DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/)
-   -   JVC HM-170 clip issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-4kcam-pro-handheld-camcorders/535110-jvc-hm-170-clip-issues.html)

Jerry Jesion December 19th, 2017 03:18 PM

JVC HM-170 clip issues

I am using the HM-170 camera shooting AVCHD 1920 x 1080 60i 24M. When I get the individual clips from the card (formatted by the camera) MediaInfo shows that the audio is 1 sec shorter than the video! When I concatenate the clips on my timeline there is a 1 second gap in the audio - none in the video.

I am using Vegas (which has a feature that joins the clips w/o an audio gap using the XML info) but others using it are using Premiere and Final Cut and they have gaps when they cut the video.

Am I missing something? I have looked online and have not seen one other person mention this issue. Any help would be appreciated!!

Regards,
Jerry

Jeff Pulera December 19th, 2017 04:14 PM

Re: JVC HM-170 clip issues

Hi Jerry,

I can't speak for Vegas, or even for footage from that particular camera. However, in general, Premiere users would see audio gaps between spanned clips if they simply use File > Import to get clips into Premiere. Instead, the user should copy ENTIRE contents of SD card to new folder on hard drive, keeping complete file and folder structure from card intact on hard drive.Then import using MEDIA BROWSER in Premiere, which imports spanned clips as one long clip with no gaps, among other benefits.

I don't know if Vegas also needs that original SD card metadata to make things work?

Thanks

Jerry Jesion December 19th, 2017 09:26 PM

Jeff,
Vegas works just like Premier. It needs the file system to import the clip into the timeline with no gaps.

Thanks for the quick reply, and hopefully there is something similar for FCP.

Regards,
Jerry

William Hohauser December 20th, 2017 12:40 PM

I can only vouch for the LS-300 and FCPX but for whatever reason JVC metadata doesn't tell FCPX to bridge spanned clips. Other cameras' metadata will tell FCPX to span clips.

I either have to manually drop them into the timeline or use EditReady to create spanned clips. Either way there isn't an audio gap.

Jerry Jesion December 20th, 2017 01:47 PM

Re: JVC HM-170 clip issues (Solved)

A solution (for the Windows guys at least) is to use the old DOS Copy command! (I must admit that I am astounded that the following works!!)

1. Open a command window (not the crappy PowerShell one in Win 10)
2. Get to the folder containing the segmented files
3. Issue the command: Copy /b 1.mts+2.mts+... combined.mts

Bob's your Uncle! That's it!! The resultant file does not contain the audio gap.

Apple users can try opening a Unix window and issue the command:
cat 1.mts 2.mts > combined.mts

Regards,
Jerry