Three new JVC 4K cameras - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders

JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders
GY-LS300, GY-HM250, HM200, HM180 and HM170 recording 4K Ultra-High Definition video.

Old March 20th, 2015, 05:28 PM   #76
Regular Crew

Re: Three new JVC 4K cameras

Not the same footage from the EVS presentation but scouting the internets for more footage I found this one. the LS300 is looking mighty good. If this is without cinema subdued I can imagine the image can be far more gradable friendly after a little tweaking.

Old March 22nd, 2015, 04:19 PM   #77
Major Player

I have a Canon TV Zoom J6x11 macro lens. Considering my absolute inexperience in lenses, could this lens fit the sensor in this camera, and would this be a C-mount? What will this lens do for me? If it can be made to adapt, what adapter is recommended?

Thanks
Tim Paynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 06:43 PM   #78
Major Player

I did a little research after getting blank looks from some of you. This lens does not appear to be compatible, and even if it was, the motor will present problems.

Seems like some prime lenses from some of the older cameras could be adapted, though, making the LS300 a more practical solution. What slowed me down on this camera is the cost of a great lens to match it. I am sure the lens included in the deal is o.k., but clearly, as stated by Jim earlier, certain prime lenses will make this camera really shine.
Tim Paynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 06:47 PM   #79
Trustee

The LS300 is like a sideways DLSR with a handle and camcorder toggle controls. Just wish lenses would meet our wants in these "other" mounts!

At least give us a 16x f1.4 ENG style wide capable power zoom lens and a matching crop setting for it in the LS300.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 12:00 PM   #80
Regular Crew

Some LS300 low light and "banding" tests.

Old March 29th, 2015, 01:33 PM   #81
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Paynter View Post
What slowed me down on this camera is the cost of a great lens to match it.
If you're looking for a solution for run-and-gun shooting, then maybe you would be better to look at lenses by Olympus or Lumix with zooming capability. We've found the Olympus PRO series lenses to have excellent imaging capability, even 4K, at a nominal cost.
Old March 29th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #82
Inner Circle

Is there any news on the GW-SP100E remote head unit ?

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 10:52 PM   #83
Major Player

JVC LS300 with OLYMPUS PEN M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-50mm f3.5-6.3

Troy Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 09:14 AM   #84
Major Player

HM 170 is now $1,295

I somehow missed this camera... but was filtering on "new" cameras at B&H and this guy came up... for $1,295 it looks incredible with 4K and 422 1080p. It's on sale for $500 off right now. Based on original post this thing was almost $2,500 and it's basically 50% off from that.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1194106-REG/jvc_gy_hm170ua_4kcam_compact_professional.html
Old November 4th, 2015, 09:23 AM   #85
Major Player

this looks mighty tempting. I was considering an NX500, but this would be an ideal balcony camera. any footage available?
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 12:13 PM   #86
Regular Crew

Re: HM 170 is now $1,295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Root View Post
I somehow missed this camera... but was filtering on "new" cameras at B&H and this guy came up... for $1,295 it looks incredible with 4K and 422 1080p. It's on sale for $500 off right now. Based on original post this thing was almost $2,500 and it's basically 50% off from that.

JVC GY-HM170UA 4KCAM Compact Professional Camcorder GY-HM170UA
I own the GY-HM170 and have used it on several projects over the past couple of months. The 4K option at either 70Mbps (via v.2 firmware) or 150Mbps and the 422 1080P are big positives. The major challenge is the functional sweet spot of the lens aperture. Even though max opening is f/1.2 and the smallest aperture is f/11, the lens actually performs best between f/2.2 and f/6.3. Working within that range provides good results. There are enough controls via menu to get the picture quality dialed in to your preference, and all settings can be saved to SD card for quick switching to different shooting situations and formats. The handle attachment and easy firmware upgrade process combine to make a feature set that's hard to match at the price point.
Mark L. Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #87
Trustee

Mark, in low light, is the 18db sensitivity change when zooming from wide to telephoto a nightmare? I already shoot a LOT of 30-33db (max gain) on my little Sony X70 at telephoto, I cannot imagine how dark the image would be at night with the JVC.

I really want to like (and buy) the JVC, because I need a Zixi capable alternative to my Sony X70.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #88
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
Mark, in low light, is the 18db sensitivity change when zooming from wide to telephoto a nightmare? I already shoot a LOT of 30-33db (max gain) on my little Sony X70 at telephoto, I cannot imagine how dark the image would be at night with the JVC.
Paul, most of my stuff in tight quarters and at the wider range of the zoom, and I use an on-camera light when necessary (Amaran 198). Even in the middle of the zoom I think the maximum gain I've used so far is 12 dB, so can't give an answer to your question about high gain low light shooting at the moment.
Mark L. Whalen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC 4KCAM Pro Handheld Camcorders