the LCD screen was darker than the footage shot. How did I compare you ask? Good question! Outside in shot in Jlog1. I shot the grass, my truck, houses with the sky on the frame, houses without the sky in the frame... I took that footage inside and loaded it into PP. I first matched the 7" monitor with the footage in PP (I will list those settings down below for those interested). Then I matched the 7" monitor with the LS3 LCD screen. In Jlog1 the colors are a bit washed and that is to be expected. The monitor was connected via HDMI and when I switched to Log I saw the profile in the 7" monitor change as well. Here is what I found though. The HDMI has a better color output than what the LCD Screen shows on the LS3. The grass looks more to the green side in the footage in PP, but the grass on the LCD screen has more of a yellow tint which gives a bit brownish look. So I matched the LCD Screen with the Monitor and then verifying it by comparing to the PP footage I made these adjustments:

**The Time Code On LS3 Playback Allowed Me To Match The Same Frames In PP**

LS3 LCD Screen Adjustments
LCD Bright: +1
LCD Contrast: +1
LCD Backlight: -1

Monitor - Viltrox 7" DC-70 HD
Picture Mode: User
Contrast: 33
Brightness: 67
Saturation: 50
Sharpness: 50
Backlight: 70
Color Temp: User
Red: 128
Green: 121
Blue: 128

There was nothing I could do about the color tint on the LCD screen but I was able to accomplish what I set out to do. I found variance from the actual footage and the look of the LCD screen and was able to make the adjustments in Jlog1.

In 709 the colors are very close to a exact match with these settings. I will put together a video and try to show the differences from default settings and then to the adjustments.
Old August 19th, 2017, 06:54 AM   #9
Major Player

I'm shooting a wedding today and I have confidence to shoot in Jlog and will see how things turn out.

Update: DO NO, I WILL SAY IT AGAIN, DO NOT GET THE VILTROX DC-50 TO USE WITH YOUR CAMERA. ONE MORE TIME - DO NOT GET THE VILTROX DC-50 TO USE WITH YOUR CAMERA. Although it does show what is in the frame, I believe that is the only use that it has along with peaking. Peaking seems to work exactly as the LS3 peaking. Color is way off and you can not adjust it back into place. The Monitor is a SD quality and will not give you the what you are looking for.
Old August 24th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Jones Sr. View Post

**The Time Code On LS3 Playback Allowed Me To Match The Same Frames In PP**

LS3 LCD Screen Adjustments
LCD Bright: +1
LCD Contrast: +1
LCD Backlight: -1
Just an update:
I shot a wedding with these settings last weekend and I did not miss all. My exposure was on point. I shot in low light where I needed to break out some light. I also shot outside during bubbles and remote pics.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 07:16 PM   #11
New Boot

One of the reasons I looked for a monitor with False color was to help with exposure. It makes the world of difference for me.

I recently did a quick video with my LS300 but did not have my Feelworld monitor with me and was just using the LS300 monitor and not only was the exposure off but the focus was soft. I'm really hoping they there is an upgrade that improves the monitor.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 11:12 PM   #12
New Boot

Hi Aaron,

I seem to have pretty good results using a cheap Feelworld 7" 1280p field monitor, but I've definitely noticed some exposure weirdness, curious if you or anyone else have run into this:

When I open/close the Menu, the exposure changes on the field monitor (hdmi out).

I always have my Ls300 set to JLOG1 and under LCD/VF settings at the very bottom, I disable the "LCD/VF 1D LUT" setting. This setting applies a LUT to your viewfinder preview. I find it more difficult gauging accurate exposure with the LUT applied to the viewfinder. Strange thing is, the HDMI output doesn't seem affected by the "LCD/VF 1D LUT" setting, unless the menu is opened. This might be a bug for JVC.

I opened the MENU repeatedly, and could see the LUT being applied and disabled over and over on the field monitor, but with no change whatsoever on the camera's LCD screen. Weird. It seems that the 1D Lut is ALWAYS applied to the HDMI output, unless you have the menu open. I also have my menu set to show over the HDMI (for using an evf). Anyone else messed around with the 1D LUT setting?
Steve Ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #13
Major Player

I'm sorry I would not be any help in this matter because I do not use the VF. I use the LCD Screen. I find the VF way to small for me to even use. I wish it had a monocular type of view that would make the VF larger.
Old October 24th, 2017, 08:54 PM   #14
New Boot

I don't use the VF at all, either. This setting applies to both the VF and the LCD, and I'm referring to the LCD screen. (I haven't tested this at all on the VF.)
Steve Ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 03:00 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I use the VF when using an external monitor to conserve battery life. Frequently the client watches the external monitor and it's disruptive if I use the exposure assist functions that comes with the monitor. Using the LCD and an external drains the battery faster so I use the VF to take momentary glances to see if the zebra stripes have changed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders