New JVC 4K Interchangeable Lens Camera Announced, JY-HMQ30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old June 13th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #1
Inner Circle

New JVC 4K Interchangeable Lens Camera Announced, JY-HMQ30

Just saw this on engadget.

Mods please feel free to replace with a direct JVC link in English when it becomes available - the primary source for this JY-HMQ30 information is currently a Japanese (Google translated) page, but it does have lots more spec information and pictures:

JVC unveils $18,000 4K interchangeable lens camcorder with Nikon F-mount

Here is the translated source page:

Google Translate
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: New JVC 4K Interchangeable Lens Camera Announced, JY-HMQ30

$18,000 !!! Who on earth is going to buy one of these, when an F5 is available for not much more money?

Interesting, but unimpressed. (Unless the real price is substantially less.)
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Space Hipster

Substantially higher in price than the HMQ10. Hopefully the street price will be lower.

It's still cheaper than the F5 with the 4K attachment, isn't it? By many thousands of dollars.

And what the heck is a 1.25 type sensor? The Q10 has a 1/2.3" sensor.

Might be a 1.25" sensor.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
t's still cheaper than the F5 with the 4K attachment, isn't it? By many thousands of dollars.
Yes..... but the JVC is recording a compressed and processed signal, maybe 8 bit and onto 4 SD cards simultaneously.

With the optional back the F5 records 4k RAW - a massive improvement. OK, maybe an apples and oranges comparison, but if I was spending $18,000 I'd feel this falls between stools. Think I'd rather spend a bit more and get something which is in the top end bracket.
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I wonder what crop factor it will be...
Found the product photo shown in CES2012:
JVC HMQ30-9
(Article: JVC JY-MHQ30 4K Camcorder with Nikon F-Mount )

Compared to Sony NEX-VG30 and VG900 series: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....vgdsc07813.jpg
Setiawan Kartawidjaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 02:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The sensor measures "1.25 inch" diagonally, so the crop factor should be somewhere between 2.1x and 2.3x, which is a little bit more than a Micro Four Thirds camcorder has.
Bernd Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:16 AM   #7
Regular Crew

A quick measure of the sensor in comparison to the f-mount the sensor suggests size is about 1".

Could this be the newly presented Aptina 1" 4k sensor being used?
If so it would offer 4:2:2 and 4k@60fps.

Edit: I missed the translated page on which they call the sensor "1.25 type" sensor.
But that would suggest a sensor larger then 1" and something like the BMCC?
"Crop factor" of 2?

Last edited by Petter Flink; June 14th, 2013 at 04:27 AM.
Petter Flink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
$18,000 !!! Who on earth is going to buy one of these, when an F5 is available for not much more money?

Interesting, but unimpressed. (Unless the real price is substantially less.)
Say what? To make the F5 useable, you need to spend $25,000 + a lens.

Want to add the external recorder? now you're up to $32,000... and still need a lens.

From the translated article, it sounds like they're saying this new camera uses the same sensor as the fixed lens GY-HMQ10 (1.2/3 CMOS).

Edit: Actually it looks like it is just a GY-HMQ10 with exchangeable lens feature.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/839193-REG/JVC_GY_HMQ10U_GY_HMQ10_4K_Compact_Handheld.html

Last edited by Mark Watson; June 14th, 2013 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Did a side x side comparison of specs & pics.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:50 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
Say what? To make the F5 useable, you need to spend $25,000 + a lens.
Maybe, but you're still going to need lenses for this camera on top of the $18,000 - plus other things "to make it usable".

B&H price for an F5 plus v/f is close to $20,000. Yes, you need memory, batteries and other accessories on top of that - but same with the JVC camera. (And the F5 v/f is very good - I suspect the JVC will almost certainly need an external.)

True, you then need to spend extra to get 4k ability with the F5, but it's then RAW. Going for 4k, and spending $18,000 (plus lenses etc) implies someone going for the higher end of the market. I just don't see the JVC system of spreading the recording across 4 SD cards, and being fairly highly compressed going down too well at this point in the market. I'd also think anyone interested in this sort of camera would want a large sensor, larger than 1/2.3" anyway?

It just falls between stools IMO. Too expensive for the real budget filmmaker, not good enough for those who have got the budgets.
Old June 14th, 2013, 05:10 AM   #10
Major Player

David,

Sorry, I wasn't familiar with the saying. I feared I'd find the definition in a medical encyclopedia, but discovered it here: Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary

fall between two stools
to lose both of two possibilities by hesitating between them or trying for both.

There's only 4 reviews on B&H Photo for the GY-HMQ10, so it makes me wonder just how much success it's had, selling now for $5,000 and what kind of reception JVC expects out of this $18,000 model. Maybe I'll go up to the JVC showroom in Tokyo and see what's on display.
Old June 14th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson
I feared I'd find the definition in a medical encyclopedia, but discovered........
:-)

Yes - in this context it's just not "professional" enough to be taken seriously by people doing high end work. But far too expensive for budget film makers. Maybe "neither one thing nor the other" would have been a better saying? ( :-) )

I can see who will buy a camera like the F5/55. I can see who will buy something like the FS100/AF100. But just who is the JVC camera aimed at?
Old June 14th, 2013, 06:00 AM   #12
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
Maybe, but you're still going to need lenses for this camera on top of the $18,000 - plus other things "to make it usable".

B&H price for an F5 plus v/f is close to $20,000. Yes, you need memory, batteries and other accessories on top of that - but same with the JVC camera. (And the F5 v/f is very good - I suspect the JVC will almost certainly need an external.)

True, you then need to spend extra to get 4k ability with the F5, but it's then RAW. Going for 4k, and spending $18,000 (plus lenses etc) implies someone going for the higher end of the market. I just don't see the JVC system of spreading the recording across 4 SD cards, and being fairly highly compressed going down too well at this point in the market. I'd also think anyone interested in this sort of camera would want a large sensor, larger than 1/2.3" anyway?

It just falls between stools IMO. Too expensive for the real budget filmmaker, not good enough for those who have got the budgets.
I believe the sensor on this camera is bigger than 1/2.3". That is for the HMQ10. I think this sensor is 1.25". So, maybe close to a 4/3 sensor?

The VF on this camera is a low resolution, 250K type. Odd choice for a 4K camera. It's a carry-over from the original HM100. The monitor is high resolution, though. Also, only HDMI ports.

It is compressed 4K, but you do get 60P at 144mbps. I've heard the image from the HMQ10 looks very sharp. Maybe not a lot of dynamic range like the F5/55, of course. It's still one of the cheaper 4K cameras out there, if you really need 4K with interchangeable lenses. Four 16Gb SD cards will give you an hour's worth of 4K. That's a pretty low cost for media.

Who's gonna buy this? I dunno. I still don't understand the price. The HMQ10 is $5,000. This is basically the same camera, with a new sensor and Nikon mount. How does adding a new sensor and a Nikon mount add $13,000 to this camera? Someone on another forum wondered if the whole thing is a hoax.

Edit - Forgot the BMC4K camera. That's a far cheaper option.
Old June 14th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #13
Major Player

I think you're right, it actually is a 1.25" sensor. But apparently has the same pixel count as the 1/2.3 sensor. So does that mean the pixels are larger and there'll be better low light performance along with the shallower DOF? I saw on another site some pictures taken at CES 2012 where this camera was under glass and had two BNC (SDI?) ports, which I haven't seen mentioned in the latest specs. Just trying to find an explanation for that asking price....
Old June 14th, 2013, 07:50 AM   #14
Space Hipster

Side by side comparisons of the HMQ30 and 10, not quite to scale:

From my limited knowledge of physics, larger pixels means better low light performance. Larger sensor size mean shallower depth of field.
Attached Thumbnails
New JVC 4K Interchangeable Lens Camera Announced, JY-HMQ30-jvcsidebyside_689-1-.jpg  
Old June 14th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #15
Space Hipster

Here's the prototype at CES 2012. There appear to be two attachment points on the right side, below the lens mount. HD/SDI?
Attached Thumbnails
New JVC 4K Interchangeable Lens Camera Announced, JY-HMQ30-jvc-4k.jpg   New JVC 4K Interchangeable Lens Camera Announced, JY-HMQ30-jvc_gy_hmq-4k.jpg  

Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders