GY-HMQ10U...Another new cam from JVC - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old May 18th, 2012, 04:51 AM   #46
Major Player

Re: GY-HMQ10U...Another new cam from JVC

I have small problem with aliasing (resize from 4K to HD in camcorder) on TV, a better result can be from the blurred quad HD at postproduction (you need an JVC utility, it is only for MAC OS now). No ND filters, a lens is wide 43mm, F2,8 to F5,6 only, buttons are not friendly, EVF is 300k pixels only, it is not easy to make focus on LCD.

But picture is stunning with very nice and rich colors (I was testing this 50i record for using at broadcast).
Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Sedlak View Post
I have small problem with aliasing (resize from 4K to HD in camcorder) on TV, a better result can be from the blurred quad HD at postproduction (you need an JVC utility, it is only for MAC OS now). No ND filters, a lens is wide 43mm, F2,8 to F5,6 only, buttons are not friendly, EVF is 300k pixels only, it is not easy to make focus on LCD.
You can easily do without the JVC utility (at least in Premiere) by just dropping the individual quadrants onto a 4K timeline and adjusting their offsets to form a complete, seamless image. I've grabbed some samples and tried it. And... it takes FOREVER to render! But that really wasn't a surprise. :)
Old July 7th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #48
Regular Crew

I'm really tempted by this JVC 4K option. However, I am confused by the size of the sensor. Isn't it very small? If the sensor in a camera remains so small, but the resolution of the image increases so much, isn't that just software and spec? Is it really better resolution or just using more pixels?
Barry McGovern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Like I say, I'm really tempted by this JVC 4K option - but confused by the size of the sensor. Surely it's very small? If the sensor in a camera remains so small, but the resolution of the image increases so much, isn't that just software and spec? Is it really better resolution or just using more pixels? Or am I misunderstanding. Is each quandrant individually grabbed from the full sensor? Or am I correct in thinking that tiny sensor is giving a quarter of its size to each of the four streams? HELP!
Old August 28th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #50
Regular Crew

You know what they say, "if it sounds too good to be true..."
This does not mean that the camera is bad, merely that you get what you pay for and not a penny more (I am suspicious that you may, in fact, get quite a few pennies less).

They can cram so many pixels on a tiny sensor and achieve higher resolution but suffer from low light sensitivity. They can use spacial offsetting, which I don't really understand well, to double up the pixel duty and tease a higher resolution out via software task-management, and suffer potentially from some kind of artifacting, aliasing, or lack of sharpness/practical resolution.

If I were to test this camera, I would look very carefully at the noise levels in the shadows and color detail, particularly in areas of complex detail or fine color differences. But probably I would buy a camera that shoots 1080p at a similar price and know that I was getting the top end of 1080 instead of the bottom end of 4k.
Finn Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #51
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply Finn - some of the footage I have seen just looks like an "up-res"...
Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:45 PM   #52
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry McGovern View Post
If the sensor in a camera remains so small, but the resolution of the image increases so much, isn't that just software and spec? Is it really better resolution or just using more pixels? Or am I misunderstanding. Is each quandrant individually grabbed from the full sensor? Or am I correct in thinking that tiny sensor is giving a quarter of its size to each of the four streams? HELP!
It's not software and spec. 4K is about 9 MP only, and modern compact still cameras offer about 20MP on smaller sensors.

The JVC shoots 4K just like any other camera. The reason it exports via quadrants - It doesn't have to mind you - is to use the simple HDMI format in a brilliant way. If you had four recorders you can record four HDMI streams from the camera. It's a very simple solution to a complicated problem.

The result? A true 4K camera for $5,000.

I've never known JVC to kid around with their cameras - they are always top notch. But their marketing machine isn't as elaborate as Canon's or Sony's.
Old September 20th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #53
HDV Cinema

I've been shooting with the HMQ. Four things:

1) In shade you may need to use +6dB gain IF you want to use 1/60th.

2) You must use a 4X ND in bright sunlight.

3) Not for low-light shooting even though it's almost a 1/2" chip.

4) Very nice to use Ken Burns FX and Cropping to get FullHD production.

Very nice alias free image with no edge outlines. But, the PX10 LOOKS sharper which makes sense because the QHD must be downscaled to FHD. For me, I'd go with the PX10 if I could get my hands on one for an operational test.

Broadcast Engineering will have two stories on my HMQ experience in November.
Old September 20th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #54
Space Hipster

That's an interesting observation on the PX10. I have one, and it is pretty sharp.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #55
HDV Cinema

Can you set shutter speed to 1/60 in SP mode. Then how do you adjust aperture? When you are 1/60th and in bright sunlight -- what aperture is used? Do you use an ND filter?
Old November 29th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
Broadcast Engineering will have two stories on my HMQ experience in November.
Has that been published yet?

Thanks.
Troy Lamont is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders